Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Italics not showing in popup footnotes

I'm working on a new version of one of my ebooks at the moment, and thought it would be nice to have popup footnotes working on the Voyage. I've got the footnotes to appear in the popup window, but italics within the footnote are being displayed as normal text. If I select the "Jump to Footnotes" link at the bottom of the popup window to display the footnote full-screen, the italics appear correctly.

Is this the normal behaviour, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone?
Advert
Old 02-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Is there really nobody on MR who has any experience of creating pop-up footnotes in Kindle books?
Old 02-26-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is there really nobody on MR who has any experience of creating pop-up footnotes in Kindle books?
Hi, Harry:

Well, we create footnotes all the time; on my PPW, they pop-up. Honestly, despite all the blather I've seen on this forum, we don't do anything unusual, to make the footnotes "work" in that fashion (popping-up).

If I recall correctly, this has arisen previously, with other posters. That italics in the pop-ups seem to disappear. I personally haven't checked it, but I'll go forth and dig up my PPW, and see what I see.

ETA: Harry, although I'm sure it seems like it, I'm really not on MR every day. If you ever want to reach out, just bang at me through our email. :-)

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 02-26-2015 at 02:43 PM. Reason: A sidenote to Harry...
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harry:

Are you checking those on your PPW? Do you see the italics there, for the same book?

Hitch
Advert
Old 02-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, Hitch.

Doing the pop-ups is no problem. All you need for that is a link and a back-link and, as you rightly say, it just works, but sans italics.

The italics themselves are fine. If I use the "Go to footnotes" link at the bottom of the pop-up to jump to the full-page version of the footnote, then there the italics are in all their splendour. They just don't show up in the pop-up; they simply show as plain text.

If you're seeing the same thing, though, then I won't worry about it; I guess that's just the way it is .

Many thanks for the help.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sorry, I see that you were asking if I saw the same on my Paperwhite. I (deliberately) haven't updated the firmware on that, so no pop-ups on the PW for me, unfortunately.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:22 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Sorry, I see that you were asking if I saw the same on my Paperwhite. I (deliberately) haven't updated the firmware on that, so no pop-ups on the PW for me, unfortunately.
I was asking because I'm terminally lazy. On my PPW, I see italics in my (popped-up) footnotes. I was trying to get away with not loading this particular book to my Voyage, but...onwards and upwards. I'll side-load it and let you know.

Hitch
Old 02-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Hi, Harry:

Sorry--on both my PPW and my Voyage, I see italics in my pop-up footnotes. How are you coding the italics?

Hitch
Old 02-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'll get back to you on that tomorrow...

Many thanks for the help - it is appreciated.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:49 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

OK, this is my footnote (or endnote, if we're being pedantic):

Code:
<p class="calibre18" id="filepos997417"><a href="part0005.html#lb1">1</a>
For the benefit of any who desire more exact information, I may add that a table of
average temperatures, carefully registered day by day and week by week, is to be
found at the end of Mr. H. Villiers Stuart&rsquo;s
<span class="italic">&lsquo;Nile Gleanings.&rsquo;</span> 
[Note to Second Edition.]</p>
and the class referred to is in the CSS file:

Code:
.italic {
  font-style: italic;
}
The link to the note is:

Code:
it is cold when the wind blows strongly from the north.
<sup><a class="calibre13" href="part0035.html#filepos997417" id="lb1">1</a></sup>
As I say, the italics show up absolutely fine when the footnote is displayed as a page in the book, but not when it's a popup.

Can you see anything obviously wrong here? I can't.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-28-2015 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:07 AM   #12
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Maybe not obviously wrong (and maybe not making any difference), but isn't
<em>&lsquo;Nile Gleanings.&rsquo;</em>
instead of
<span class="italic">&lsquo;Nile Gleanings.&rsquo;</span>
much easier?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:30 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It could be that the popup window uses its own styling, and not the book stylesheets, in which case Billi's suggestion could actually make a difference.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:04 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes! Billi - you're a genius . Replacing:

<span class="italic"> ... </span>

with a simple:

<i> ... </i>

makes the italics appear in the pop-up window.

Thanks!

(I should add that the original had "<i>" tags; their replacement by a CSS class was done by the Calibre conversion from Mobi to ePub.)
Old 02-28-2015, 01:19 PM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Yes! Billi - you're a genius . Replacing:

<span class="italic"> ... </span>

with a simple:

<i> ... </i>

makes the italics appear in the pop-up window.

Thanks!

(I should add that the original had "<i>" tags; their replacement by a CSS class was done by the Calibre conversion from Mobi to ePub.)
As I was about to say...we just use <i> inside footnotes. ;-)

Hitch