Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 06-28-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
Heitor
Enthusiast
Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.

Device: iPad Air 2, Nexus 7 (2013), Zenfone 3 5.5, Kobo Aura
Option of showing footnotes as boxes over the text

Hi, Kris,

I'd like to make a suggestion for Marvin.

It works quite well with footnotes, but its usual behavior can get annoying when there a lot of them, like in nonfiction and academic writing, in which most footnotes are just the reference of the information just presented.

Because of this fact, I've come to really appreciate the way Moon+ Reader displays footnotes. First, it shows them in a box, over the text. If the reader prefers so, he can open it fully, what is useful in case of long footnotes or if one wants to highlight or copy the text.

In most cases, I just peek at the reference, and close the box quickly. In Moon+ Reader this is a no-brainer; but in Marvin the constant moves between the reading position and the footnotes can become annoying.

I've seen there was already some discussion on this, and I hope to stress this suggestion, that would greatly improve Marvin's usefulness in heavily footnoted books.
Heitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@Heitor - thanks a lot for your feedback. That's on my feature requests list. However note that for popup footnotes to work, the EPUB must support them too. So even if I did implement the functionality in Marvin, the book itself must have been created to allow for the footnotes to "pop up".

More info: http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...pub-3-and.html
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2014, 01:04 AM   #3
FredipusRex
Enthusiast
FredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Kris - I think Moon+ does something a little different. It will use the EPUB3 extension if it's there but I think it also will use a heuristic on EPUB2 files.

If I had to guess, they probably look at links (a href=) and see if there is a link back within the same paragraph or div section of the linked text. If so, it assumes that's a footnote and displays the text (sans link) within a pop-up.

Seems like something that could be doable.
FredipusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:40 AM   #4
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@FredipusRex - Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:06 AM   #5
FredipusRex
Enthusiast
FredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
It's mostly guesswork but if I was coding it, it's what I would do. Good luck!
FredipusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert