Old 06-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
jasche
jasche began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
headword search

Hi folks,
I just bought this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052ZQI86

dictionary. It seems though that the headword search does not work on kindle App?!

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks in advance
jasche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Don't know what you are expecting in the way of a headword search. Headwords are no different than any other words in a Kindle search. It searches everything. Dictionaries show you the definition when you use it for lookup, if you set this dictionary as your primary dictionary.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 02:39 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
The Kindle apps are hard coded to use only the default monolingual dictionaries.

If you want to use a different Spanish dictionary, you'll need to:
- delete the monolingual Spanish dictionary (B005F12G7O_EBOK.azw), if present
- change the ASIN number of your dictionary to B005F12G7O

(You can change the ASIN number with Java Mobi Metadata Editor)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
jasche

with headword search I mean I enter a word only partialy and it would return all the partial matches beginning from the first letter.

My impression is that it works sometimes and somtimes not?!

@Doitsu what do You referr to with the monolingual Spanish dictionary? Should I own one?!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasche View Post
with headword search I mean I enter a word only partialy and it would return all the partial matches beginning from the first letter.
In that case, I misunderstood your problem. I assumed that when you looked up words in Spanish books (by clicking on them) the definitions from a monolingual dictionary (or another dictionary) would be displayed.

Quote:
My impression is that it works sometimes and somtimes not?!
Does this problem occur with all books or only some of them? If it only happens with some of the books, chances are the document language was set to English or "undefined." If the problem occurs with all the books, the dictionary lookup index might be faulty. In that case find some specific words whose definitions are in the dictionary but don't show up in the search index and report these issues to the publisher.

Quote:
@Doitsu what do You referr to with the monolingual Spanish dictionary? Should I own one?!
Of course, I didn't suggest you own a monolingual dictionary, however, since Amazon provides free monolingual dictionaries for English (UK & US), French, Italian, German, Spanish and Portuguese, it couldn't hurt to download monolingual dictionaries for the languages that you're interested in.

Depending on the Kindle app, these foreign language dictionaries are either downloaded on demand, when you look up a word in a foreign language book by selecting it or they need to be downloaded from the Archived Items page.
(The free monolingual Spanish dictionary is the DRAE - Diccionario de la lengua española - Vigésima segunda edición.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #6
jasche

currently I read my books on paper, there are only few good ebooks in spanish yet. So just typing the first three words would be a great help. But it seems that the dictionary I've got is designed for instant lookup on ebboks only.

I wherent aware of the other dictionaries besides Oxford, thanks for the tip