Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #31
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattmatt View Post
I've been using the Nook Color more over the past few days and found a few other annoyances such as epubs don't rotate to landscape mode. When checking if others had this problem, I discovered this thread which documents many of the minor shortcomings of the Nook Color: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...ts/td-p/727723. It may be useful for those considering buying one. Despite these shortcomings, it is one heck of a device and I am glad that I purchased it (but wouldn't mind some updates to the software/firmware soon .

books changing to landscape mode is not an issue. It's by design, both BN bought books as well as ePub books can not be put into landscape mode.

odd ommision seeing how you can do everything else on the Nook color in landscape and it's app has landscape mode as well, but it's not a bug, so hopefully it'll be there in the first round of updates
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:18 AM   #32
pattmatt
pattmatt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
books changing to landscape mode is not an issue. It's by design, both BN bought books as well as ePub books can not be put into landscape mode.

odd ommision seeing how you can do everything else on the Nook color in landscape and it's app has landscape mode as well, but it's not a bug, so hopefully it'll be there in the first round of updates
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that about ePub, I had a lot of pdf files in my Sony 900 and only converted them to ePub because of the lack of bookmarks, etc., in the Nook Color. I, too, hope that they add a landscape orientation to ePub books since it can make them easier to read if the lines are breaking awkwardly while in portrait mode. Either that or give me bookmarking (or just remembering where I last left off) in their pdf reader since it handles auto-rotating to landscape mode.
pattmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #33
Gdzhlpr
Connoisseur
Gdzhlpr began at the beginning.

Just purchased my NOOK yesterday. Great Hardware! I'm still learning and will have plenty of questions. I will read this thread in my spare time. However I wanted to share a quick tip on how to get 10% off at B&N.
Purchase the holiday cards $300 worth. You'll receive $30.00 in gift cards you can use to purchase books after christmas. I did not buy a cover and have excess funds now. The NOOK fits in my planner. Anyone have Pro/Cons to get a cover? Also I am curious about the insurance $50 is a lot but for accident pron people like me. well I may just go back and purchase.
Gdzhlpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #34
Grayce
Grayce has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grayce has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grayce has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grayce has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook and NOOkcolor
I would suggest looking into a Squaretrade warranty if you are looking for a warranty. I got a 3 year warranty with accidental damage for just $30. It's normally $50 for the warranty (even at full price it's a year longer than the B&N warranty) but I had a 40% off code to use this past weekend. Codes for 20-30% off are usually easy to find and you have 90 days from purchase to buy it through Squaretrade. Accidental damage coverage doesn't start for 30 days after you purchase if you don't get the warranty the same day you get the device (I think that's what I read).

I have a cover for my e-ink nook and will be getting one for the color too. With a toddler in the house it's just a good idea to have a little protection on electronic devices. As it stands now I pick it up and take it with me or put it away any time that I move away from it.

Hope you have lots of fun with your new nook!
Grayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #35
Gdzhlpr
Connoisseur

Grayce,

Thanks for the information. I'm trying to update right now doesnt want to do the auto.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #36
Gdzhlpr
Connoisseur

I also use the Storm II blackberry which also uses the micro charger. I noticed the NOOK does not fit the phone but I have yet to try the phone charger in the NOOK. I will try to transfer files using it I'm bummed you cant charge via the pc. Just one more hardware cord I have to lug around with me.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #37
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdzhlpr View Post
I also use the Storm II blackberry which also uses the micro charger. I noticed the NOOK does not fit the phone but I have yet to try the phone charger in the NOOK. I will try to transfer files using it I'm bummed you cant charge via the pc. Just one more hardware cord I have to lug around with me.
You can charge using the PC (with the Nook Color screen off), but this will be slower than using the Nook Color charger.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #38
Gdzhlpr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
You can charge using the PC (with the Nook Color screen off), but this will be slower than using the Nook Color charger.
Awesome, then I only need to take my storm II cord and I can use for both devices.

follow-up question?

Will it charge with the screen off and Pandora on?