Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
and it can be turned off.
use the search bar command to put it in 'shipping mode'

Ah, but wait, a person would have to have one to know that. - guess that lets our 'Kindle expert' out of the loop.
From what I've read, once in shipping mode, it sort of resets so you have to go through the setup again. Is this true?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #47
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
and it can be turned off.
use the search bar command to put it in 'shipping mode'

Ah, but wait, a person would have to have one to know that. - guess that lets our 'Kindle expert' out of the loop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
From what I've read, once in shipping mode, it sort of resets so you have to go through the setup again. Is this true?
I think JSWolf's question deserves an answer.

Also, does "shipping mode" delete the contents of the documents directory?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #48
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
One area I touched upon earlier is the potential problems caused by the sheer number of Amazon devices out there. Problems not unknown to software developers. Amazon have a platform designed to be used by a very large number of people, with virtually all users technologically ignorant beyond basic use, just wanting to get on with reading or both in most cases. Amazon place a great emphasis on user satisfaction, whilst recognising that they can't please everyone. Add to this that they pride themselves on customer service. I would suggest that the design philosophy must essentially be KISS, to use the well known acronym. This applies when considering what features to include. Where possible such features should be transparent to the users. The more features, the more demand on customer support. Kindles are not designed for people who want to hack their devices. They are designed to be usable by everyone, including your grandparents in a nursing home who have never touched a computer in their lives and are no longer capable of or do not want to learn new skills. Kindles are not designed as a stand-alone product. They are designed from the ground up to be part of the Amazon "ecosystem". One can say very much the same about Apple and its products.

Some of the features mentioned here may be implemented or partly implemented in the future. Some, like epub support, will not.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:21 PM   #49
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
JSWolf, do you mean that you can create directories on the kobo from your computer??????????
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:24 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
JSWolf, do you mean that you can create directories on the kobo from your computer??????????
Kobo does not support directories, but it does support collections and if you side load with Calibre, you can get Calibre to manage the collections.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:37 AM   #51
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
Yes. But Kobo doesn't provide anyway to browse by directory structure. The ebooks in the directories will be added to the Kobo Library/Books (as long as the directories do not begin with a "."). I believe someone wrote an app/plugin that would scan folders and create collections.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:38 AM   #52
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Update: Still protesting the Kindle FW but calibre alongside Calibre Companion has been great. Jailbreaking presents useful functionality but I simply use my phone to search my library when away from my computer and then open whatever I need on the Kindle or email it to the kindle or whatever makes sense in the moment.

This was my first thread on this forum, just over one year ago and nobody has sent assassins to take me out, regardless of my incessant ranting on the topic. Proof this must be a nice community... or maybe people are just busy reading. Either way, cheers everyone!

Last edited by Pizza_Cant_Read; 11-20-2018 at 09:03 PM. Reason: ready to "reading"
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #53
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I was using non-kindle readers until Amazon introduced front-lit Paperwhite.
I was using Kindle Paperwhite 1 for almost a year. I applied every hack that was available for it, including font-size, margins, justification, alternative reader CoolReader (that supported folders), even alternative firmware from China, Duokan. I was still frustrated. So when PocketBook came out with a front-lit reader (the second front-lit e-ink reader on the market after Paperwhite) I sold Paperwhite and got PocketBook.
As a correction to your timeline, Sony had the first frontlit ereader back in 2008 with the PRS-700. A fine example of how not to implement a front light. In 2012, Barnes and Noble introduced the Nook Simple Touch Glowlight. Later that year, there was the Kobo Glo and then the Kindle Paperwhite.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloud collections, digital rights management, kindle, organize ebooks