Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-06-2017, 07:19 PM   #16
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I emailed B&N customer service. Here's what they said:

We would like to inform you that the NOOK GlowLight 3 have the maximum memory/storage of 8GB. The 6.5GB storage will not be partitioned to NOOK Store and side-loaded content. You can fill it with your side-loaded content or purchased book on the NOOK Shop.

Sounds even better!
Good to hear--but I'd wait until someone actually purchases a GlowLight 3 and reports their results here.

Based on the post in the "News" from by Raindog 89, he was able to view a GlowLight 3 on display at a BN store--and the picture he took of the settings clearly indicates that the storage is segregated between Nook Content and sideloaded content with only 0.95 GB available sideloaded content...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=90
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #17
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Good to hear--but I'd wait until someone actually purchases a GlowLight 3 and reports their results here.

Based on the post in the "News" from by Raindog 89, he was able to view a GlowLight 3 on display at a BN store--and the picture he took of the settings clearly indicates that the storage is segregated between Nook Content and sideloaded content with only 0.95 GB available sideloaded content...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=90
Thanks! I might just have to solve the mystery by buying one on Wednesday. Not that I need an excuse, mind you...
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #18
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Just plugged it into my computer: NOOK (E 974 MB free of 974 MB

:-(
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #19
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

A couple of thoughts (copied from my post on XDA)

Just got mine as well - SO love the fact that it's so easy to turn on developer mode and install apps - thanks for the confirmation. My needs are few: Calibre Companion, dropsync, web browser. I don't really need root either - I've been down the road of trying to push an ereader to its limits - I end up screwing around with the tech more than just reading. I'll also report back if I have any problems with any particular apps or if anyone wants me to try something out.

As far as reading, I can tell already that this is going to be a superior device than the Nook Glowlight Plus - that thing was slippery, weighted funny, the single non-physical button was frustrating as all get out. This really is the classic form factor of my all-time favorite Nook. I love the fact that I can turn the light on and off by long-pressing the N button again! And while I had long-since gotten used to not having physical page turn buttons, it is nice to have that option again - it might help with being able to navigate around other apps (rather Button Savior). The only small downside that I can see to there is no water-resistance - but that's not really important to me, esp. compared to the other upsides gained with this model.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:17 PM   #20
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo View Post

Just got mine as well - SO love the fact that it's so easy to turn on developer mode and install apps - thanks for the confirmation. My needs are few: Calibre Companion, dropsync, web browser. I don't really need root either - I've been down the road of trying to push an ereader to its limits - I end up screwing around with the tech more than just reading. I'll also report back if I have any problems with any particular apps or if anyone wants me to try something out.

As far as reading, I can tell already that this is going to be a superior device than the Nook Glowlight Plus - that thing was slippery, weighted funny, the single non-physical button was frustrating as all get out. This really is the classic form factor of my all-time favorite Nook. I love the fact that I can turn the light on and off by long-pressing the N button again! And while I had long-since gotten used to not having physical page turn buttons, it is nice to have that option again - it might help with being able to navigate around other apps (rather Button Savior). The only small downside that I can see to there is no water-resistance - but that's not really important to me, esp. compared to the other upsides gained with this model.
Please post a link to XDA post. The big question is can you use GParted to increase the partition for side loading and decrease the one for b&n content?

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #21
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Please post a link to XDA post. The big question is can you use GParted to increase the partition for side loading and decrease the one for b&n content?

bernie
Calibre Companion will use that B&N content partition, I believe, for any books you put on the device that way. You can also install your preferred reader app to read those books.

As for changing partitions, my big question is: if you do, what happens when the next B&N update comes around? Might not be pretty...
Old 11-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #22
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
I am not in the market for a new reader. But I went and checked this out at my local BaN. I have to say the form factor is really nice. I like that it looks like the older nook and the larger bezels are kind of a plus IMO. Easier to hold without accidently hitting the screen. Super comfortable to hold. Played with the settings and I have to say I think they have done a really good job with the layout. Kind of prefer it over my paperwhite. Now as the whole partition issue. I didn't give it any thought. But besides that I really think this is a solid 6" reader

Last edited by Tony1988; 11-08-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #23
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
I am not in the market for a new reader. But I went and checked this out at my local BaN. I have to say the form factor is really nice. I like that it looks like the older nook and the larger bezels are kind of a plus IMO. Easier to hold without accidently hitting the screen. Super comfortable to hold. Played with the settings and I have to say I think they have done a really good job with the layout. Kind of prefer it over my paperwhite. Now as the whole partition issue. I didn't give it any thought. But besides that I really thing this is a solid 6" reader
Yes. This reader looks and feels like an upgrade to the NST (that older Simple Touch). I like the way it feels, and I like the adjustable light color. I'm not too concerned about the partition issue either. There are ways to work with the device as is.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:38 PM   #24
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Covers for new nook?

Not that I need a new ereader - - but did any of you who went to B&N notice if they have covers available?

And count me in as another recipient of B&N's pathetic customer service. Long story, but I had one of the original nooks with the cracked bezel and getting it replaced was an ordeal.

On the positive side, I really like the nook ST I got back when Target was clearing them out for 30ish dollars so getting one like it with a lighted color adjustable screen is a near no-brainer.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:39 PM   #25
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
Not that I need a new ereader - - but did any of you who went to B&N notice if they have covers available?

And count me in as another recipient of B&N's pathetic customer service. Long story, but I had one of the original nooks with the cracked bezel and getting it replaced was an ordeal.

On the positive side, I really like the nook ST I got back when Target was clearing them out for 30ish dollars so getting one like it with a lighted color adjustable screen is a near no-brainer.
I was told that covers will be available in a couple of weeks.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #26
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
I was told that covers will be available in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for the info. They'll probably show up on eBay and Amazon long before then.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:00 PM   #27
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I am tempted to buy one and install fanfiction.apk to see how well it works. This could save me from having to download and convert to kindle format. It would also be nice to give business to the underdog.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:13 AM   #28
spedinfargo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post

bernie
This is what should be the thread on XDA: https://forum.xda-developers.com/noo...ght-3-t3698608 It's pretty sparse right now... hopefully the experts (not me) will start looking at this device...
Old 11-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #29
spedinfargo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo View Post

Quick update after doing some actual reading with it last night.

The screen resolution is indeed great - I don't think anything much different than NGP, but the specs do have a slightly different resolution (even though both are 300 dpi). I didn't have any complaints on NGP, though, so this isn't too noticeable. I did notice that the default font for the Wall Street Journal and Newsweek are incredibly tiny and it was VERY readable. Epaper sure has come a long way from the original devices.

Long-press to turn on/off the light is a great return. As is not accidentally brushing against the non-physical N button (which I did ALL the time on the NGP). Form factor in general is great and comfortable for long reading sessions. It's nice to not have to use a case - on the NGP, when not using the case it was just never comfortable and actually slippery to use.

Physical page turn buttons are nice but they're kind of loud - since I'm so used to not having them from my last few readers, I found myself just not really using them very much.

UI and navigation seems to be exactly the same as NGP. It's kind of sluggish when navigating around in the library, main screen, shopping, etc. But I can live with that. When actually reading a book the page turns are very responsive (which is what I really care about).

Backlight seems to be fine - there doesn't seem to be any very noticeable bright/dull spots (maybe if I look hard for them). I'm not 100% sold on the color temp changes. I had a hard time really finding a color that I liked. I never had a problem with the default light on NGP so I'm not really sure what I'll settle on. I don't think the auto-adjust is going to work very well - that seems to be based on time of day rather than any sensor (?) which doesn't make much sense. I would assume that I'll be settling on a color that I like using manual and then leaving it as-is.

I automatically started getting issues of the four magazines/newspapers. I'm curious how long that will last...

Love that they've left it so easy to get to developer options (so you can ADB apps over to it): just go to Settings > All Settings > About and press on the picture of the book about five times.

All-in-all I'm very pleased with the device so far. I'm very happy that if B&N in general (and Nook specifically) is indeed hanging by a thread that they at least didn't end their e-Ink readers with NGP as the final device. If this is the last Nook device ever made then I can now live with it...

[EDIT]: Forgot to mention that the keyboard seems to be much much better on this compared to the NGP. I don't know if the calibration was slightly off on my device but the NGP was the absolute worst touch device that I've ever had as far as pressing on the wrong letter...

Last edited by spedinfargo; 11-09-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added
Old 11-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #30
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Yes. This reader looks and feels like an upgrade to the NST (that older Simple Touch). I like the way it feels, and I like the adjustable light color. I'm not too concerned about the partition issue either. There are ways to work with the device as is.
Agree. Technical issues aside....I really think the form factor is great. I definitely prefer it to the Kindle Oasis. I don't know why they saw a need for an aluminum back. Sure I guess it feels high end but it will be cold to the touch and slippery. The Nook just felt great. Really dug the design of the whole exterior. Again larger bezels are nice. Just because it's the norm on a lot of devices and TV's to almost completely remove the bezels doesn't mean it's a good idea for a reader.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote