Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-28-2019, 05:48 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I know the book view is no gone in Sigil 0.9.16. But could the preview be put in it's place like it used to be and have the ability to click in the preview and it moves the cursor to the same place in code view?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:22 PM   #77
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But could the preview be put in it's place like it used to be
No. Preview is a dock widget. It will not be the central widget. That spot is reserved for Code View alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
and have the ability to click in the preview and it moves the cursor to the same place in code view?
Sigil works this way now. Furthermore ... putting Preview in Book View's place would entirely defeat the purpose of Preview and Code View being simultaneously visible. That's how Preview to Code View syncing (and vice versa) is useful in the first place--they don't occupy the same space.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-29-2019 at 06:08 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #78
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Hmm, now clicking in the preview window no longer moves the codeview to match. Didn't that get re-installed in .15 (or so)?
I'm having the opposite problem: clicking in the Preview window always moves my code view to the same place, but if I click somewhere else in the code view, the preview window doesn't move at all, even if I close it and relaunch (F10). Sometimes it works, but once it stops working there doesn't seem to be any way to get it to sync again. I am moving by several paragraphs / blocks of code / pages at a time so it's not a question of it being synced to the beginning of a paragraph rather than the middle.

I'm using Sigil 9.16 with Qt 5.12.3 on windows 8.1. I'm not using PageEdit but I do have it installed, if that's relevant at all (latest version, I'm pretty sure, although I don't see anywhere to find the version number).
Mister L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:07 PM   #79
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:10 PM   #80
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Can you tie this breakage to a specific sequence of events? What happens if you close that specific CodeView tab and reopen it by double clicking in the BookBrowser? What happens if you simply switch to another tab in CodeView and then switch back?

Does either work to get syncing functioning again?

Are you sure this is the latest Sigil version?

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister L View Post
I'm having the opposite problem: clicking in the Preview window always moves my code view to the same place, but if I click somewhere else in the code view, the preview window doesn't move at all, even if I close it and relaunch (F10). Sometimes it works, but once it stops working there doesn't seem to be any way to get it to sync again. I am moving by several paragraphs / blocks of code / pages at a time so it's not a question of it being synced to the beginning of a paragraph rather than the middle.

I'm using Sigil 9.16 with Qt 5.12.3 on windows 8.1. I'm not using PageEdit but I do have it installed, if that's relevant at all (latest version, I'm pretty sure, although I don't see anywhere to find the version number).
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2019, 06:03 PM   #81
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's certainly the first I've heard of CV->Preview sync breakage since the 0.9.15 beta.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:39 PM   #82
oteksamptis
oteksamptis began at the beginning.

Device: NST
Absolutely pointless. Now you need to install two programs to edit xhtml files. Triumph of form over content. If you have a large screen, this is still acceptable, but with small screens (17 "), the preview (F10) enabled covers a large part of the screen.
oteksamptis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:00 PM   #83
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You do not need to install PageEdit at all. It was removed as WYSIWYG editing by neophytes often generated very broken xhtml. That is why more advanced users rarely used the BookView at all as editing in CodeView and seeing the result in real time in Preview allows for more correct code to be generated.

As for Preview, you can resize it at will and attach it to either side of the CodeView window at since it is a dock widget or make it float. You can also easily hide it. I regularly use it with CodeView on my 15" MacBook Pro with no issues.

The older BookView code was ported to QtWebEngine and split out into PageEdit. PageEdit is meant to be used for simple visual editing and proofing. The latest versions of both Sigil and PageEdit allow users to proof and read epubs more easily by using an External Xhtml Editor preference setting in Sigil including editing all xhtml files in spine order. See the New Features Video in the latest release.

Of course, you can always stay with the older WebKit version of Sigil with BookView as it is quite recent and still very usable.

Either way, if you have come here just to complain instead of getting help, you are too late to the party. The decision has long been made and will not be changed.

Last edited by KevinH; 09-04-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:19 PM   #84
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

And as has been already mentioned ad naseum: no one is required to upgrade to a version of Sigil they don't like. 0.9.14 will very likely work (at least on Windows and Linux) for many years to come. It's a full-featured epub2/3 editor, and if it better suits your needs... you should stick with it.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #85
oteksamptis
oteksamptis began at the beginning.

Device: NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
You do not need to install PageEdit at all. It was removed as WYSIWYG editing by neophytes often generated very broken xhtml. That is why more advanced users rarely used the BookView at all as editing in CodeView and seeing the result in real time in Preview allows for more correct code to be generated.

As for Preview, you can resize it at will and attach it to either side of the CodeView window at since it is a dock widget or make it float. You can also easily hide it. I regularly use it with CodeView on my 15" MacBook Pro with no issues.

The older BookView code was ported to QtWebEngine and split out into PageEdit. PageEdit is meant to be used for simple visual editing and proofing. The latest versions of both Sigil and PageEdit allow users to proof and read epubs more easily by using an External Xhtml Editor preference setting in Sigil including editing all xhtml files in spine order. See the New Features Video in the latest release.

Of course, you can always stay with the older WebKit version of Sigil with BookView as it is quite recent and still very usable.

Either way, if you have come here just to complain instead of getting help, you are too late to the party. The decision has long been made and will not be changed.
OK,Thanks for answer.
I don't need the wysiwyg for epub editing, but I don't think the floating window is the most rational way to preview. Certainly it's a matter of habit, but the previous solution, where the preview window replaced the coding window, was imo a better solution. Add at least the nesting option just the preview in older way.
oteksamptis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:22 PM   #86
KevinH
Sigil Developer

It is not floating unless you undocked it. Preview is a dockwidget. See sigil's View menu to enable it if somehow it is unchecked. If it is floating you can dock it.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:37 PM   #87
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
It is not floating unless you undocked it. Preview is a dockwidget. See sigil's View menu to enable it if somehow it is unchecked. If it is floating you can dock it.
And, if is floating, the simplest way to redock it is to double click its title bar, IIRC by default it docks on the right edge.

Every time I see this thread pop up in new posts I think: Oh, goody a new Sigil to play with

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-12-2019 at 11:40 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote