Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2017, 05:04 AM   #841
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbook View Post
By the way, you can pretty much mention and link anything you want on this forum. As long as it's family-friendly and not against the law.
... and you're not the author of it. We have strict rules about self-promotion!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #842
ReaderUser
ReaderUser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (Graphite), Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle DX Graphite
I used my DPT-R1 for about 10-20 minutes, and then left it for 10 days, and it still had 4 bars in the battery indicator, so I guess it doesn't have a defective battery, which is a good thing.

[Although I basically did the same thing again in the last 10 days, and it went down to 3 bars.]

Using the DPT-R1 to read a paperback non-fiction book 2 pages at a time, I have come to realize how useful a 13.3" 2200 x 1650 laptop would be. The 4:3 ratio is still the best for office productivity in anything smaller than 24-inches, in my view.

Even a 14 or 15-inch laptop with a 2200 x 1650 screen would be enormously useful for me. Too bad nobody makes them. The Microsoft Surface Laptop at 2256 x 1504 is pretty close, but it has a glossy screen, which is suboptimal. [Still a pretty-good package though.]

My DPT-R1 is compensating for my X1 Carbon's stupid 16x9 screen, and the money went to Sony instead of Lenovo for the new model [since they still don't offer a tall-screen laptop.]

Essentially, DPT-R1 aspect ratio and resolution is great. [Wouldn't hurt to go higher, though.]

Last edited by ReaderUser; 10-22-2017 at 04:24 PM.
ReaderUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2017, 04:41 AM   #843
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaderUser View Post
Using the DPT-R1 to read a paperback non-fiction book 2 pages at a time, I have come to realize how useful a 13.3" 2200 x 1650 laptop would be. The 4:3 ratio is still the best for office productivity in anything smaller than 24-inches, in my view.

Even a 14 or 15-inch laptop with a 2200 x 1650 screen would be enormously useful for me. Too bad nobody makes them. The Microsoft Surface Laptop at 2256 x 1504 is pretty close, but it has a glossy screen, which is suboptimal. [Still a pretty-good package though.]
Google's Pixelbook or Samsung's Chromebook Plus/Pro have same aspect ratio but only 12.3 inch.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:37 PM   #844
ReaderUser

Yes, I've been keeping tabs on all 3:2 aspect ratio computers. The Chromebooks look really nice, but they don't run an operating system that I am familiar with.

Man, how hard can it be for Lenovo or somebody to produce a run of 3:2 ultrabooks if Microsoft and Google manufacturers can source screens in bulk?

Anyway, I wish someone would produce that Microsoft Surface Studio monitor without the Surface Studio and just the monitor. It would be a hot seller. 27 inch 3:2 monitor sized for default Windows DPI levels!

On topic, does anyone know how to clear the pencil smudges from the DPT-R1? I'm left-handed, so I smudge with the pencil.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #845
dr_eos
dr_eos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Maybe it has already been answered ... I've received my DPT RP1 today and I've noticed small light grey squares on the entire display. You can see them even if the device is switched off. Is that normal? The device and the pen have a charging indicator which is glowing red when connected to power. Will the indicator change when the battery is full? (becoming green?). I've charged the pen for about an hour and nothing happens.
dr_eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #846
JoeS
Enthusiast
JoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_eos View Post
The device and the pen have a charging indicator which is glowing red when connected to power. Will the indicator change when the battery is full? (becoming green?). I've charged the pen for about an hour and nothing happens.
When charging is done the red LED just turns off, at least for the pen. I think even the reader itself doesn't show green when charged. As you say, it does take a while.
JoeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:20 PM   #847
ReaderUser

The red light on the reader and the pen both indicate charging.

There is no green light on either device. When charging is complete, the lights wink out.

I, too, have found that charging takes a while. I suspect it is best to leave the reader away from the charger for a few days at a time, in order to reduce wear on the battery. Constant charging to 100% can't be too good for it.

The light grey squares on the display are part of the grid used to pick up the pencil. They are annoying, although not really a factor for a normal document at normal viewing distances.

It would be so much better if they could do away with the grid, because then the screen could be as crisp and clear as a late-model paperwhite display, from any angle.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:38 AM   #848
dr_eos

Thank you. I've hoped they would have fixed the annoying PDF navigation by now ... I'm apalled by it. Otherwise the device is pretty cool, the Windows printer service beeing especially useful.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #849
ReaderUser

I'm lucky that 90% of what I read are journal articles, not PDF books. The thumbnail navigation is adequate for a 20-page article, but we all miss being able to enter a page number in larger documents.

The Windows Printer Service sounds cool, but I must have missed the manual on how to set that up. Is there documentation? Printing to the DPT-RP1 would greatly speed some things up.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #850
dr_eos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaderUser View Post
I'm lucky that 90% of what I read are journal articles, not PDF books. The thumbnail navigation is adequate for a 20-page article, but we all miss being able to enter a page number in larger documents.

The Windows Printer Service sounds cool, but I must have missed the manual on how to set that up. Is there documentation? Printing to the DPT-RP1 would greatly speed some things up.
I've installed the Digital Paper App and the printer just appeared.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:07 AM   #851
YasBean
Enthusiast
YasBean doesn't litterYasBean doesn't litter

Device: Sony RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_eos View Post
I've installed the Digital Paper App and the printer just appeared.
The printer driver “Print to Digital Paper” works only on OSX and Windows 10, but not on Windows 7.
YasBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:35 AM   #852
rogerpiano
Connoisseur
rogerpiano began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max2
Hello to all. I'm evaluating the purchase of the DPT-RP1 despite all the criticisms emerged by reading this forum. In particular, the problems that bother me are:

1) 16 GB of internal memory (i would use it more)
2) I live in Italy (so I do not know how much I would cost and of course I have no guarantee in case of problems)
3) Toe wear and rechargeable pen
4) Problems connecting to the PC (I have windows 7)

However, I could neglect these problems, but a matter for me remains fundamental: I use the ereader mainly for musical scores (from single instrument to orchestral score). From what I understand the DPT displays the pdf in its original size, so you can shoot the pages. The zoom is "fixed" in the sense that a zoomed pdf can not "move" or even rotate page.

The question is: if I have a PDF that naturally is smaller than the DPT screen, is there a chance to fit it to the screen size and then turn the page? Many music PDFs are less than the screen (as I've seen in some videos), but it seems absurd that I can only display them in the original because I can not turn them over ...

Sorry for automatic translation
rogerpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:20 PM   #853
ReaderUser

1) 16 GB is sufficient for non-graphical PDFs. I have a mixture of graphical documents and text articles, and have only used 4 GB of storage so far.

If your needs are primarily graphical, however, the 16 GB limit could become a problem.

2) If you live outside of major distribution countries, you may have to pay hefty import fees. I know I did.

3) Not sure what you are referring to here, but the pencil tips deplete relatively quickly. If you only use the pencil for annotation, it is okay. But if you are writing entire documents with the pencil, it will deplete too quickly.

4) I have Windows 7 and it connects fine. But I have all the administrator permissions. Hopefully you do too.

Also, the DPT-RP1 on Windows 7 cannot "Print to PDF," which is a handy feature that exists for the device in Windows 10. That is really the only problem that I have noticed.

PDF zoom is easily the weakest part of the DPT-RP1. You can only zoom one page at a time. After you exit the zoom, the zoom level resets.

What that means is that you cannot set a consistent zoom level for the entire document. It will always display the document zoomed to fit on the screen.

If you have a PDF formatted for small screens, it will simply be blown up to fit the screen.

If the PDFs truly are displaying small pages, you could easily set the device to view them 2-per-page.

What Sony needs to do is release an update that allows you to set a zoom level or area selection that is consistent across the entire document, instead of the user having to manually employ the zoom level for each page.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:14 AM   #854
YasBean
Enthusiast
YasBean doesn't litterYasBean doesn't litter

Device: Sony RP1
I have gotten into the habit of preprocessing pdf files before loading them. I will zoom, crop, and make full text searchable (which allows highlighting scanned documents). I also edit the document title and author for more convenient indexing on the RP1. Yes, I do wish these could be done on the RP1, but it is not a big deal.

I also thought memory would be a problem, but I have just changed my attitude. I originally planned on storing all of my documents on the RP1, but it turns out I have over 20GB, so now, I load what I expect to need. It turns out that I do not need everything all the time.
YasBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #855
rogerpiano
Connoisseur
rogerpiano began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max2
Unfortunately I read that the available memory is 11 GB out of 16 available, and for me really few. Probably the DPT-RP1 was not thought of as a device to store such material.
For me the issue of memory and the limits of zoom management are serious issues that make me not point to this device. It is a shame, because in front of a hardware of all respect you have to stop due to a defective software.
I would also have faced the risks of the lack of warranty and the higher cost for customs, but in this case I have to give up!
rogerpiano is offline   Reply With Quote