Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-06-2020, 01:47 PM   #1
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Apple Event announced for Tuesday, October 13

Probably an iPhone event.

According to MacRumors:

Quote:
Apple today announced a second 2020 event, which is set to be held on Tuesday, October 13 at 10:00 a.m. on the Apple Park campus in Cupertino, California. As with Apple's September event focusing on the new iPad and Apple Watches, the October event will be digital only, with Apple likely providing pre-taped segments for each new product that will be announced.

Since the new *iPad* Air, eighth-generation *iPad*, and Apple Watch Series 6 have already been announced, the October event is expected to be Apple's iPhone-centric event with Apple introducing the new iPhone 12 lineup.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I’m good as for as iPhone goes, so no need for a new one.

I do wish they would release a truly usable remote for my Apple TV 4K though. That garbage that came with it is a huge pile of excrement, and Apple doesn't allow all functions to be programmed into 3rd party remotes.
Advert
Old 10-06-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
azt33
Connoisseur
azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I kind of hope that they will release the first Apple Silicon computer as well - curious to see how that compares to the current line.
azt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:40 PM   #4
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Apparently benchmarks claiming to be from the dev kit had it running x86 code faster than an x86 Mac, which, if true, is impressive.

And it's likely an actual retail ARM Mac will have a chip with newer cores and less power/heat constraints than a chip designed to be put in an iPad (read that as "a faster SoC")
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:28 AM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I’m going to sell my new SE, I think. I’ve already gone back to using my iPhone7, and right now the iPhone Mini thats rumoured does appeal to me. I don’t want a phone thats the size of a dinner plate, and I really would kinda like a smaller phone than the iP7/8/SE .... and if it comes with the larger screen thats rumoured... all good. Its what I hoped the 2020 SE would be. But, until the 13th, its still all rumours.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2020, 11:23 AM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I love my iPhone XR for size and functionality. I definitely understand the desire to not have an iPad mini size device for a phone though! I started out with an iPhone 5 way back when, I think they were the first to get the 4" screen. I was happy with it until I got to use a friend's iPhone 6 Plus a few years later, then I upgraded to that model. But after a couple of years of lugging around the 6+ I decided to go smaller and went with the iPhone 7 (not the plus). That size was a too small and the smaller battery didn't hold a charge nearly as long as my 6+ did, so it was somewhat disappointing. A few years later I upgraded to my current model the iPhone XR. It is about the right size and holds a good charge. Fortunately they keep shrinking the bezels allowing for larger screens in an over all smaller phone body. The 6+ had large bezels compared to newer models. But they are still smaller, or at least less bulky and lighter weight, than some of the first analogue cellular dumb phones I had back in the 1990s!
Old 10-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Based on the email, it sounds like a 5G iPhone. I'm also fine with my current iPhone. I upgraded to the iPhone 11 Pro Max earlier this summer with 512 GB. It's a good size for me, big enough not to lose and big enough to be able to read on it while staying socially distanced in the grocery store and plenty of storage for audiobooks. 5G coverage around me isn't all that great so I have no problem waiting for the networks to be upgraded enough to make a difference. Since cellular isn't my primary internet connection, LTE is more than fast enough right now.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:39 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I’m good as for as iPhone goes, so no need for a new one.

I do wish they would release a truly usable remote for my Apple TV 4K though. That garbage that came with it is a huge pile of excrement, and Apple doesn't allow all functions to be programmed into 3rd party remotes.
I don't think I would go quite that far, but yea, I find the remote rather lacking. I wish they would have the remote app act like a touch screen mirror of the apple tv screen, rather than mimic the physical remote. I guess you are suppose to use Siri to do the major stuff.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:02 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I would like a smaller iPhone. I do like my iPhone 11, but would prefer something smaller, like the original iPhone SE or 4s, but thin and with no button on the front (edge to edge screen).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:33 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There are rumors about a newer, faster Apple TV (some Arcade games need a faster processor) and smaller/cheaper HomePods. But 5G iPhones will no doubt head up things.

I still don’t see where demand, much less need, for 5G phones comes from. But of course Apple needs to support it as it’s ‘expected’.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:44 PM   #11
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I mean, 5G is one G more than 4G (and in a lot of cases worse than 4G right now)
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There are rumors about a newer, faster Apple TV (some Arcade games need a faster processor) and smaller/cheaper HomePods. But 5G iPhones will no doubt head up things.

I still don’t see where demand, much less need, for 5G phones comes from. But of course Apple needs to support it as it’s ‘expected’.
For some people, all they have is their smart phone and they are constantly streaming something on them. During the original trials, the use case was bringing high speed internet to the home without running wire, since they didn't have 5G phones, but instead had a 5G base station that provided wifi for the house. Internally, the wireless companies talked more about hi speed machine to machine communications than they they talked about end user phone usage.

I suspect that very few people actually need it, anymore than a lot of people need 1G internet, but it's pretty nice to have.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:38 AM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I would like a smaller iPhone. I do like my iPhone 11, but would prefer something smaller, like the original iPhone SE or 4s, but thin and with no button on the front (edge to edge screen).
The rumored 5.4" iPhone 12 Mini seems to be right up your alley. Chassis size is in between the the 4" and 4.7" home button iPhones.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:36 AM   #14
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I wonder if the new OS, Big Sur, will be rolled out?
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:07 PM   #15
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I don't think I would go quite that far, but yea, I find the remote rather lacking. I wish they would have the remote app act like a touch screen mirror of the apple tv screen, rather than mimic the physical remote. I guess you are suppose to use Siri to do the major stuff.
I’ve got really bad arthritis, so it is more difficult for me to operate it than most people. Even with a 3rd party neoprene case it is way too thin and I constantly have issues with the touchpad portion not doing what I meant for it to do. Form over function sucks in this case. I think the best standard issue remote for a streaming device is the one that comes with a Roku. They are fatter, nicely rounded to fit my hand grip, nonslip surface, and the right amount of easy to use buttons. The remote that comes with the FireTV is second, but I did have to add a neoprene cover due to slippery surface and it is a bit too thin. Apple TV 4K remote comes in a distant third, better than the Apple TV 3rd gen remote though. That one reminded me of the final moments of a bar of soap just before it totally melts away!

As for 5G, I’m the same. I rarely use the iPhone XR for surfing the web, especially as far as streaming video goes, so LTE more than suffices. Mostly I use WiFi with my iPhone XR so cellular speed is rarely an issue.