Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2019, 03:46 AM   #1
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Firmware feature that starts up in book?

I've had my Glo for quite some years now, since around early 2013, if I recall. But the lack of one feature that has always bugged me is that the device doesn't simply return to the page where you left off, in the book where you left off when you last shut the device down... Yes, I shut it down to save power and having to cycle the battery more often.

This seems a rather obvious feature, or at least like it'd make a lovely option on startup. In fact, I think it may have been one of the first suggestions in the firmware thread in ancient days of yore.

Kobo, can we get some love here and make the device operate a little more logically, or at least a bit more like a book does, or at least one where I remember the page I left off? I'm sure some ding-dong in Marketing had an objection, but I don't care how many times I see the homepage, I'm much more likely to be picking the darned thing up to continue reading than to run off and search for another book. It wastes enough of my time when I have to "select" the darned book multiple times to get the ball rolling on startup -doesn't always seem to get it on the first attempt.

Please don't comment that if we start up in the book someone may not to get back to the homepage. If they get into a book, chances are they'll figure it out, or they'd just get stuck as soon as they opened a book from the menu anyway.

Mild Rant Concluded...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:57 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I've had my Glo for quite some years now, since around early 2013, if I recall. But the lack of one feature that has always bugged me is that the device doesn't simply return to the page where you left off, in the book where you left off when you last shut the device down... Yes, I shut it down to save power and having to cycle the battery more often.

This seems a rather obvious feature, or at least like it'd make a lovely option on startup. In fact, I think it may have been one of the first suggestions in the firmware thread in ancient days of yore.

Kobo, can we get some love here and make the device operate a little more logically, or at least a bit more like a book does, or at least one where I remember the page I left off? I'm sure some ding-dong in Marketing had an objection, but I don't care how many times I see the homepage, I'm much more likely to be picking the darned thing up to continue reading than to run off and search for another book. It wastes enough of my time when I have to "select" the darned book multiple times to get the ball rolling on startup -doesn't always seem to get it on the first attempt.

Please don't comment that if we start up in the book someone may not to get back to the homepage. If they get into a book, chances are they'll figure it out, or they'd just get stuck as soon as they opened a book from the menu anyway.

Mild Rant Concluded...
An option would be nice, but I don't mind the current behavior, so I would want it as an option.

Maybe try requesting this in the patch request thread?

Quote:
... Kobo, can we get some love here and make the device operate a little more logically, or at least a bit more like a book does, or at least one where I remember the page I left off? ...
I think it does operate like a "book" does. Kobo Sleep is like placing the pbook down, spine up, open to the page where you are reading; simply pick up the book and continue reading. Kobo Shutdown is like dog earing the current page, closing the book, and setting it down; pick up the book, open it up, and continue reading.

IMO. YMMV.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Out of curiosity, is there a significant difference in battery life when powering off your Kobo completely versus putting it in sleep mode?
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:50 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Out of curiosity, is there a significant difference in battery life when powering off your Kobo completely versus putting it in sleep mode?
I'm curious about how much difference @TechniSol is seeing. But, it would depend on your reading pattern. If you read for a few hours continuously one day a week, it would be better. But, if you read in several short for periods every day, then sleeping is probably better.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I read fairly regularly, and my first gen Aura easily lasts weeks between charges. It might even be the case that whatever savings are realized by turning the device completely off are offset by the additional energy required for the power-on process.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert