Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon - 2
A Traveller in Time by Alison Uttley - 2
In a Free State by V.S. Naipaul - 2
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn - 1
The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino - 1
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:47 PM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
First round voting is complete and we have a three-way tie between:

-In a Free State
-Sunset Song
-A Traveller in Time

Run-off voting is now open!

Voting will close exactly TWO DAYS from this post.

Each person has TWO votes to use.

If the run-off ends in a tie, the selection that received all its votes first will win.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2020, 05:13 PM   #18
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've wanted to read all three of these for awhile. Any of them winning I'll be equally happy with. I've wanted to read Naipaul for a long time and the club has never read anything from Trinidad and Tobago. I've also wanted to read Sunset Song and, oddly enough, I don't think the club has ever read anything from Scotland. And I've wanted to read the Uttley and it looks unique.

They all have very similar page counts (two have the exact same page count!) so that doesn't help persuade me any way. I'll be just as happy if I'm outvoted but to make a decision, I'll go with the two that are from countries we haven't read yet in the club, and since it doesn't matter one way or the other as I expect other votes will keep the order of mine from being any sort of tie-breaker, I'll put them in reverse order of how I ordered them in first round voting.

1 to Sunset Song
1 to In a Free State
Old 09-09-2020, 05:49 PM   #19
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
My votes are:

1 - In a Free State
1 - A Traveller in Time

Both of these I will be reading anyway. I plan on reading the whole trilogy that Sunset Song is the first of but would like to do that all three in one go sometime later when I have enough time to be kept out of mischief, so my votes are partly driven selfishly (again ).
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I’m ok with all 3 books so I will break the tie by selecting the book you both have in common which is In a Free State. I have wanted to read this author for a long time.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #21
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Voting is complete and we have a winner. We'll be reading In a Free State for September! I'll have the discussion thread up soon.