Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

I just put CM7 on an SD card and have it running. Unfortunately I cannot connect to the NC via USB with CM7 running. So how do I sideload files (ePubs) to the NC without a USB connection? Files I add to the SD card via my PC don't seem to show up in FileManager.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #17
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I just put CM7 on an SD card and have it running. Unfortunately I cannot connect to the NC via USB with CM7 running. So how do I sideload files (ePubs) to the NC without a USB connection? Files I add to the SD card via my PC don't seem to show up in FileManager.
Yes that is the problem booting off of an SD card, Android uses a different OS that is not recognized by Windows/Mac on Linux the directories show up fine.

The easiest way is to transfer the files wireless. You can use DropBox/Sugarsync as and in between median. Or install an app called AndSMB and share your folder*

With AndSMB you can connect your nook to your PC as long as your on the same WLAN. I typically don't connect my nook anymore to transfer files I either use AndSMB or download my books from my calibre server using the browser or Moon+ reader(Alidko has the same feature)

* I'm assuming your using windows or linux.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #18
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Many people don't realize that CM7 doesn't *automatically* mount your storage over USB when you plug in the cable. If you bring up notifications by hitting the green-arrow-in-a-broken-circle icon, you can click through to the USB screen and "Turn on USB Transfer."

I mostly use the ES File Explorer app to access my PC over Wi-Fi, though.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

andSMB was a pain. I couldn't get it to connect. However @taosaur's suggestion for turning on USB connection worked like a charm! Thanks guys.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #20
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
However @taosaur's suggestion for turning on USB connection worked like a charm! Thanks guys.
That's what happens when one assumes, I just assumed that that step did not work for your.

Just an FYI--the majority of all the Android devices work this way, you have to mount the sd card from the Android device, stock nook OS was one of the exceptions.

Quote:
andSMB was a pain. I couldn't get it to connect.
Yes it is a pain to setup access, you have to now the IP address, I used SharesFinder for that, but once you have AndSMB setup and working it's real easy to download/upload files.

=X=
Old 05-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

One last question: I flashed CM7 to the NC's internal memory. Do I have to be concerned by future NC updates overwriting it?
Old 05-21-2011, 12:35 AM   #22
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope. No B&N OS means no updates.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:33 AM   #23
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
...I flashed CM7 to the NC's internal memory...
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
First I ran CM7 from an SD card and liked it so much I flashed it to internal memory so that it would run faster. It is a lot better than the B&N hybrid crap that was installed. Now to find some good reader apps. So far leaning towards Coolreader because I prefer two-page landscape and the ability to easily add fonts and sideloaded content.

Still a big learning curve. I noticed that most apps I installed do not like using internal NC memory, so now I'm using an SD card for all data and most apps. Kind of clunky for Android to require that. Also, I'm still disappointed in the lack of screen response. It works, but the iPad is several times better. For example, even on my tiny iPod touch's screen I seldom have to retype info, but I almost always have to re-enter mistyped info on the NC. Android still has a long ways to go to become a tablet OS!

Last edited by jswinden; 05-21-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #25
taosaur
intelligent posterior

I finally got tired of messing with ROMs and dual- or triple-boots and just put the CM7.1 beta (very stable so far) on eMMC and deleted all the partitions except storage on my SD card. From here out, I'll probably limit myself to waiting for the first stable CM7.1 release (using a more recent linux kernel, .32 instead of .29) and sorta kinda keeping an eye on the Honeycomb 3.1 port.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #26
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
First I ran CM7 from an SD card and liked it so much I flashed it to internal memory so that it would run faster.
I'm glad you're liking the new OS. CM7 on the eMMC is also my preferred choice, I've noticed the device is also more stable when running off of the eMMC.

Quote:
Also, I'm still disappointed in the lack of screen response. It works, but the iPad is several times better. For example, even on my tiny iPod touch's screen I seldom have to retype info, but I almost always have to re-enter mistyped info on the NC. Android still has a long ways to go to become a tablet OS!
The screen poor response is a known nook hardware problem it's not the OS--my Galaxy S's screen is very responsive. But I guess that still doesn't explain why you are having so many typo's. You might want to try changing to a swype type keyboard like SlideIt or FlexT9.

=X=