Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Question Frequently Asked Questions (and answers too!)

Some of the community has begun to distill the commonly asked questions regarding the Kobo into the FAQ section of the MobileRead Wiki page.

Please take a quick look before creating a new question thread.

Note: It's still a work in progress. Feel free to contribute, it is a wiki after all.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Sticky this sucker!

If anyone wants to discuss the FAQ, Stinger has created a discussion page:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Talk:Kobo_eReader

That's a good place to suggest FAQ topics, or chat about edits before you make them
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
abovenizer
abovenizer began at the beginning.

Not sure who to address, having a problem when converting files to my Kobo, error message on kobo reads:the content you are trying to view is locked, please use your adobe ID to authorize your ereader with the kobo desktop application or adobe digital editions. Did a sync, and did nothing, these were PDF files transfered to Calibre and then sent to devise. I can open them both in PDF or in adobe digital editions, but cannot open in my Kobo, can anyone advise or tell me how to bypass or correct this? Thanks
abovenizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Look for ' as the source of the problem. Maybe the title or file name (folder name's) has one.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Verbatim from the FAQ:

Quote:
How do I get rid of the "Content is Locked" message for books without DRM?

Ebooks with titles or author names containing apostrophes can sometimes cause this spurious 'locked' message and render the ebook unreadable on the Kobo (although you can read the ebook using Calibre on your computer). Using Calibre, edit the title and/or author name to remove the apostrophes and re-send the ebook to your Kobo. Alternatively, if you don't wish to alter the title/author of your master copy in Calibre, you can manually remove any apostrophe's in appropriate folders and filenames on the Kobo itself.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
MrGammaRay
MrGammaRay began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Ereader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Verbatim from the FAQ:
Mystery solved. I just used ADE to transfer. It worked but couldn't figure out why it was locked when sent with Calibre. Now I know.
MrGammaRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
mulisko
mulisko began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I bought my Kobo few weeks ago. Running firmware 1.4. Every time I’m done with my reading I would power it off. After powering It on it would normally open on the page I finished. Great. ..Sometimes however looses its bookmark and opens on the very first page of the chapter I was reading. No way to get back to the last page unless you remember the number and start flipping pages. I’m new to Kobo and understand, there is no way to go straight to the page you want(eg page 57 in particular chapter).
Any ideas?
mulisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
I had the same problem occasionally, even though I always let it power down automatically. I suspect it happened when the menu was opened to check for the battery level before returning to the page I was reading, and then letting it switch off. I don't think it's happened since I stopped doing that.
artig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I have this happen too. Sometimes it opens up displaying the chapter number but a totally blank page. If I page forward (or back maybe) a couple times I get to the first page in the chapter. And then have to page until I recognize where I was.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:29 AM   #10
WmLambert
WmLambert began at the beginning.

How does a book get entered into the Kobo? Purchasing a book is easy - but how do I put in an eBook I already own from my computer? Baen books has every format of eBook available, and I tried the .pdf version. Where does it get uploaded to the Kobo?
WmLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:53 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Use Calibre. It will appear in documents, not in books, on the Kobo if it is a PDF. You can sideload ePUB files using Calibre as well.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
WmLambert
WmLambert began at the beginning.

Thanx Taming... What is ADE that is mentioned in other places that can be downloaded into the Kobo? It seems to allow a direct drag and drop capability.
WmLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
ADE is Adobe Digital Edition; this is the Adobe software on your PC that is required to download DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected eBooks. Once you have them on your PC, then, you can "drag and drop" them to the Kobo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by WmLambert View Post
How does a book get entered into the Kobo? Purchasing a book is easy - but how do I put in an eBook I already own from my computer? Baen books has every format of eBook available, and I tried the .pdf version. Where does it get uploaded to the Kobo?
The instructions for how to do that should be in the Kobo User's Manual (not the folded paper that comes in the box, but the epub file that should be loaded right on your machine; if you don't have it, you can read or download it from the Kobo site).
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
pmknight
pmknight began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulisko View Post
I bought my Kobo few weeks ago. Running firmware 1.4. Every time I’m done with my reading I would power it off. After powering It on it would normally open on the page I finished. Great. ..Sometimes however looses its bookmark and opens on the very first page of the chapter I was reading. No way to get back to the last page unless you remember the number and start flipping pages. I’m new to Kobo and understand, there is no way to go straight to the page you want(eg page 57 in particular chapter).
Any ideas?
I had a similar problem, the book I was reading always opened at page 1. I got around it by using the features bar at the bottom and searching the book for the next chapter to read. Enter Chapter 10, enter chapter 11, etc etc. Painful but I got thru the book.
pmknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faq, kobo, problem, question, wiki