Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
iBooks 1.1 kills ePub Font Settings?

http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...s-strikes.html

Quote:
Oh Apple, what are you doing? So misguided. You add DRM to all your ebooks. And now, you have crippled iBooks 1.1 so that it won't recognize fonts applied with perfectly standard CSS to any body, p, div, or span element.
Argh, that is just stupid.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Great now I have to deal with dozens of tickets that read "My calibre created epub doesn't look right in iBooks"

I expect a certain level of general incompetence from big companies like Apple, but when they go out of their way to break things...
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Great now I have to deal with dozens of tickets that read "My calibre created epub doesn't look right in iBooks"

I expect a certain level of general incompetence from big companies like Apple, but when they go out of their way to break things...
Seriously, wtf? If they aren't going to support ePub, fine...call it iBooks format or something. But if they are going to claim to support ePub, do it right. They of all people have the resources to make this happen.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
well has anyone tried asking them? kov, I would think you're in a good position to email their developer support and see of they are willing to offer explanations..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't have an iPad, so I can't really test this myself to report a bug to Apple. But I encourage people who do, to do so.

It will be interesting to see if Apple listens.
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 05:57 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
To add a dissenting voice: I'm much happier not to have font/style choices forced on me by the book creator. The B&N app handles this quite well by having an option to either apply publisher settings or override with your own choices.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I couldn't get past "Oh Apple, what are you doing? So misguided. You add DRM to all your ebooks." .... If the author doesn't understand that it's the publishers that demand DRM then I have to question the other "facts" of the story.....

I have not noticed any difference in the few books I've looked at on mine.... read mostly in Stanza anyway.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
To add a dissenting voice: I'm much happier not to have font/style choices forced on me by the book creator. The B&N app handles this quite well by having an option to either apply publisher settings or override with your own choices.
The B&N app for the iPad is lousy. If you choose to override the publishers choices, you lose all styles. If you choose the publisher option, you get simulated bold & italic. So either way it's garbage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:22 AM   #9
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Quote:
The B&N app for the iPad is lousy. If you choose to override the publishers choices, you lose all styles. If you choose the publisher option, you get simulated bold & italic. So either way it's garbage.
But the idea is good. To allow a choice of user-defined or creator-defined styles, even if the current implementation is lousy.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
As opposed to having them forced on you by the software developer?
Old 06-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Quote:
As opposed to having them forced on you by the software developer?
Not sure what your point is?
iBooks allows a choice of fonts and sizes, as do the other eReader apps.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Not sure what your point is?
iBooks allows a choice of fonts and sizes, as do the other eReader apps.
Read the original article. iBooks doesn't allow the book creator to specify different fonts for different elements in the book. So if I wanted my books to have their heading in serif and text in sansserif (and setup calibre to do that) it would not work in iBooks. Lots of other reader software also doesn't aloow this, but they don't allow it in general, because they don't have decent font support at all. iBooks, in what appears to be a deliberate attempt to impose control, have delibrately crippled the (WebKit based) renderer in iBooks to not allow setting font families for *some* types of tags.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Read the original article. iBooks doesn't allow the book creator to specify different fonts for different elements in the book. So if I wanted my books to have their heading in serif and text in sansserif (and setup calibre to do that) it would not work in iBooks. Lots of other reader software also doesn't aloow this, but they don't allow it in general, because they don't have decent font support at all. iBooks, in what appears to be a deliberate attempt to impose control, have delibrately crippled the (WebKit based) renderer in iBooks to not allow setting font families for *some* types of tags.
But that isn't isn't the same as them forcing a style choice on the user, they are just preventing someone else forcing a choice on the user. The user can still make their own choice.
As I said my preferred option would be something like the B&N app does, to allow a choice of using the hardcoded styles or allowing the user to override them.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
But that isn't isn't the same as them forcing a style choice on the user, they are just preventing someone else forcing a choice on the user. The user can still make their own choice.
As I said my preferred option would be something like the B&N app does, to allow a choice of using the hardcoded styles or allowing the user to override them.
That depends on your definition of "user"
Old 06-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The way the B&N app does it is awful. Publisher style or user style, makes no matter, it's just an awful read because the app is awful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote