Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
jmaejr, the Nook isn't the only device with some misunderstanding with respect to memory capacity.
If you own a computer with a hard drive it for sure states the capacity of the hard drive but there is no way YOU the user can access the entire HDD capacity. Some is taken up with internal OS components, some with the makers' fluff, etc.
Personally, I don't find it an issue weather the space is available directly to me or only through B&N. I find the use of the micro SD card provides all the space I'll ever need.
Of course, YMMV.
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alert View Post
jmaejr, the Nook isn't the only device with some misunderstanding with respect to memory capacity.
If you own a computer with a hard drive it for sure states the capacity of the hard drive but there is no way YOU the user can access the entire HDD capacity. Some is taken up with internal OS components, some with the makers' fluff, etc.
Personally, I don't find it an issue weather the space is available directly to me or only through B&N. I find the use of the micro SD card provides all the space I'll ever need.
Of course, YMMV.
Not exactly the same. On a HD, the difference comes mostly from the OS calculating the space is MiB (powers of 2), whereas the manufacturers calculate the space is MB (powers of 10). When you get into the hundreds of gigabytes, or terabytes, the difference is significant (1 Terabyte, 10^12, is 10% smaller than 1 Tebibyte, 2^40). Also, HD manufacturers don't restrict what you can do on 75% of the space. That said, I also agree it is a non-issue with SD cards selling so cheap.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #18
Dirty Picasso
Banned
Dirty Picasso began at the beginning.

Device: Rooted Nook Tablet
It might be a non issue with SD cards being cheap, but the point is you are not getting access what is advertised.

Think of buying a car that is advertised with 4 tires, but you can only use three of them, the fourth one is in the trunk and can only be used if one of the other three goes flat.
Dirty Picasso is offline   Reply With Quote