Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Physical page turning on ebook readers - Paranga

Oh the strange things people create!

At the Osaka University, a device called Paranga, that allows to simulate physical page turning on an ebook reader, has been created.

Links in english :
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/03/par...ading-e-books/
http://www.gadgetusers.com/paranga-o...ading-e-books/

Liens en français :
http://www.actualitte.com/actualite/...s-incliner.htm
http://www.ebouquin.fr/2011/03/23/ja...vec-un-reader/
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
So what's next? A car that you have to feed oats to, so it's like a horse? A computer that works with a crank, like an old adding machine?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
Next a special scent to give you eReader that printed book smell
Arigato,
Nick Davis
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
So what's next? A car that you have to feed oats to, so it's like a horse? A computer that works with a crank, like an old adding machine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by altworld View Post
Next a special scent to give you eReader that printed book smell

There was a thread a while back (that I can't find...) where someone suggested a little hidden razor that pops out every so often to give you a "paper" cut.

EDIT: Found it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
The next step? A special ebook mouse-- at random intervals as you are flipping over the virtual page, the software sends a signal to the mouse to extend a small razor blade embedded in the left button. It gives the authentic "paper cut" experience.

This is unrelated to my idea for the indie writer's keyboard! That keyboard has a needle in the center of the key for the exclamation mark! It teaches you to only use exclamation marks when you actually need exclamation marks!
(Included that second bit because it's also funny, though not relevant.)

Last edited by queentess; 03-24-2011 at 09:49 AM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
You know, I DO miss that newly printed paper smell. That is one of the joys of strolling through a bookstore to me.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
You know, I DO miss that newly printed paper smell. That is one of the joys of strolling through a bookstore to me.
Just introduce a smell-o-vision type module into new ereaders that puts out new-book smell when you are syncing files or browsing respective marketplaces.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
There's a company that sells "Paperback" as a scent. (they also have things like "Crayon") I linked them a while back. One of these days, I'm going to break down and order a few different ones, just for weirdness value.

I wish they had "First Day of School". That smell always takes me back to an exact time and place -- walking up the stairs to kindergarten, *mumble* years ago. Depressingly, I think it's a combination of paint and dust ... disappointingly mundane ... but it still snaps me back to that one time and place.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
I have enough stalls to muck, I don't want to add a garage to that!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
There's a company that sells "Paperback" as a scent. (they also have things like "Crayon") I linked them a while back. One of these days, I'm going to break down and order a few different ones, just for weirdness value.

I wish they had "First Day of School". That smell always takes me back to an exact time and place -- walking up the stairs to kindergarten, *mumble* years ago. Depressingly, I think it's a combination of paint and dust ... disappointingly mundane ... but it still snaps me back to that one time and place.
i could go for Eau de Ditto Fluid, I think...
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And paste/rubber cement, floor varnish, paint, industrial cleaning supplies, and that stuff they sprinkle over vomit.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Fresh mimeographed vocabulary words sheets
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I was disappointed to find out the holes in the back of the kindle were speaker grill and not some sort of scent dispenser.

Seriously, what I want is an ereader that let's me virtually flip a book. Not one page turn at a time, but really flip so I can visually scan for text, bookmarks, notes, etc.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Seriously, what I want is an ereader that let's me virtually flip a book. Not one page turn at a time, but really flip so I can visually scan for text, bookmarks, notes, etc.
The ipad has an animation of the page turning as you read. Perhaps some future update might allow page flipping. Perhaps they'd also allow you to create little stick man animation sequences in the corners of the pages - I used to like making those.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, astronauts on the moon solved the problem of sealed cameras and the need to advance "film" by rotating the camera about 90 degrees, then back, to reset the camera. I suppose we can add a "tilt" function to readers that will advance the page.

Better not get to hot, though: If you use your reader to fan yourself, you might speed through a few chapters before you know it...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Angry Be serious, please..........

This subject isn't being treated with the gravity it deserves, im my opinion.

My 650 is in a cover, and twice last week - and not for the first time, I might add - I found myself turning the ereader over, as of a page..........
[ Bad enough to do that, but to then knock my beer over, onto both my trews and quite a nice rug, only compounded the error...............
Took me a while to get out of that with 'er indoors, I tell you.]

I feel a study into this "phantom book page" syndrome is overdue. There'll be knuckle damage claims soon, to say nothing of dry cleaning bills.

Something ought to be done !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote