Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #16
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I recently ran into this problem with my PRS-350 on the last book that I read where turning the page seemed to keep me on the same page. It happened maybe 7-10x within the book, which was almost 500 pages. I just chalked it up to a badly formatted book since it's the first time it's ever happened to me.

As a test, I'll have to go back and see if I can find which pages are doing it, then do an epub-to-epub conversion with Calibre and see if that fixes it. Or open up the epub in Sigil and see if they actually screwed up and repeated a few pages (I've seen it happen in paperbacks, it's not in the realm of impossibilities that it makes it into an epub).

I really don't think it's the reader though even in the T1 instance, I'd bet on it more being an incorrectly formatted book.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #17
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I think it is a combination of book formatting and the reader. I have read hundreds of ebooks on my Sony ereaders over the last 5 years. This issue has now happened to me on a handful of books on my T1. It never happened on my old readers. There is no trend to the particular books that have had the issue like a specific publisher or older/newer age.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #18
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Mine got into a loop of a few pages with swipes it would go past the return page by using button page turns. Turned it off and back on solved problem.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What firmware is showing these issues?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What firmware is showing these issues?
All. I saw it with the original and the updates.
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 04:27 AM   #21
Cryptopsy
Death metal!
Cryptopsy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post

As a test, I'll have to go back and see if I can find which pages are doing it, then do an epub-to-epub conversion with Calibre and see if that fixes it. Or open up the epub in Sigil and see if they actually screwed up and repeated a few pages (I've seen it happen in paperbacks, it's not in the realm of impossibilities that it makes it into an epub).
My experience is that I can't reproduce the problem for specific pages. I missed a few paragraphs in a book, going back and forth didn't bring them back. When I opened the book in Sigil, it turned out the paragraphs where all there. And after closing/opening the book on my Sony, the lost text was indeed where it belonged...
Cryptopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Skipping text on Sony devices can be a symptom of incorrect HTML. I discovered a while ago, when I had a PRS-600, that wrongly-nested HTML tags would cause the Sony to randomly skip paragraphs or pages. If you come across the problem, it might be an idea to run the book through an ePub checker to see if it's a coding error. If it is, it would be advisable to contact the publisher and let them know.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #23
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptopsy View Post
My experience is that I can't reproduce the problem for specific pages. I missed a few paragraphs in a book, going back and forth didn't bring them back. When I opened the book in Sigil, it turned out the paragraphs where all there. And after closing/opening the book on my Sony, the lost text was indeed where it belonged...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Skipping text on Sony devices can be a symptom of incorrect HTML. I discovered a while ago, when I had a PRS-600, that wrongly-nested HTML tags would cause the Sony to randomly skip paragraphs or pages. If you come across the problem, it might be an idea to run the book through an ePub checker to see if it's a coding error. If it is, it would be advisable to contact the publisher and let them know.
Opening and saving the ePub in Sigil would have run 'tidy', which would have corrected obvious html errors.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 04-14-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptopsy View Post
I don't even close the book. I just go to the table of contents and go the beginning of the chapter that I was on.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #25
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
From what I see so far and from my own experience I would say it's the e-pub formatting not the Sony software, Have had similar experiences with odd books... SIGIL reported problems with the e-pubs and running the file through calibre again cured whatever it was troubling it... It seems to happen more often with books converted from pdf with a lot of images/diagrams... sometimes just closing and reopening the book clears it also cleaning the screen/soft reset has worked a hard reset seems a bit drastic......
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #26
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
From what I see so far and from my own experience I would say it's the e-pub formatting not the Sony software, Have had similar experiences with odd books... SIGIL reported problems with the e-pubs and running the file through calibre again cured whatever it was troubling it... It seems to happen more often with books converted from pdf with a lot of images/diagrams... sometimes just closing and reopening the book clears it also cleaning the screen/soft reset has worked a hard reset seems a bit drastic......

While I agree that the epub probably has problems, I have had many instances of a books working again after reopening so I suspect software as well.

I have had at least 10 books that would not work at all (ie. advance pages, go to page etc.) on the T1 but work just fine on the PRS-300 and PRS-350. (and the calibre viewer, kindle reader after conversion to mobi etc.)

I did fix one just to see if it could be done but usually I just switch to another ereader for that book.

I don't understand why these problems are inherent on the T1 when the other Sony readers work fine for the most part. Not exactly leading age tech to put words on a screen.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #27
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
W
I don't understand why these problems are inherent on the T1 when the other Sony readers work fine for the most part. Not exactly leading age tech to put words on a screen.
I don't think they are - I think it's mainly the actual ebook that's the problem. It may be that the T1 is a little more sensitive to problems, but it certainly isn't all its fault. I recently bought a Kobo as a present and transferred all my (public domain, folks!) books onto it. While I had it on there, I thought I'd just check up on one book that I'd been reading and with which I'd had a similar problem, and yup, the same thing happened with the Kobo.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #28
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
I don't think they are - I think it's mainly the actual ebook that's the problem. It may be that the T1 is a little more sensitive to problems, but it certainly isn't all its fault. I recently bought a Kobo as a present and transferred all my (public domain, folks!) books onto it. While I had it on there, I thought I'd just check up on one book that I'd been reading and with which I'd had a similar problem, and yup, the same thing happened with the Kobo.
My whining is about the fact that the consistently faulty books on the T1 work just fine on the 350, 600, Sony reader program on PC, calibre reader, Aldiko etc.

Not a big deal as I can just read them on another device, but seems a bit Mickey Mouse. How bad are these epubs if other devices can display them just fine?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Opening and saving the ePub in Sigil would have run 'tidy', which would have corrected obvious html errors.
Run it through the standalone FlightCrew and see what sort of error there are.

Also, you can run Sigil, turn off Tidy. Close Sigil and then run it again to load the ePub and see what's up. I've turned off Tidy because I don't like what Tidy does to the ePub on loading it. Tidy ends up making a mess that's not needed.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
My whining is about the fact that the consistently faulty books on the T1 work just fine on the 350, 600, Sony reader program on PC, calibre reader, Aldiko etc.

Not a big deal as I can just read them on another device, but seems a bit Mickey Mouse. How bad are these epubs if other devices can display them just fine?

Helen
It just means the the T1 may not be as fault tolerant as readers/apps. It's not the fault of the T1 if it's the fault of the ePub.