Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many eReaders do you own?
1-5 85 68.55%
5-10 30 24.19%
10+ 9 7.26%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2018, 10:55 AM   #16
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Sony PRS-505
Kindle 3 with Keyboard
Sony PRS-T1
NOOK HD+

It looks like I only have four dedicated ebook readers. These days, I do most of my reading on either a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 (bought for that purpose and small enough to carry around) or a first generation iPad (preference for reading at home) and I am not counting them, since they are not primarily designed for ebook reading.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:22 AM   #17
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

*That said, if the new Clara is 5" with high res and a frontlight, I'd probably want one, but not to the extent of buying it.
I would want one... and I would probably buy it
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #18
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I'll add to my previous post that there are a couple of old PocketBook ereaders that I wish I owned: the iconic 360 (5" screen with clam-shell case) and the Colour Lux (front-light and triton screen). They would have been cool devices to have. I guess that moves me toward collector rather than just user, but I feel no urge to acquire any of the other PocketBook models I don't have, so I've still got a ways to go.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #19
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I had the PB360... Less than a week till I sold it. Too heavy for me.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #20
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I wouldn't say I'm a collector, rather I tend to keep a backup or 2 because more and more ereaders are capacitive touch only, and infrared touch is a must for me.

Sony PRS-350 x5 - 2 original silver, then I found 2 gorgeous dark blue ones I had a friend buy in Europe used, but one screen was in horrid condition, so bought a 3rd used silver just to swap the screen out on it. I'll sell the silver ones, but I doubt I'll ever get rid of the dark blue ones.

Kobo Glo x2 - Just an extra backup, I wouldn't mind selling these.

Kobo Glo HD x3 - thanks to a US Post Office idiotic screwup when I bought my backup from Chapters for $78, I got a 3rd one at $78. That price includes the shipping, I couldn't pass that price up.

As I said, it's more to protect myself against finding only capacitive touch readers at some point.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I don't collect readers. I have a Kobo Aura (I just passed my second anniversary with it), a Nook Glowlight 3, the Simple Touch with Glowlight the 3 replaces and a Sony PRS-505 that someone gave me.

I don't count my tablet though I do read comics on it. I do collect comic reader apps. I have just about all that are available on Android and Windows. Each one seems to be missing something that another one has.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #22
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
My Kindle 2nd gen is at my mom’s, last time I checked it the battery life was very short. She has my 2nd gen Paperwhite also, that is still being used.

At home I have a Kobo Glo HD, kept charged but not being used. Hubby reads on his 2nd gen Paperwhite, and I read on a Oasis 2017.

Not being used are a 2012 Fire HD 8.9” and a Fire 10” 5th gen. I keep them charged, currently looking to re-home them.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:29 PM   #23
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I own 3 e-readers at the moment, but largely only use the new Kobo Aura 2. At least I have the Glo HD for a backup. My old old aura is kind of worn out.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:55 PM   #24
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i currently own 5 e-ink readers: sony prs-500, sony prs-350, sony dpt-s1, b&n nook glowlight+, and the kindle oasis (2017 model). i mostly use the oasis, followed by the nook.

the large dpt-s1 is for technical pdfs.

the sony prs-350 i want to keep because it's a small screen and i had wanted to repurpose it as a display screen for displaying all my loyalty cards and bar codes so that they would scan easily by the shops without having to carry a bunch of cards. it would work much better if it was a screen the size of a credit card. but i've never been able to find such a device except for the yota phone (too expensive just for this purpose) and the e-ink cases made for certain specific phones (compatible phone models are limited and they don't work reliably from the reviews).

the sony prs-500 is in the state where the e-ink ghosts so much that it's unreadable. but it's the first mass market e-ink reader released in the u.s. so that makes it collectable for me.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #25
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
i'm not sure if I'm a collector or not. I have several ereaders but that's partly because I live in a retirement home and people always want to borrow a book so I want to have enough on-hand to lend to a neighbor.

I do sometimes buy one for myself, not necessarily for reading, such as the newest Nook. I was curious so I bought one. Turns out I like it a lot and I do read with it but that's not really why I bought it.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:51 AM   #26
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I'm not a collector, I buy and sell devices as it suits my needs. Since I bought my first e-reader, I've gone through 14 devices, of which I've kept 4. All the new ones were bought as an upgrade (frontlit, higher resolution, more lightweight, smartlight) or to test a new type of reader with another reading system.

Currently I own the following:
- a Kindle Paperwhite 2 to be connected to the Amazon universe
- a Kobo Glo HD which I snapped up as a bargain before they went out of stock and which I like due to Pocket integration and patchability
- a Pocketbook Ultra which I mostly read on when commuting as it is really lightweight
- a Pocketbook InkPad 3 which I love because of the large 7,8" screen and the smartlight (I read on it in the evening and in bed)

I'm really happy with my current configuration and I don't want to buy any additional device at the moment as this would mean more time to manage the devices. I can imagine getting a 6" device with a smartlight in the future. If there is one which is as light and/or as easy to hold as the PB Ultra, I'd sell that one and take the new one with me while travelling.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:27 AM   #27
gravity_
gravity_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad 9.7-inch
I have only 2... A Kindle and an iPad. But they work fine for me I don't think I need more for now
gravity_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:11 AM   #28
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
I own a single "real" ereader (as in: a device that I bought purely with the intent of reading books on), a Kobo H2O. I also have some additional eink devices that I bought mostly for reading/storing PDFs and taking notes: reMarkable and Onyx Max 2 - but with their large size, I don't think they qualify as ereaders.

So, despite what my wife seems to think, it doesn't look like I qualify as an ereader collector
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:31 AM   #29
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I generally use 3 eReaders (my iPad Pro is my main reader, I use an iPad mini for lunch time reading and a paperwhite for travel reading), however, I do tend to upgrade on a regular basis.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:18 AM   #30
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I have a Kobo Glo, a Kobo Aura H2O, and a Kindle Papaerwhite 3 Manga 32Gb. I only read on the latter. The Kobo Aura H2O is a backup.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote