Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-23-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Twistbook dual-screen E Ink reader concept

Now, you're not going to see this in stores any time soon. But if you've always liked the idea of mimicking the act of reading a book, take a look at the Twistbook (see attached images). Fabrice Dubuy has created this concept design of a dual-face E Ink reader that allows the user to simulate the feel of flipping through the pages of a book.

Related: So, did companies give up on two page devices?

[via Trendhunter]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01large.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	109800   Click image for larger version

Name:	02large.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	109801   Click image for larger version

Name:	03large.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	109802   Click image for larger version

Name:	04large.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	109803   Click image for larger version

Name:	05large.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	109804   Click image for larger version

Name:	06large.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	109805   Click image for larger version

Name:	07large.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	109806   Click image for larger version

Name:	08large.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	109807   Click image for larger version

Name:	09large.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	109808  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
RobinRosengren
RobinRosengren began at the beginning.

Device: None. Have used my mp3-player in the past.
I might not be part of the target group cause I don't see the appeal at all.
A dual screen-device is much harder to hold and can't, most likely, be held by one hand.
There's no advantage to be gained.
RobinRosengren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
It'll never fly.

No, I mean it will never fly. Can you imagine walking into a room and this oddly paired e-ink device is flapping like mad trying to get off the ground? Silly image.

Oh, and I don't think many people would buy one either.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
It looks to cumbersome.
When you turn the pages do you have to swipe both sides, or will one turn both sections?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The only think I can think it might be good for is non-fiction or text books, where you might want to simultaneously access two different parts of the same book.

But for reading fiction? Pointless.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't mind the idea of dual screen but only if there is a functional advantage in it. I still think the old concept videos of MS Courier were awesome. The interaction between the two screens and the use of the middle margin. Loved it. And I would enjoy that concept in eInk.

But if the only purpose is so that it looks more like a book, I'm definitely not interested.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Oh cool. They rediscovered the Entourage Edge. I'm sure it will sell bunches.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Oh cool. They rediscovered the Entourage Edge. I'm sure it will sell bunches.
It's not going to sell anything. It's a concept design, not a product.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's not going to sell anything. It's a concept design, not a product.
I was being sarcastic.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The only think I can think it might be good for is non-fiction or text books, where you might want to simultaneously access two different parts of the same book.
Yes, for academic or business use being able to have two documents (or two different parts of the same document) visible simultaneously would be highly desirable. Unfortunately it just doesn't seem to be a large enough market to be commercially viable.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
At least it's not as silly as the concept of a dual-screen ereader with a weighted unit inside to shift around as you progress through a book, to give the impression of a pile of pages on one side. Because what readers are really crying out for is heavier devices. Amirite?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Yes, for academic or business use being able to have two documents (or two different parts of the same document) visible simultaneously would be highly desirable. Unfortunately it just doesn't seem to be a large enough market to be commercially viable.
Oh no, if only they could, like, use 2 ereaders or something instead

Yes, I know it would be handy to open content on one screen with links from another, but i couldn't resist
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Oh no, if only they could, like, use 2 ereaders or something instead
Doesn't work. What makes it useful is being able to easily copy and paste from one document to another. Eg if you're compiling a business report from multiple sources.

The old iRex devices came the closest to this with a tabbed UI, whereby you could open multiple documents, each in its own tab, and flip between them with a tap of the tab title. It worked well.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
crdf
Connoisseur
crdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
it may not be functional but it is pretty. There always will be those few that will go for that.

As a friend of mine used to say before she learned the heard way - I don't care about functionality, but about design.

There are a lot of people out there that do not look into the product characteristic, and will believe and add.
crdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Doesn't work. What makes it useful is being able to easily copy and paste from one document to another. Eg if you're compiling a business report from multiple sources.

The old iRex devices came the closest to this with a tabbed UI, whereby you could open multiple documents, each in its own tab, and flip between them with a tap of the tab title. It worked well.
boy did I love my DR1OOO...that tabbed UI was just nifty. My new Galaxy Note 8.0 actually reminds me what I hoped the DR1000 could stimulate the creation of.

BTW, I really would love to see devices like this Twistpanel dual screen. I know there have been several attempts and none quite got it perfect. I think the small sibling of the Edge was actually very close.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote