Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-26-2020, 05:40 AM   #29416
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
4.75/5 for The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean. Definitely one of my top five reads of 2020. Popsci perfection, near as nothing. A very enjoyable, very informative look at the periodic table, but probably the thing I liked best was the way the stories told remind readers that while "Science" may (arguably) be pure, "scientists", being people, are anything but.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:30 PM   #29417
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Sounds interesting, getting The Disappearing Spoon... now.

Anything like John Drury Clark's "Ignition!"?
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2020, 07:26 PM   #29418
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
Sounds interesting, getting The Disappearing Spoon... now.

Anything like John Drury Clark's "Ignition!"?

From that book's synopsis the approach may be similar, but the scope is wider of course.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:37 PM   #29419
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've also borrowed Disappearing Spoon and looking forward to checking it out.

Amazon Prime had a great 3-or4-part series a year or two ago on the discoveries that led to the periodic table - Mystery of Matter or similar IIRC - about how scientists (without knowledge of atomic structure) started to recognize patterns, formulate theories and fill in unexplained gaps, all before the discovery of the neutron and modern distinctions between atomic number and atomic weight were known. Fascinating stuff...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:48 PM   #29420
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I've also borrowed Disappearing Spoon and looking forward to checking it out.

Amazon Prime had a great 3-or4-part series a year or two ago on the discoveries that led to the periodic table - Mystery of Matter or similar IIRC - about how scientists (without knowledge of atomic structure) started to recognize patterns, formulate theories and fill in unexplained gaps, all before the discovery of the neutron and modern distinctions between atomic number and atomic weight were known. Fascinating stuff...

One snippet that particularly impressed me: "In addition to winning the prize himself, Rutherford mentored and hand-trained eleven future prizewinners, the last in 1978, more than four decades after Rutherford died." I love learning little details like that.
Advert
Old 11-26-2020, 08:52 PM   #29421
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
One snippet that particularly impressed me: "In addition to winning the prize himself, Rutherford mentored and hand-trained eleven future prizewinners, the last in 1978, more than four decades after Rutherford died." I love learning little details like that.
Rutherford was an amazing guy. The existence of atoms as the fundamental particles of matter had only recently gained acceptance and they were naturally assumed to be solid. Rutherford's ingenious experiments showed that atoms are not only not solid but composed of smaller particles occupying mostly empty space, a gigantic leap forward in the understanding of matter. His stature attracted Niels Bohr to Manchester, helping to launch the quantum mechanics revolution.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:40 AM   #29422
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Rutherford was an amazing guy. The existence of atoms as the fundamental particles of matter had only recently gained acceptance and they were naturally assumed to be solid. Rutherford's ingenious experiments showed that atoms are not only not solid but composed of smaller particles occupying mostly empty space, a gigantic leap forward in the understanding of matter. His stature attracted Niels Bohr to Manchester, helping to launch the quantum mechanics revolution.
I didn't know any of that, fascinating!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:42 AM   #29423
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
In other news, I'm currently reading Ink by Jobie Baldwin. It's YA, but so far very interesting!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:46 PM   #29424
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Currently reading Darkwalker on Moonshae, a Forgotten Realms franchise book. I haven't read a FR book in almost 3 years and I had clean forgotten just how "insert your choice of phrasing" they are. Once I'm done this one I certainly won't be reading any more and I'll be making a note to myself to not "try again"
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:45 PM   #29425
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just started Trailin'! by Max Brand.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:21 AM   #29426
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I confess I've forgotten the books entirely. Hopefully there'll be enough in the third volume to remind me.

Hmm.. back in 2010 I wrote "The story came back to me fairly quickly, and I enjoyed the sequel.". Let's hope the verdict is the same this time!
And indeed it is. And I enjoyed the third volume a great deal. Excellent Mil SF/Space Opera. I wonder when/if there'll be a fourth volume?

Next up: Thraxas of Turai by Martin Scott. The 11th and last (so far) in the series. A very recent purchase, at the astonishingly high price (for me) of £5.50!

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-29-2020 at 04:45 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:48 AM   #29427
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Listening to Nicholas Nickelby and reading Connie Willis' A Lot Like Christmas story collection on my Kobo.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:17 PM   #29428
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Which narration of Nickelby are you listening to? And how do you like it?
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:48 PM   #29429
Bookstooge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Thraxas of Turai by Martin Scott. The 11th and last in the series. A very recent purchase, at the astonishingly high price (for me) of £5.50!
There is a new Thraxas book? I'm on it. Hopefully it resolves things. I was pretty bummed by book 10

I just started a re-read of Steal the Sky by megan o'keefe. It didn't really impress me back in '16, but since I want to try out some of her later books, I need to re-read this to get back in the flow.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:45 PM   #29430
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
There is a new Thraxas book? I'm on it. Hopefully it resolves things. I was pretty bummed by book 10
I've enjoyed book 11 so far. There's a foreword where the author says that there'll be more.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote