Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-16-2019, 06:02 AM   #1
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
my take on book browser "open with..."

1. my suggestion for next sigil version is to enable user to set default behaviour in preferences when you doubleclick xhtml/css file in book browser, so you can use editor of choice.
it is faster than rightclick "open widh..."

2. another suggestion is to allow user to open multiple xhtml/css files at once - right click could do.
now you have to open it one by one.
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
#1 is not do-able at all, I'm afraid. A double-click in BookBrowser opens/activates tabs in the central widget. Period. There is no way to give the user an option between opening tabs in the central widget and opening files an external editor. Sorry.

As for #2: there may be a way to highlight multiple files of the same type and have a right-click option to open tabs for all of them, but I'm not convinced it would be all that useful to tell the truth. Once they're all open, you can still only look at, or work on, one at a time.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-16-2019 at 08:54 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

well, i guess one can always use folder in/folder out plugins and edit html files as they supposed to be edited - in proper editor & version control.

thanx for fast answer.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:16 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post
and edit html files as they supposed to be edited - in proper editor & version control.
"Supposed to be" is, of course, debatable (every user's needs are different), but I take your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post
thanx for fast answer.
You're welcome.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
As for #2: there may be a way to highlight multiple files of the same type and have a right-click option to open tabs for all of them, but I'm not convinced it would be all that useful to tell the truth. Once they're all open, you can still only look at, or work on, one at a time.
I have a text editor (BowPad), that gives access to the entire Text folder if I use Open With on one of the files in that folder, and I can edit each file in a tab just like I can in Sigil. However Sigil will only pickup changes I make to the original file selected - which is fair enough i guess.

However, if my request that Sigil keep a list of editors used on each file type is implemented, perhaps the popup that asks for a name could include a check box - "Is this a multi-file editor?". If it is checked, when the editor terminates Sigil would pickup all changed files.

BTW - I am not sure if and how Sigil handles opening the same file via Open With different tools, IMO it should prevent or issue a warning.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	524.8 KB
ID:	169141  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #6
najgori
Klak

@DiapDealer

don't get me wrong. imho sigil is the best program for epub creating&editing, but lacks some productivity tools -faster open with... is one of them.
is it possible to at least get some keyboard shortcuts for "open with..."?

sigil (or is it qt) depends too much on a mouse. i would like to navigate in book browser with keyboard only (to go to book browser, open files in another editor, go in different folders)

i am no programmer in any shape or form and some things that look easy to me, may be impossile or very hard to code, so i am sorry if i ask for something stupid.

thanx for great work on sigil.