Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
kilofox
Connoisseur
kilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
From Book to "The Big Screen"

I have seen many many novels translated to a movie, and have almost always been left lacking. For the most part, there is almost no way that you can shrink a novel into a screenplay that lasts 2-2 1/2 hours... something always gets cut out, glossed over etc etc.

What I have found is that the television mini-series is a much better avenue for getting a story on the screen... its just on the teley instead of a movie screen. Roots, Thornbirds, Lonesome Dove etc etc. were all more complete than if they were brought to the big screen.

Agreed?
kilofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Well lately we've had some very good movies based on books: No Country for Old Men and There will be blood.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The film version of The Princess Bride was quite good, I thought.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Then there are books that seem especially written in hopes of becoming movies. I read "The Raw Shark Texts" yesterday. Very thin, fast-paced narrative drive. I kept thinking I was reading a screenplay, despite the typographic artifacts.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Phillip K. Dick's short stories certainly translate well, but they're short stories, not novels, so they're better suited in the first place.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
"Meetings With Remarkable Men", based on Gurdjieff's autobiography.

The movie, and not the book, is stuck in my brain.

I saw the movie in the early 80's at a shabby independent movie theatre. The customers in this theatre were usually unruly, with the habit of rampaging to the exits shortly before a movie finished. "Meetings..." ends with a long and hypnotic Whirling Dervishes dance. The movie finished. For several minutes after the screen went blank, the audience just sat glued to their seats, silent, mesmerized, stunned.

That's my memory of it after all these years. Of course, if I saw "Meetings.. " today, I would probably be totally unimpressed.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
I have seen many many novels translated to a movie, and have almost always been left lacking. For the most part, there is almost no way that you can shrink a novel into a screenplay that lasts 2-2 1/2 hours... something always gets cut out, glossed over etc etc.

What I have found is that the television mini-series is a much better avenue for getting a story on the screen... its just on the teley instead of a movie screen. Roots, Thornbirds, Lonesome Dove etc etc. were all more complete than if they were brought to the big screen.

Agreed?
Agreed entirely. That's why I think short stories / novellas make better movies than novels. One excellent novella movie adaptation was Barry Longyear's SF story "Enemy Mine".

One exception I would make is the LOTR movies, especially their "extended editions". I think those are as good as one could really hope for.

I was extremely disappointed by the recent movie adaptation of Phillip Pullman's "The Golden Compass". They cut out virtually all the interesting "background stuff" to leave a rather incoherent "action" movie which didn't make a lot of sense.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Another movie that was twice over a mess was Dune by Frank Herbert. First it was made into an awful movie where you'd be totally lost had you not read the book before hand. And the SciFi TV's mini-series was another dreadful mess leaving things out and changing thimgs that were not in the book. basically, nobody has done Dune any justice except of course, Frank Herbert.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:46 AM   #9
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I don't think Dune will ever work as a film. There is too much cultural context to convey, too much inner monologue, nuances of gesture and expression. Any movie made is doomed to be a sad botch from the get-go.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:58 PM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
My 14yo son loves movies and he's finally seeing that not all movies from novels are that good. He's now reading through the Harry Potter books, just finished Goblet of Fire, and he's starting to understand why I haven't been totally thrilled by the movies. The HP movies were fine but it was frustrating to me to wonder where all the subplots went.

ITA, that the LOTR extended edition movies were excellent.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
My 14yo son loves movies and he's finally seeing that not all movies from novels are that good. He's now reading through the Harry Potter books, just finished Goblet of Fire, and he's starting to understand why I haven't been totally thrilled by the movies. The HP movies were fine but it was frustrating to me to wonder where all the subplots went.

ITA, that the LOTR extended edition movies were excellent.
It has been announced that the final HP book will actually be two movies. There was a Pride and Prejudice mini-series on PBS Masterpiece that was 6 hours. It was excellent at following the book. There is a DVD I believe.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:19 AM   #12
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another movie that was twice over a mess was Dune by Frank Herbert. First it was made into an awful movie where you'd be totally lost had you not read the book before hand. And the SciFi TV's mini-series was another dreadful mess leaving things out and changing thimgs that were not in the book. basically, nobody has done Dune any justice except of course, Frank Herbert.
Three-for-three?

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/12/21...-edwin-a-salt/

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:33 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It has been announced that the final HP book will actually be two movies. There was a Pride and Prejudice mini-series on PBS Masterpiece that was 6 hours. It was excellent at following the book. There is a DVD I believe.
That was probably the 1995 BBC one, with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy - it's widely regarded as the "definitive" version. The BBC excels at producing "costume drama"; because they're publically funded they can afford to do stuff like that which wouldn't be viable for a commercial broadcaster who has to make a profit.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Harry - I love the BBC Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth, but then again I could watch Colin Firth read from the phone book.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
I thought "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" did a really good job of getting the spirit of the Patrick O'Brian books without trying to tell a novel's worth of story.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote