Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #46
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Ok, so I will freely admit I don't know a lot about this but I have a question maybe one of you guys can answer.
I just downloaded a library book. WMA format. I double checked and my Clip+ is in MSC mode, which is what they are saying is going to be the only mode that the new Sport will be. The library book downloaded and transferred with no issues to my Clip+. And it played.
Now according to the email they are saying that the Sport has to be in MTP mode for WMA DRM format, right? So what am I missing here? How did my Clip+ work with a library book in MSC mode? Are library books different from music subscription services?
Any words of wisdom on this would be most welcome.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #47
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Ok, so I will freely admit I don't know a lot about this but I have a question maybe one of you guys can answer.
I just downloaded a library book. WMA format. I double checked and my Clip+ is in MSC mode, which is what they are saying is going to be the only mode that the new Sport will be. The library book downloaded and transferred with no issues to my Clip+. And it played.
Now according to the email they are saying that the Sport has to be in MTP mode for WMA DRM format, right? So what am I missing here? How did my Clip+ work with a library book in MSC mode? Are library books different from music subscription services?
Any words of wisdom on this would be most welcome.
S
I've had some Overdrive WMA DRM books with MSC and I don't know why. I don't know if they all do or not. I know that books from OneClick Digital need to have my Zip in MTP mode.

I'm not willing to take a risk and get the new Clip Sport until they add MTP mode or all my libraries change to mp3 for their audiobooks.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #48
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Re the Clip Sport--is the max for the external card still 32gb? I would love to be able to use a 64gb card.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #49
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Re the Clip Sport--is the max for the external card still 32gb? I would love to be able to use a 64gb card.
Still 32GB. It's SDHC and not SDXC.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #50
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Still 32GB. It's SDHC and not SDXC.
Thanks.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:21 AM   #51
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele View Post
I've had some Overdrive WMA DRM books with MSC and I don't know why. I don't know if they all do or not. I know that books from OneClick Digital need to have my Zip in MTP mode.
I played around with this and downloaded three audiobooks. Two from OverDrive (MP3 & WMA) and one from OneClick Digital. I placed my Clip Zip in MSC mode and went from there.

Both OverDrive audiobooks (MP3 & WMA) transferred successfully in MSC mode; and did so quite rapidly. Don't know what to make of this.

As to the OneClick audiobook, it refused to transfer in MSC mode. I had to change the mode to MTP in order to transfer it. On top of that, it forever to do so. This was my first experience with OneClick. Unless they have a book I can't get from OverDrive, then I have no intention of using it again. The transfer speed is way too slow - well over 15 minutes for a title that would've been a bit over two minutes with OverDrive.

Besides WMA OverDrive audiobooks, it looks like OneClick Digital audiobooks are also a no go on the Clip Sport. Do we know for sure that MP3 OverDrive audiobooks will work?

Last edited by tubemonkey; 02-19-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: forgot a word - first
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #52
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
As to the OneClick audiobook, it refused to transfer in MSC mode. I had to change the mode to MTP in order to transfer it. On top of that, it forever to do so. This was my first experience with OneClick. Unless they have a book I can't get from OverDrive, then I have no intention of using it again. The transfer speed is way too slow - well over 15 minutes for a title that would've been a bit over two minutes with OverDrive.
That sums up OneClick, only to be used if that's the only choice. However, I have found several books there that I can't find in any of my OverDrive libraries.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #53
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks.
If you install RockBox you can use a 64GB card. That's what I do. RockBox replaces the Clip OS. I've got many more options for sound and functionality now, along with the higher card limit. It's really wonderful and I haven't looked back. The only thing is that the interface isn't as nice now. But this is an mp3 player, so I really don't care.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #54
bbpo8
bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbpo8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Arc and Aura HD, Kindle Keyboard, and DX
Kobo tablets

I've been checking the prices of Kobos for the past few weeks. They had a sale on some tablets during the first part of February. I suspect there may be some deals coming, with the changes in the Kobo management. Here's a good page for an overview of their devices:
http://www.kobo.com/devices.html

Kobo doesn't always update their pages right away, so there may be some old information. A good idea is to click on the price icon or "Buy It Now" icon to get the latest info.

I'm particularly watching the old generation Kobo Arc, which I think is a great deal ($100 for 16 GB, $130 for 32 GB). The availability of different models seems to vary.
bbpo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #55
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
If you install RockBox you can use a 64GB card. That's what I do. RockBox replaces the Clip OS. I've got many more options for sound and functionality now, along with the higher card limit. It's really wonderful and I haven't looked back. The only thing is that the interface isn't as nice now. But this is an mp3 player, so I really don't care.
I didn't think they had Rockbox for the new Sport yet? Isn't it built on a different chipset than the other Clips?
Quote:
From the pictures in the other thread, its an obscure MIPS chip that we've never used before. We do have rockbox running on MIPS, but not this same chip. And of course we have little optimization for MIPS in the codecs. I don't think its impossible to do a port, but it would probably take a long time so if you don't like the sandisk firmware you should probably not rush out and buy one of these.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #56
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
RockBox replaces the Clip OS.
Not replaces, because you can dual boot (that is, if Rockbox comes to the Sport--see Silverravens post immediately above. The link I gave is for the Clip/Clip+/Zip).

Dual boot is good, because Rockbox doesn't support (and never will) protected WMA.

Last edited by jj2me; 02-19-2014 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Silverraven's post trumps any discussion of Rockbox on the Sport
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:36 AM   #57
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Today only, $20 off the Kindle Paperwhite and the Basic. March 4, 2014. Amazon.com.

Isn't this the first time they ever ran the PW on sale?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #58
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Today only, $20 off the Kindle Paperwhite and the Basic. March 4, 2014. Amazon.com.

Isn't this the first time they ever ran the PW on sale?
I think it is...kind of lends credibility to the rumor of a new Paperwhite this spring....
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #59
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Can you change the PW to Tan background or black with words being White? I couldn't find out if you could or couldn't so thought I as...to be sure Thanks!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #60
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Can you change the PW to Tan background or black with words being White? I couldn't find out if you could or couldn't so thought I as...to be sure Thanks!
No, you can't do that on a Paperwhite (or any eink device AFAIK) That's only available on backlit devices like the Kindle Fire, Kindle app on iPad or Android, etc.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote