Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2020, 09:35 PM   #1
tdry
tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Any ETA On A New Kobo Device?

Just curious.

I'm planning on getting a Libra H2O soon as it's the closest to what I want, but have no idea what Kobo's release cycle is like, so just want to make sure I don't buy it only for something better to get released for the holidays.
tdry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:47 PM   #2
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdry View Post
Just curious.

I'm planning on getting a Libra H2O soon as it's the closest to what I want, but have no idea what Kobo's release cycle is like, so just want to make sure I don't buy it only for something better to get released for the holidays.
They only released the Nia this year, and there has not even been any vaporware chat here about another one. Which guarantees that they will announce a 9-inch full-color e-ink device with USB-C and audiobook support 5 minutes after your credit card is charged for your Libra.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:28 PM   #3
tdry
tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'tdry gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
They only released the Nia this year, and there has not even been any vaporware chat here about another one. Which guarantees that they will announce a 9-inch full-color e-ink device with USB-C and audiobook support 5 minutes after your credit card is charged for your Libra.
Par for the course.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:34 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Mother's day
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:42 PM   #5
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Mother's day
Which one?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:16 AM   #6
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Which one?
The next one until we get a new kobo.

If I had to guess I’d say earliest we’d see would be late spring early summer or late summer early autumn.

That would likely be for a Forma and/or Clara upgrade since the Nia is new this year, the Libra was released late 2019, while the Forma and Clara HD were both 2018.

But at least as of this post I’m not aware of any reports of FCC filings from Kobo for an as of yet unreleased device. I don’t stalk such posts though they have a tendency to be rather noticeable both here and in the news forum.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:25 PM   #7
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Nevertheless, I've seen multiple signs of a new device in development with significant improvements over the current ones, both in the firmware and elsewhere.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:13 AM   #8
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
[...]Which guarantees that they will announce a 9-inch full-color e-ink device with USB-C and audiobook support 5 minutes after your credit card is charged for your Libra.
Very likely the new device will also provide the nice smell of a fresh printed book (see similar smell announcement here) and 3D-fonts.

As the Libra currently got price-cuts over here (to make space ?), that future might be very near
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:44 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Very likely the new device will also provide the nice smell of a fresh printed book (see similar smell announcement here) and 3D-fonts.
Ye gods, I hope not. I hate that smell.

Now a nice cinnamon smell or something of that ilk would be welcome.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:50 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My guess is fall 2021.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:19 AM   #11
tdry

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Nevertheless, I've seen multiple signs of a new device in development with significant improvements over the current ones, both in the firmware and elsewhere.
What signs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post

As the Libra currently got price-cuts over here (to make space ?), that future might be very near
Starting to sound like I need to take one for the team and just get the Libra. Then we'll get our announcement as soon as I open the box.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #12
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdry View Post
What signs?
There's some evidence that they're looking at Bluetooth audio support, both in the firmware and on GitHub. There's also some unusual churn with lighting in the firmware and for the patents. Note that most of the patent changes have just been wording changes and some restructuring, but I didn't look at all of them. And, in addition to a few other relevant changes, there's been a lot of init script refactoring implying there could be another device soon, and with significant changes compared to the existing ones.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:03 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Mother's day

My Mother's dead, so I guess I'm out of the loop.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:06 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I think I read somewhere that after they sell 634 units, they'll come out with a new model to replace the old one. (Or was that the Onyx Boox line?)
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:58 PM   #15
timetochange
timetochange began at the beginning.

Device: Looking at Oasis, Libra, Forma
I don't know much about e-readers that do exist, let alone those that don't yet exist.

But, for what it's worth: I decided to pick buy a reader months ago, but was torn because of this same aversion. Nothing better (for my needs) came out since then. And no one has posted anything in this thread pointing to a particular date, month, model, or feature.

If you were planning on getting the Libra soon anyway, it probably does what you want it to do. Does waiting for the next one definitely do what you want it to do?

Last edited by timetochange; 12-06-2020 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Rhetorical flourish - because forum.
timetochange is offline   Reply With Quote