Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #46
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
What I'd like is a 5" ereader shaped like a phone. That would be perfect. But I don't expect one.
Barry
I'd like a 5" ereader shaped like a cat, but it would need to have very good text reflow. I can dream . . .
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:07 PM   #47
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
What I'd like is a 5" ereader shaped like a phone. That would be perfect. But I don't expect one.
Prestigio produced some phone with 6" eink screen when I was considering my own first eink device. The detail that made me hesitant about it at the time was mere 128MB of RAM. I bought a real ereader with 256MB of RAM, but discovered soon that that was insufficient too.

The thing that comes closest for now is Yotaphone, secondary screen is 5.2" eink https://www.gsmarena.com/yota_yotaphone_3-8727.php
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #48
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
There's nothing quite like the build of the Sonys, especially the x50 series. Incredible quality, amazing when you consider the age of the devices. And the 350 dimensions are 145 × 104.3 × 8.5mm, and it weighs 155 grams. And has buttons for page turning.
The Kobo Clara HD is actually only slightly larger at 157 x 111 x 8.3mm and weighs 166g. I don't use a cover and it easily fits in a pocket. I do miss my old PRS-650 though, I do admit. Perhaps I'll try reading something on it for old time's sake.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:13 PM   #49
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
The thing that comes closest for now is Yotaphone, secondary screen is 5.2" eink https://www.gsmarena.com/yota_yotaphone_3-8727.php
I've read a bit about the Yotaphone but they're pretty expensive and not lighted, i believe. I definitely want a front light.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:14 AM   #50
Ami_K
Ami_K began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 | Hanlin V5 | Nexus 7 | Lenovo Yoga tab 3
I had an issue with books causing all fonts to stop working, I believe it was calling a faulty font. It worked on the PC, but not on the reader.

I have had to modify the extern.css and add more details to the font css files so it can modify more modern css, but it works.

This has covered every book so far... (I still scrub the font details from the epubs as it removes font files and therefore makes the book smaller)

Code:
p,div,ul,dl,p[class],div[class],html,body,p[id],p[style],body[class],body[style],body[id],i[class],i[style],i[id],span,ol,ul,li,table,td,th,span[class]
As for warranties and service, I rarely have the need anyway and the modifications I do to devices usually void the warranty in the eyes of the manufacturer. (According to AUS law, software mods don't render the warranty void but they will claim it does and it's often not worth fighting them on it)

The 350 is serving me well, the contrast is definitely sufficient for night reading, the ability to modify fonts on the fly is working fine and I even added that memory enhancing font "sans forgetica".

Now I just need to find an old cover with the reader holder so I can fashion my own cover! The ereader is very very close to the A6 size. A nice leather journal cover should do nicely.
Ami_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
prs-350