Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-26-2017, 08:07 AM   #1
Clouds
Clouds began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Nickel doesn't start anymore

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a while, appreciating all the info and work done on KSM and Koreader.

Inspired by a thread around here about syncing the device with Google Drive, I was attempting to create some sort of sync (either with Gdrive or a local http server). Didn't succeed yet.

My problem:
I managed to break Nickel : it doesn't start anymore.
Not from within KSM nor when booting by itself. The 5-boxes loading indicator is on forever.

KSM start fine, but wifi doesn't work anymore (it did before).
Which means I can't connect with SSH either now (afaik).

Device is a KA1, with KSM 8 + the patch for KA1 installed.

Possible causes:
  • I messed around with /usr/bin/wget, replacing it with a different version. Already replaced it back before the problem occurred.
  • Created and removed some symlinks in /usr/lib/ linking to libssl and libcrypto.
  • Tried to run this script to update to ssh-enabled wget. Script doesn't run properly since AR applet is missing from busybox.
  • As far as I recall I have rebooted (into Nickel) successfully several times after the things mentioned above. Didn't do any other dangerous things that I know of.

My questions:
  • Can I safely try a (hard) reset or would that remove KSM & koreader?
  • Would sideloading the current firmware help?
  • Any other way to fix this?

Right now I can at least read books in koreader. I'd rather not brick the device completely

Any suggestions and info would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Clouds; 08-26-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Clouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can read the following directions and try a manual factory reset.

https://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/arti...aura-edition-2
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
You could re-install you current or install the most recent kobo firmware package. That should restore the things that you changed. After you copied the update files/folders to .kobo there will be a new menu entry in KSM "handle update." Select it and then select "install partial update."
You can find the links to the update packages here.

Last edited by tshering; 08-26-2017 at 09:59 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
Clouds

Thanks for the suggestions!

I opted for the firmware 'upgrade'. Nickel now loads as usual, and wifi works properly too.

All books and reading progress are still there. KSM needs to be reinstalled.

Thanks again :-)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
alstefanov
alstefanov began at the beginning.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions!

I opted for the firmware 'upgrade'. Nickel now loads as usual, and wifi works properly too.

All books and reading progress are still there. KSM needs to be reinstalled.

Thanks again :-)
Hey I have the same problem can you tell me in steps how to fix it?
Thank you so much!
alstefanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2018, 06:18 AM   #6
Clouds

Hi, I did what tshering suggested above:
  1. Download the latest firmware for your device here.
  2. Connect your device to a computer.
  3. Copy the contents of the zip file to the .kobo folder on your device.
  4. Disconnect from PC.
  5. Restart device into KSM.
  6. KSM will have new menu item handle update. Use that to (re)install Kobo firmware.

If all goes well you'll end up with a working device, but without KSM. You can reinstall KSM after verifying that all works well in the stock firmware.

Good luck!

Last edited by Clouds; 01-05-2018 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
6.b. select "install partial update", like tshering said and you won't have to reinstall KSM.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bricked, ka1