Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 08-03-2019, 03:55 AM   #1
mjart
mjart began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle oasis
Can't open editor

I’m Just starting to explore the more advanced features in Calibre. One of the biggest problems with the books I was given is the line spacing is inconsistent and often double spaced between lines. I wanted to explore the editor, but I can’t seem to get it to open. I highlight a book and then click on editor and it takes me to the edit window but no book. This happens if I go to access edit from the drop down menu or try and upload a book directly from the edit page. I get a message to double click a file to the left to start editing but there isn’t any files to the left. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong I just don’t no what it is. Please Help. (I have lots of questions as I know where I want to be just don’t know how to get there, thought this would be a good place to start)
mjart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #2
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
In the Editor, under View, is File Browser checked?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	172746  
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:23 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What format is the book?
Is it still infested with DRM? (I would have expected an error message to that point, but can't test as all DRM is gone from my books)

BTW 'T' is the shortcut to Edit the book
Does the Viewer show the book? 'V'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:19 PM   #4
mjart
mjart began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle oasis
Thank you phossler, I didn't know to open the browser, maybe I should start with something simpler, I just have thousands of books my daughter gave me in different formates all non-DMR and the line and paragraph spacing is so irregular the books are hard to read. thanks again for getting me started.
mjart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:37 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjart View Post
Thank you phossler, I didn't know to open the browser, maybe I should start with something simpler, I just have thousands of books my daughter gave me in different formates all non-DMR and the line and paragraph spacing is so irregular the books are hard to read. thanks again for getting me started.
One thing to remember is that calibre's editor will only open epub or azw3 files. So no editing mobi, prc, pdf, lrf, etc. ebooks. There should be an error popup when you attempt to open a non-epub/azw3 ebook.

For me, the easiest answer was to convert my collection to epub and then edit the epubs.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:57 PM   #6
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjart View Post
You'll get it - my first project was similar to yours, just trying to cleanup some poorly converted books so I could read them on my Kindle. They started life as an epub, but had been Calibre-converted so often there were 4-5 TOCs in them, along with lots of other stuff that might have been necessary for a paper version, but added nothing IMO on my ereader

I ended up deleting most of the tags to make the paragraphs left justified, some space after, headers logical, etc.

It's worthwhile learning a little CSS

https://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

to get the basics.

Or you can always ask here, but just make sure not to post any copyrighted materials
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote