Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
tkingny
tkingny is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Question Will Kindle ever adopt an ePub format?

I really like the Kindle, but have not bought one because I really want to have the option to check out books from my local library in addition to purchasing books. Do you think Kindle will ever adopt ePub like Sony has?
tkingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
My guess, and this is strictly my opinion, is they will never support ePub.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Well, never and ever are a long time. Jeff Bezos was always jealous of the closed system Apple has/had with iTunes... so he put up his iTunes busting DRM free MP3 music store. He claimed at the time that open standards blah blah blah....

Now, he totally copied the closed iTunes/iPod system with the Kindle/Kindle Store. The have created software for the iPhone/iPod Touch, PCs and Mac on the way. I hear they are also going to support other devices to. They own the mobiepocket software which will be pretty easy to port. They also supposedly loose money on each 9.99 ebook they sell... so making up that revenue with Kindle sales and also making sure all the back catalog ebooks that they do make money on will be there.

So, all the above is the argument against them moving to ePub.

The argument for it is that pretty much every other reader device has been adopting ePub using the Adobe DRM. So, if the Kindle store did support this form they could possible sell a lot more ebooks. But, unfortunately you can't make up a loss in volume.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:44 AM   #4
Alpha_Cluster
Enthusiast
Alpha_Cluster began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Libre2
I think inevitably Amazon will adopt ePub and do what Sony did on Friday. I mean even Apple switched to selling MP3's. The real question is how long would it take them to write a comparable renderer to Adobes (actually probably could write one better from what i have heard about Adobes) as I doubt they really want to pay Adobe.

In the end though I cannot imagine why publishers wouldn't eventually force the switch we just would not see that till they realize they can make money off ebooks.
Alpha_Cluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:06 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Cluster View Post
I think inevitably Amazon will adopt ePub and do what Sony did on Friday. I mean even Apple switched to selling MP3's. The real question is how long would it take them to write a comparable renderer to Adobes (actually probably could write one better from what i have heard about Adobes) as I doubt they really want to pay Adobe.
What you're paying Adobe for isn't really the renderer - it's the DRM system and use of their DRM servers. The ePub rendering isn't really the issue - it's basically just HTML, and not hard to render.

Unfortunately, if Amazon were to adopt ePub, but not not use Adobe's DRM system we really wouldn't be any better off - we'd still have an incompatible format. One of the problems with ePub is that DRM isn't part of the defined standard; anybody can bolt their own DRM system on to ePub and still call the result "ePub", even if no other software than their own can read it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 04:53 AM   #6
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
In the end though I cannot imagine why publishers wouldn't eventually force the switch we just would not see that till they realize they can make money off ebooks.
They need to realise that they can make *more* money off an open ebook standard - that's the critical thing. And given the history of the music and movie industries in this area, I think we have little cause for optimism. Both those industries have responded to every suggestion of openness by investing in ever-more restrictive technologies (and, of course, litigation)
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
Alpha_Cluster
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What you're paying Adobe for isn't really the renderer - it's the DRM system and use of their DRM servers. The ePub rendering isn't really the issue - it's basically just HTML, and not hard to render.

Unfortunately, if Amazon were to adopt ePub, but not not use Adobe's DRM system we really wouldn't be any better off - we'd still have an incompatible format. One of the problems with ePub is that DRM isn't part of the defined standard; anybody can bolt their own DRM system on to ePub and still call the result "ePub", even if no other software than their own can read it.
Well maybe not so much the rendering on screen but the formatting for the renderer is done by it from what I have read. I think Amazon might be able to manage a deal with Adobe for the drm but I don't think it would do them as much good but was not Amazon saying they were planing to expand ebook sales to other devices? At the time I was thinking they meant other ebook readers not just iPhone.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Well maybe not so much the rendering on screen but the formatting for the renderer is done by it from what I have read.
Sorry, I didn't express myself very well. You're right - ADE does do all the rendering. What I meant was that you don't have to pay Adobe their large fee if all you want is ePub rendering, because ePub is very easy to render, being HTML-based. The reason that a company licences ADE from Adobe is to be able to use DRM-protected books, which (other than B&N) all use Adobe's encryption technology.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
Alpha_Cluster
Enthusiast

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't express myself very well. You're right - ADE does do all the rendering. What I meant was that you don't have to pay Adobe their large fee if all you want is ePub rendering, because ePub is very easy to render, being HTML-based. The reason that a company licences ADE from Adobe is to be able to use DRM-protected books, which (other than B&N) all use Adobe's encryption technology.
Ok, I did not think Amazon wouldn't want to pay i think that from the way it seems Amazon built the Kindle (all in-house software wise) It seems unlikely they would want to take anything more then the drm parts of Abobes. I wonder if maybe eventually enough people talking about getting books from libraries will convince them it wont destroy their bottom line?
Old 12-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
The ePub rendering isn't really the issue - it's basically just HTML, and not hard to render.
Quote:
What I meant was that you don't have to pay Adobe their large fee if all you want is ePub rendering, because ePub is very easy to render, being HTML-based.
I saw it the first time, and couldn't believe you said it. Then I saw it the second time, and I still can't believe you said it.

Rendering HTML + CSS correctly is horribly difficult. Throw in SVG which the EPUB standard supports and now it's eyeball-gouging difficult. I mean geez, half the Webkit source tree is SVG, and the other half still makes for hundreds of thousands of lines of code. And Webkit is considered light.

So no, rendering EPUB files is not easy. It's far, far from easy. It's the reason why Adobe chose Webkit as the basis for their ADE renderer.

Last edited by Valloric; 12-13-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
tkingny
tkingny is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Ok, I did not think Amazon wouldn't want to pay i think that from the way it seems Amazon built the Kindle (all in-house software wise) It seems unlikely they would want to take anything more then the drm parts of Abobes. I wonder if maybe eventually enough people talking about getting books from libraries will convince them it wont destroy their bottom line?
I keep thinking that Amazone will have to crater on this fairly soon, given the increased competition they are now facing. I just wish they would all adopt an open format. The funny thing is, I don't generally check books out of the library and would likely continue to purchase 90% of my books, I still really want the option. I believe that would be true for many people.
tkingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #12
Alpha_Cluster
Enthusiast

well either epub is a horribly messed up version of html or Adobe ruined webkit then since from what i have heard the more advanced epub features are really poorly implemented in ADE. Mind you it is stuff most books probably never use but still it should be implemented correctly before we really expect epub to be able to actually take off fully.

I do support epub and I hope the fact B&N and Sony both are using it will finally force Amazon to consider it.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:54 AM   #13
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
well either epub is a horribly messed up version of html or Adobe ruined webkit
It's the latter.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #14
Alpha_Cluster
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
It's the latter.
That is exactly what I expected.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

And we already have an ePub DRM nightmare thanks to B&N.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote