Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #16
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think my 950 from Best Buy is going back. My computer recognizes my 350 but it cannot recognize my 950. Used the useless Sony Chat Support and they said to take it back to BB or send it in to Sony for repair. They didn't give me the kind of options you get if you buy directly from Sony. Rather pissed right now. Damn Sony needs to get their act together and start treating customers better.
Oh no!! That bites... I'm sorry, Jack.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:01 AM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
The Sony store in Vegas had a printed sign up near the Readers. $249 for the 950. I had to pay Sales tax though. That's what brought the price back up since they charged tax on the $249 price rather than the net $174 price.
Well, I am perplexed as to why I got such bad customer service over the phone, or why this sonystyle store is not offering it for $249. I've never been to a sonystyle store, but I imagine that it's not too big (I imagine it to be sort of like the Sony version of an Apple store) and employees should have at least passable knowledge of the products. And I would've thought with the e-readers coming out recently, they'd be at least somewhat featured in the store.

I would just drop by, but it's about a 25 minute drive each way, so I'm not wasting that gas and time if I'm going to possibly not get it for $249.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Well, I am perplexed as to why I got such bad customer service over the phone, or why this sonystyle store is not offering it for $249. I've never been to a sonystyle store, but I imagine that it's not too big (I imagine it to be sort of like the Sony version of an Apple store) and employees should have at least passable knowledge of the products. And I would've thought with the e-readers coming out recently, they'd be at least somewhat featured in the store.

I would just drop by, but it's about a 25 minute drive each way, so I'm not wasting that gas and time if I'm going to possibly not get it for $249.
sun surfer, maybe you just got a bad salesperson? I would call the store again and speak to a different person or ask to speak to a manager. I can't see why your city wouldn't honor the $249 discount when other locations are. One time that I visited my local SonyStyle, they even had a special ereader salesperson hanging out around the display to help customers.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #19
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
The display at the SonyStyle store in Vegas sure looked like it is a system wide sale. Did you ask them to run the sku number through the computer for confirmation of price? I think you just have a salesperson who doesn't know. Ask for the manager.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:54 PM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, thanks for the advice both of you, I may try again.

And back to finding the best deal, my plan now is to see what happens on Black Friday itself. I'm hoping to find one for $229 or less, preferably $199. If not, then I think I will buy one from Sony for $249 before the 27th (I'd rather buy directly from them if I'm not getting a better deal elsewhere).

But, I'm still mulling over waiting to see if maybe there's a better deal after the 27th, if there's not a better one on Black Friday. What do you all think? Do you think there's a good chance that the 950 may go back up to $299 on the 28th and stay that way again?
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 01:09 AM   #21
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
But, I'm still mulling over waiting to see if maybe there's a better deal after the 27th, if there's not a better one on Black Friday. What do you all think? Do you think there's a good chance that the 950 may go back up to $299 on the 28th and stay that way again?
It's so hard to guess pricing! I think it might be awhile before you see $199 again because that appears to be a mistake in pricing at B&H. I wouldn't be surprised to see a permanent drop in price to $249 early next year, especially since the Nook Color has come out since Sony set the original pricing. I don't know why the Sony discount ends on Nov 27th and doesn't extend through the holiday season? You might be able to find it at $249 and possibly a little lower during December sales. I think I would probably go for the $249 at the Sony Store because I'm not a big risk-taker and I also wouldn't have the patience to keep waiting! But that's just me.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #22
ShowTime25
ShowTime25 began at the beginning.

Device: Torn between PRS-650 and PRS-950
My thinking, Sony is not going to drop prices till the supply catches up. I hope, it's going to happen in December.
ShowTime25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #23
ShowTime25
ShowTime25 began at the beginning.

Device: Torn between PRS-650 and PRS-950
Adorama and NewEgg has it in stock for 249.99
ShowTime25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:42 PM   #24
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

So, I think the sonystyle store near me must be ghetto or something, lol.

I called again today to check the price for the 950. I got a very nice man this time, who told me after checking that the price is $279! LOL! I asked him if it wasn't $249, and he checked again and said no, $279. I made sure we were talking about the same item, then I told him that's odd, because the website has it for $249 and I'd heard that other sonystyle store are also selling it for $249, some even with displays advertising that price point.

He was perplexed. He told me that if the website had it for $249, that they'd honour that price, but that it must've just went on sale online today or something (LOL). I didn't have the heart to correct his assumption, so I just left it at that.

I'm really leaning towards just getting it in the physical store Friday, but considering the help I've gotten over the phone, I'm a little nervous!
Old 11-24-2010, 11:59 PM   #25
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

sun surfer, I am sorry you are not having a good experience with your store. At least the new sales person was nicer than the last girl you talked to and made an effort to help you, which is a little less frustrating. But still the store should be more informed... I would print out the information from the Sony website and take it with you to the store. It's probably a lot easier to just show them what you want and then hand them the ad if the price doesn't scan correctly at the register. Good luck!
Old 11-25-2010, 12:38 AM   #26
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i purchased my 950 from best buy almost 3 weeks ago for 300. now they have it advertised for 250. does anyone know if i can get the difference back?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:54 AM   #27
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i purchased my 950 from best buy almost 3 weeks ago for 300. now they have it advertised for 250. does anyone know if i can get the difference back?
Just take your receipt and the ad to the store. You only have 30 days from the date of purchase though.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #28
grissley
Enthusiast
grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-950sc
Isn't it today, Black Friday in US?
I see that in adorama & BB prices are the same.
grissley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #29
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Cyber Monday is the day for big Online discounts.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #30
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
950 needs more powerful USB connection to connect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think my 950 from Best Buy is going back. My computer recognizes my 350 but it cannot recognize my 950. Used the useless Sony Chat Support and they said to take it back to BB or send it in to Sony for repair. They didn't give me the kind of options you get if you buy directly from Sony. Rather pissed right now. Damn Sony needs to get their act together and start treating customers better.
I had a 350 and replaced it with a 950. When I plugged the 950 into the USB port of my older Apple display, it wouldn't recognize it even though it had recognized the 350. Then I plugged the 950 into a macbook air, and it worked fine. Perhaps the 950 needs a more powerful USB connection -- though it may have been some other glitch.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
950, black friday, deal, prs-950, sony