Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-03-2020, 10:07 PM   #1
michel416
michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Calibre installation Chromebook

Hello, I am trying to install Calibre 5.6.0 for Linux on my Chromebook but it fails to install properly. See attached screenshot for details.

Has anyone done this? It cannot find libnss3.so

Any hints for fixing this appreciated.

Thanks...Michel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre-install-error.png
Views:	255
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	183765  
michel416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:39 PM   #2
michel416
michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Follow up: when I tried to run Calibre, the following happened, see attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre-runtime-error.png
Views:	176
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	183766  
Advert
Old 12-03-2020, 11:44 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to instal lthe missing libraries libnsss and the xcb library the latter is mentioned on the calibre linux download page.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:01 AM   #4
michel416

Thank you Kovidgoyal. I am not very familiar with Linux. Could you give me the sample commands to install the libnsss3.so and libxcb-xinerama0 libraries? Much appreciated.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:02 AM   #5
michel416

Update: I successfully installed the libnss3.so library with the following command:
sudo apt-get install libnss3-dev -y
I was able to start Calibre without any errors but I am unable to see my Kobo reader.
The quest continues.
Advert
Old 12-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #6
michel416

Update: found out that my Kobo reader hides in /mnt/chromeos/removable/KOBOeReader
I can make a share in Calibre and now I can access my reader. However, a few questions arise. It appears the share is lost when a close and re-open Calibre. Can it be made permanent? Secondly it appears I can only make 1 share. I need another share to my Chromebook files in order to import the books I stored there ever since I ditched my Windows computer. Any insight appreciated.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:47 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I dont know what you mean by "make a share". If you mean you are using the connect to folder function, you can have calibre connect to a particular folder automatically at startup in Preferences->Tweaks.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #8
michel416

Thank you. It works like a charm now. Calibre is a very complex application and my limited experience with Linux does not help either. Thanks for making this great app available to the world.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:46 AM   #9
jdta09
jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by michel416 View Post
Update: found out that my Kobo reader hides in /mnt/chromeos/removable/KOBOeReader
I can make a share in Calibre and now I can access my reader. However, a few questions arise. It appears the share is lost when a close and re-open Calibre. Can it be made permanent? Secondly it appears I can only make 1 share. I need another share to my Chromebook files in order to import the books I stored there ever since I ditched my Windows computer. Any insight appreciated.
Did your Kobo automatically ask to connect to the computer? Mine starts charging but doesn't get the pop up asking if you want to connect so it doesn't get mounted.
jdta09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:55 AM   #10
michel416

I defined the Connect to folder tweak in Preferences. There is no popup. If the connection to my Kobo is physically established before I start Calibre then it is picked up and shows in Calibre. But if I connect up my Kobo after starting Calibre the tweak is ignored. It states so in the tweak description. Hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:08 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by michel416 View Post
I defined the Connect to folder tweak in Preferences. There is no popup.
I think @jdta09 wants to know if the Kobo device asked if you wanted to connect when you plugged it into your Chromebook. It sounds like that doesn't happen for theirs.
Quote:
If the connection to my Kobo is physically established before I start Calibre then it is picked up and shows in Calibre. But if I connect up my Kobo after starting Calibre the tweak is ignored. It states so in the tweak description. Hope this helps.
What happens sounds like the Chromebook doesn't mount these devices in the same way as Linux based laptops. And calibre isn't then detecting it. Using the folder device does work, but, you don't get the device specific functions that are in the KoboTouch driver.

It might be worthwhile following the steps in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=118560 to see if we can work out what is happening. The debug device detection log will probably be interesting.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:23 PM   #12
michel416

I am still using my very old original Kobo device N647. When I plug it in my Chromebook 's USB it asks if I want to continue reading or manage my library. If I select manage my library it connects to the computer, so I can see it as a USB drive. Indeed, Calibre does not pop up anything, it is not aware of this happening. It only sees my Kobo drive if I connect it before starting Calibre. I'll review the thread you referred to.

Last edited by michel416; 12-14-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:50 PM   #13
michel416

I went through the steps in the post. First I turned off my Tweak to connect to my USB drive manually. Then I checked the rest of the steps. My device is not Ignored. The interface plugin for my Kobo is green. Nothing pops up, Calibre does not see the library. This is the Debug output:
calibre 5.6 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Linux-5.4.58-07649-ge120df5deade-x86_64-with-glibc2.2.5 Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '5.4.58-07649-ge120df5deade', '#1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 26 04:56:33 PDT 2020')
Python 3.8.5
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (7, 0, 0)
USB devices on system:
[]

No disabled plugins
Looking for devices of type: MTP_DEVICE
No MTP devices connected to system

Looking for devices of type: SMART_DEVICE_APP
All IP addresses {'lo': [{'addr': '127.0.0.1', 'netmask': '255.0.0.0', 'peer': '127.0.0.1'}], 'eth0': [{'addr': '100.115.92.197', 'netmask': '255.255.255.240', 'broadcast': '100.115.92.207'}]}
No device is connected

Looking for devices...

Devices possibly connected: None

Looks like I need to re-install my tweak to connect to my USB drive.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:06 AM   #14
jdta09
jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think @jdta09 wants to know if the Kobo device asked if you wanted to connect when you plugged it into your Chromebook. It sounds like that doesn't happen for theirs.
This is indeed what I was asking but it seems obvious that for others this does happen so it is obviously something to do with my Kobo or my Chromebook.
jdta09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #15
michel416

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdta09 View Post
This is indeed what I was asking but it seems obvious that for others this does happen so it is obviously something to do with my Kobo or my Chromebook.
Can you connect to your Kobo on a non-Chromebook computer? Or have you used only wifi to load new eBooks?

Tags
calibre installation, chromebook