Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
White K3 v. K2

I have a graphite (wifi) K3 and a K2. I notice the plastic material on K2 looks and feels better. It feels more "solid" and luxurious.. at least to me :P I'm not sure if it's the material, the weight or the color.. Well it's still plastic but the K3 feels cheaper to me. Is the white (3G) K3 made from the same material with the graphite K3?
bminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
same stuff, recycled Saturn cars
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
Hey, if you have a white K3, why don't you post side-by-side shots of the screens.
I have a black K3, and I can tell you the K2 plastic is different.
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
I have never owned a K2, but I can say as long as the screen is as durable as previous e-ink displays then I have no complaints. I handle all of my electronic devices with kid gloves and even more so with the K3. So I don't really have a issue with the plastic being a MIL thinner as long as it doesn't affect performance. My sony PRS-505 is all aluminum except the ends and I don't think that the plastic K3 feels any cheaper.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:38 AM   #5
xnowimcoolx
Connoisseur
xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 2
I love the metal back on my K2!!
xnowimcoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
That's what I think too.. different material on graphite K3.. so back to the original question.. is the white K3 made from same material with graphite K3 or white K2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_power View Post
Hey, if you have a white K3, why don't you post side-by-side shots of the screens.
I have a black K3, and I can tell you the K2 plastic is different.
bminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
RexGalore
Connoisseur
RexGalore doesn't litterRexGalore doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
I'm guessing that the white K3 is the same material as the graphite K3. The odds are they switched the construction, would be very strange to have a completely different manufacturing for the white one.
Check the photos in this link:http://www.pbase.com/andrys/kindle3 Looks from the closeups like the finish is very different for the two devices.
RexGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #8
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I don't see why would they use different plastic for the white and graphite versions.
K2 definitely feels different though.

Quote:
I love the metal back on my K2!!
Keep your love strong!

Quote:
same stuff, recycled Saturn cars
lol
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:14 AM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Yeah I agree the plastic on the k 2 was nicer to the touch. The metal back felt sturdier. The k3 feels a bit flimsier and cheaper. I guess they had to keep the cost down.

Don't know what the white k3 is like.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:29 AM   #10
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bminata View Post
I have a graphite (wifi) K3 and a K2. I notice the plastic material on K2 looks and feels better. It feels more "solid" and luxurious.. at least to me :P I'm not sure if it's the material, the weight or the color.. Well it's still plastic but the K3 feels cheaper to me. Is the white (3G) K3 made from the same material with the graphite K3?
The cheap feel of the K3 was the first thing I noticed about it when I checked it out at Target. The all metal Sony 505 was my first reader and have loved the build quality of Sony's ever since. The plastic on the K2 kept me from buying it for a good year, then I gave in. It probably feels decent because of the metal back, but I'm very disappointed in the feel of the K3. There's no lure to add it to my collection because of that.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 AM   #11
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
DXG remains the best model, metal back, joystick, good screen. Just the weight sucks.
K3 is all plastic, crappy rocker that is impossible to use.

IMO they should have just updated the screen on the K2. Perhaps you can take it out of the k3 and put it in the k2, IDK if the connectors/mounts are the same =(.. That is basically what they did for the DX/DXG.

I would also like to have seen a coated aluminum front/buttons. Couldn't possibly add that much to the cost of the thing. I have steelserieis SS gaming mousepad which uses a similar material which would be perfect >>

Last edited by curstpriest; 11-02-2010 at 03:11 AM.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote