Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Looking for hints on full reset of Kobo 1

I am the happy owner of a Kobo 1 who plans to upgrade to a WiFi model and donate the original to a bazaar this weekend at his church.

Any suggestions on the best steps to take to ensure it is fully wiped clean before I donate it? I actually even have the original box from it
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Go into settings--advanced--and do a factory reset.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
And then put in a clean database by following the instructions here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94789

assuming you do have the version 1.4 update on your Kobo.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure the full reset wipes the file system... but yes... those were the steps I was planning
Old 11-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It does. It might be good to wait until the upgrade is released and on your reader. The upgrade will then be the system that will restore when the other folks do that in the future.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Lol... bazaar is this Saturday so time is ticking!
Old 11-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm not sure the full reset wipes the file system... but yes... those were the steps I was planning
On an original Kobo the factory reset does not restore the database to the original. I know because I had a messed up database and did a couple of resets which achieved nothing before I followed the sticky noted above. (I understand for a gen2 device the factory reset actually does restore the datebase).

To completely wipe any personal things from the Kobo and make it "factory clean" I would do both the reset and the database restore.

Last edited by p_a_smith; 11-18-2010 at 09:04 PM. Reason: added last line
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I believe if the Db is ok to begin with, you do get a clean install, but replacing the sqlite and image files can't hurt.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

All done Reset, DB restored; file system double checked. Battery fully charged; put back in original box (well... actually a box from the Black Kobo 1, and this is a White Kobo 1). Even stuck a screen protector over the screen.

I think I will include my eMail address to answer any questions.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
All done Reset, DB restored; file system double checked. Battery fully charged; put back in original box (well... actually a box from the Black Kobo 1, and this is a White Kobo 1). Even stuck a screen protector over the screen.

I think I will include my eMail address to answer any questions.
Nice of you! Hope your church prices it fairly, and not $1.00 or something.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

They will; dropped it off this afternoon and chatted with the Minister about it. We might go for a dutch auction idea, or ask for at least $50 (maybe even $75).
Old 11-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Well; last time I checked it was up to $65 bid
Old 11-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #13
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
Hey, Wonderful!
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote