Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 12-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Overdrive - where are the books?

Has anyone noticed that Overdrive is not getting new releases?

Artemis by Andy Weir

Year One by Nora Roberts

Those are two that I have noticed. I am sure there are more. Audible has them. I wonder if they got exclusive rights to these titles for a certain term?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Has anyone noticed that Overdrive is not getting new releases?

Artemis by Andy Weir

Year One by Nora Roberts
I've borrowed "Year One" at Overdrive (and it's at two libraries I know).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've had a look at the main Overdrive sites and Year One and Aretims are not showing as audiobooks.

Shock! Horror! You'll actually have to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:23 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I've borrowed "Year One" at Overdrive (and it's at two libraries I know).
As an audiobook?
Old 12-09-2017, 11:25 AM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Sorry, a bit sleepy and I hadn't read the forum. No, not as audioobook.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know, I whine about trivial matters. Still, it is annoying! I haven't found a way to see if Audible is buying proprietary rights to the audiobooks.

Oh and it's not just audiobooks that Overdrive isn't getting. There are other new releases, even from 2016, that have never shown up, by big name authors. I just didn't mention them here since I put this in the audiobook forum.

Last edited by booklover6; 12-09-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:40 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I just discovered that estories has Year One. So I may use my credit at the end of the month for that.

Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant is another one that is new, not in Overdrive. But Amazon and estories has it. No other site that I have looked at has the audiobook.

Maybe it has to do with DRM. Are all Overdrive audio books DRM-free, now?

Last edited by booklover6; 12-10-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:22 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I just discovered that estories has Year One. So I may use my credit at the end of the month for that.

Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant is another one that is new, not in Overdrive. But Amazon and estories has it. No other site that I have looked at has the audiobook.

Overdrive has moved to MP3 audiobooks and those are DRM free. So maybe it does have to do with the DRM.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Overdrive moves to MP3 for audiobooks - drops DRM -- 23 Jan 2014
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Artemis by Andy Weir
This is produced by Audible Studios and those are always exclusive to Audible in digital form. Like many Audible productions it is also available on CD/MP3 CD from Brilliance Audio and is the only way a library might have it.

Quote:
Year One by Nora Roberts
Like most Nora Roberts & J.D. Robb titles (except for a few older titles) the audiobooks are done exclusively by Brilliance Audio and not available digitally to libraries only on CD/MP3 CD.

I can't recall if the Brilliance Audio availability issue started when Amazon bought Brilliance or if it was when OD went MP3 only and dropped WMA. However, Brilliance was one of the publishers where libraries lost all of the digital audiobooks they had purchased when OD went DRM-free. Brilliance would not allow their titles to be available as MP3 through OD.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:44 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you, Brian. I will have to use credits on those, in that case. Good to know.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:18 AM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Happy to say that the audiobook for Year One is at Scribd. Listening to it now, and enjoying it!

Strike that - it is abridged, yet the Scribd info does not say that!

Last edited by booklover6; 06-11-2018 at 11:36 AM.