Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #91
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Is there a patch to change anything on the home screen? My devices are not updated past 4.03. if I recall. One reason is because of the home screen change around that time.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #92
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Is there a patch to change anything on the home screen? My devices are not updated past 4.03. if I recall. One reason is because of the home screen change around that time.
Yes there’s a patch to make it just your books, library, and collection (things like pocket may rotate in I just don’t use pocket) and nothing from Kobo.

You’re still limited to 4 currently reading though as this is essentially hardcoded into the firmware

However patches for 4.16 don’t exist as of yet.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #93
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I haven't noticed any problems with the page numbering. But, most of my sideloaded books have been edited to fix the ToC. Just had a look at some purchased books that didn't have most of the front matter in the ToC. One is an omnibus where some of the front and back matter for the books is not in the ToC and a few longer files aren't as well. I didn't see any page numbering issues like before.
That sounds promising.. thanks.

I know that is a super minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but it was always irritating to me, for some reason, and there for a *long* time.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #94
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
... and it's likely to stay that way.

fw 4.16.x is very different from 4.15.x and many patches need a re-write if that is possible, which isn't guaranteed.

Based on some of davidfor's post fw 4.17.x is also very different from 4.16.x.

It's just not worth the effort (IMHO) busting a gut to get 4.16.x patched. Once 4.17.x arrives we'll see what can be done.

It will probably need effort from all patch creators. It's not clear how many of those are still active at MR. If there are any orphaned patches which no longer work they may need a new volunteer foster-parent before they can be resurrected - assuming resurrection is even possible.

I don't want to be a kill-joy it's just that expectations need to be realistic once 4.17.x arrives.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yes there’s a patch to make it just your books, library, and collection (things like pocket may rotate in I just don’t use pocket) and nothing from Kobo.

You’re still limited to 4 currently reading though as this is essentially hardcoded into the firmware

It's not worth the effort to patch 4.16 as 4.17 is due out. Plus, 4.16 is just a release for reviewers for the Libra. Just wait until 4.17 or go back to your last patched firmware.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-14-2019 at 11:22 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #96
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
... and it's likely to stay that way.

fw 4.16.x is very different from 4.15.x and many patches need a re-write if that is possible, which isn't guaranteed.

Based on some of davidfor's post fw 4.17.x is also very different from 4.16.x.

It's just not worth the effort (IMHO) busting a gut to get 4.16.x patched. Once 4.17.x arrives we'll see what can be done.

It will probably need effort from all patch creators. It's not clear how many of those are still active at MR. If there are any orphaned patches which no longer work they may need a new volunteer foster-parent before they can be resurrected - assuming resurrection is even possible.

I don't want to be a kill-joy it's just that expectations need to be realistic once 4.17.x arrives.
For the impatient, all the nickel, rmsdk, and adobe patches have been updated and minimally tested. I'm not officially supporting them yet, so if you want them, you'll have to manually download them from GitHub. I haven't done libnickel or the new patches yet (I will soon do the ones I use, see my kobopatch config).

As for adopting patches, I'm planning to rewrite or deprecate Oren's patches, but most will be rewritten. The issue with them are they were just simple ports rewriting the whole stream, which isn't really feasible to update easily, and is quite fragile. I'm rewriting them to use the relatively new ReplaceZlibGroup instruction (it counters compression issues with many small replacements). I'm also adding comments and support for the newer language changes and a few device-related changes. For an example of this, see the rewritten kepub progress chart patch (it's now at the bottom of src/versions/4.16.13337/libnickel.so.1.0.0/geek1011.yaml).

As for the patches which will be deprecated or rewritten (so far), see src/version/4.16.13337/patches.md on GitHub.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #97
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not worth the effort to patch 4.16 as 4.17 is due out. Plus, 4.16 is just a release for reviewers for the Libra. Just wait until 4.17 or go back to your last patched firmware.
The release of 4.16 gives interested people time to re-work patches for the new UI. As incomplete as the patch is, (apparently), it's *very* thoughtful of Kobo to make this release.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
For the impatient, all the nickel, rmsdk, and adobe patches have been updated and minimally tested. I'm not officially supporting them yet, so if you want them, you'll have to manually download them from GitHub. I haven't done libnickel or the new patches yet (I will soon do the ones I use, see my kobopatch config).

As for adopting patches, I'm planning to rewrite or deprecate Oren's patches, but most will be rewritten. The issue with them are they were just simple ports rewriting the whole stream, which isn't really feasible to update easily, and is quite fragile. I'm rewriting them to use the relatively new ReplaceZlibGroup instruction (it counters compression issues with many small replacements). I'm also adding comments and support for the newer language changes and a few device-related changes. For an example of this, see the rewritten kepub progress chart patch (it's now at the bottom of src/versions/4.16.13337/libnickel.so.1.0.0/geek1011.yaml).

As for the patches which will be deprecated or rewritten (so far), see src/version/4.16.13337/patches.md on GitHub.
Is it going to be possible to change the footer text size and the space used for the footer? I like to have the footer smaller and close to the bottom of the screen.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The release of 4.16 gives interested people time to re-work patches for the new UI. As incomplete as the patch is, (apparently), it's *very* thoughtful of Kobo to make this release.
I see that Jackie and I was both wrong about this and it looks like there are patches for 4.16.13337.

I'm hoping that once the patches are done for 4.16, that it will be fairly easy to port them to 4.17.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #100
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Will the advanced font options patch need to be rewritten too?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #101
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is it going to be possible to change the footer text size and the space used for the footer? I like to have the footer smaller and close to the bottom of the screen.
That's hard to say at the moment. Footers is probably the biggest area of change.

Some of the old patches will run without error in 4.16.x it's just that they don't actually do anything to the new page layout. My 'Custom menubar - reduce height by 33%' (and the 50% equivalent) are examples of this. I did find some new CSS to patch but in 4.16.x it looks hideous when patched. 4.17 may work better but it's equally possible the patch won't be needed at all in 4.17.

I haven't had much time to play yet because I'm busy with calibre 4 beta but I'm hoping to get back to it next week.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #102
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Am I the only one that wishes the information on the header and footer were swapped? Having the book info on the bottom and the chapter info at the top seems weird.

I suspect the change has to do with the new progress bar at the bottom, so I understand the rationale. But it still looks weird.
Quote:
Or if they let you decide where this information was placed. So have a header and footer setting and within those each would have every option available. Sure you could end up with the same info as both but you could just change it to something else if you didn’t want that.

Maybe this or some semblance of this can be done in a patch
I've long wished that Kobo would show you both the pages per chapter and the pages overall. Now that they do, I'm thinking the new progress bar is as good as showing me the overall pages left, so I'll likely just turn the footer off.

Having said that, if there's a patch that swapped header and footer info so at the bottom of the screen I have a footer showing me chapter title and pages left in the chapter on top of the overall progress bar, that would be best for me.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:54 PM   #103
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
For an example of this, see the rewritten kepub progress chart patch (it's now at the bottom of src/versions/4.16.13337/libnickel.so.1.0.0/geek1011.yaml).
Yes, it works in my ereader, thank you.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #104
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, most of my sideloaded books have been edited to fix the ToC.
Hello davidfor,

In general, what is the most likely way to edit / repair an epub that has this problem.

Thanks in advance!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #105
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Pardon my ignorance how does one go about snagging the patches that have been updated from github? And is it just grabbing the nickel, Adobe, rmsdk, and libnickle files or would I have to compile anything?
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, kobo, kobofirmware, libra