Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-21-2019, 03:39 PM   #46
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady loves E ink View Post
To my eyes the Glowlight 3 is sharpest. That being said, both devices are 300ppi, so the smaller screen would naturally be sharper, right?
No. The Glowlight 3 is sharper because it has an infrared screen, the new Plus has a capacitive screen (with an additional layer).

My Voyage also has the best screen I've ever seen on an eink reader (admittedly I have never seen a Nook), but I still prefer the Oasis with its 7'' screen.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #47
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
To my eyes the Glowlight 3 is sharpest. That being said, both devices are 300ppi, so the smaller screen would naturally be sharper, right?...
If they are both 300dpi, than the sharpness should be the same, all other things being equal; the screen size wouldn't matter if both devices are 300dpi.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #48
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
To my eyes the Glowlight 3 is sharpest. That being said, both devices are 300ppi, so the smaller screen would naturally be sharper, right? ...
No, all things being equal they would be the same. 300ppi on the 7.8" screen requires a higher resolution. (The 3 has a resolution of 1072 × 1448 whereas the Glowlight Plus (7.8") has a resolution of 1404 × 1872.) As Sirtel mentioned, it's the extra capacitive layer that makes the 7.8" a little less sharp. When I was comparing them at the store I couldn't see much difference (that's why I thought the 7.8" might have had an infrared touch screen). But I've learned from experience that the first impressions at the store can sometimes be deceiving. I do know that both screens looked really sharp and clear.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:43 PM   #49
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If they are both 300dpi, than the sharpness should be the same, all other things being equal; the screen size wouldn't matter if both devices are 300dpi.
Sorry for the redundancy.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:03 PM   #50
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Well, they took away the blue "Sold Out" notification on the Nook Glowlight Plus at Barnes & Noble — tricking me into thinking they had them back in stock. But it says "temporarily out of stock." I don't know if that's what it said before or not. At least it's a change. Maybe in another month or so ...
Advert
Old 06-28-2019, 05:14 PM   #51
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Back in stock.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/noo...=9780594829720
Old 06-28-2019, 05:15 PM   #52
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Well, I ordered one from Good eReader, because B&N refused to sell me (and of course they let me fill in my shipping address, payment etc and actually click the order button, before informing me they won't ship to my country. Grrr.)
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:33 PM   #53
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Do they add models later that have more memory? I'd be interested in a 32 gig model. For the Kindle Oasis it's only $30 more for 32 gig versus 8 gig.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:50 PM   #54
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Good news that they are now in stock again. I am ready to push the button to buy but still have one question....the buttons....are they quiet? I have the earlier 6 inch glowlight 3 and the buttons make an awful clicking sound so I do hope that the 7.8 version makes no sound. I hope someone can answer that...are they quiet?
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:38 AM   #55
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
Good news that they are now in stock again. I am ready to push the button to buy but still have one question....the buttons....are they quiet? I have the earlier 6 inch glowlight 3 and the buttons make an awful clicking sound so I do hope that the 7.8 version makes no sound. I hope someone can answer that...are they quiet?
Interesting question. I didn't notice while reading so I had to pick up my Nook and check. Yes, they do make a sound, but it is a very slight sound. Sorry, I don't have a Glowlight 3 to compare to.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #56
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
Interesting question. I didn't notice while reading so I had to pick up my Nook and check. Yes, they do make a sound, but it is a very slight sound. Sorry, I don't have a Glowlight 3 to compare to.
I bought a cheap Kindle Paperwhite on Shop Goodwill and they sent me a Glowlight 3 instead (in the process of getting it exchanged, just waiting on a return label now). Meanwhile I get to really try out the Glowlight 3 (something you can't do in the store). On the Glowlight 3 the keys click fairly loudly. Last night when I was reading, I used the touchscreen for fear of waking up my wife. So if the 7.8" keys make a "very slight sound" then they're quieter than the Glowlight 3.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:27 PM   #57
Lady loves E ink
Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus (2019), Glowlight 3, KA1, Nook Simple Touch
I have both, and the Glowlight Plus 7.8 has a very soft click while the Glowlight 3 is quite annoyingly loud (but the beautiful screen makes up for it IMHO).
Lady loves E ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:12 AM   #58
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
No, all things being equal they would be the same. 300ppi on the 7.8" screen requires a higher resolution. (The 3 has a resolution of 1072 × 1448 whereas the Glowlight Plus (7.8") has a resolution of 1404 × 1872.) As Sirtel mentioned, it's the extra capacitive layer that makes the 7.8" a little less sharp. When I was comparing them at the store I couldn't see much difference (that's why I thought the 7.8" might have had an infrared touch screen). But I've learned from experience that the first impressions at the store can sometimes be deceiving. I do know that both screens looked really sharp and clear.
All our needs as eReader consumers are different, though. I find the difference in sharpness negligible given what I will gain in screen realestate.

For instance, try reading the $50 techie programmer book like "Code Reading", by Diomidis Spinellis, availabe on B&N's store and google play on the gl3 to the 7.8 inch screen

Same goes for mathematics books like "What is Mathematics" by Courant and Robbins and "Mathematics for the Million" by Lancelot Hogben

There is all kinds of images and diagrams in these books and they are not even pdfs but epubs.

A dirty little secret of the of the eReader world is eReaders have not changed much in innovation in years now so the screen sharpness can't really matter that much in my reasoning except to the most anal people.

Last edited by Raphi'Elohim; 07-01-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:20 AM   #59
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I find it weird people can be so picky. I understand sound bothers smart people as the philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer said "a persons intelligence is inversely related to how much sound they can take" but that is more like random fire alarms noise levels and stuff of that nature I would think.

If you really find it a problem wear bluetooth headphones while listening to streaming soothing study orientated baroque music or something.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:03 PM   #60
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
I find it weird people can be so picky. I understand sound bothers smart people as the philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer said "a persons intelligence is inversely related to how much sound they can take" but that is more like random fire alarms noise levels and stuff of that nature I would think.
No, for Arthur Shopenhauer, it was noise in general. From his essay On Noise.

Quote:
Occasionally it happens that some slight but constant noise continues to bother and distract me for a time before I become distinctly conscious of it. All I feel is a steady increase in the labor of thinking — just as though I were trying to walk with a weight on my foot. At last I find out what it is.
https://www.noisehelp.com/schopenhauer-quotes.html

Personally, just by reading this essay, I come to the conclusion that Arthur Shopenhauer was something of a fussbudget and a bit conceited. Some people have a lower toleration for noise than others, is all. I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence. I know when I'm working on something that requires concentration and there is background music, or something else vying for my attention, that I find it really tiring — so I know this affects non-intelligent people as well. I understand what Shopenhauer means by "distractions" and "labor in thinking" (above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
If you really find it a problem wear bluetooth headphones while listening to streaming soothing study orientated baroque music or something.
I can't listen to music while I'm reading. I like it quiet. I guess that's why I usually read at night when everyone is asleep.

But, more on topic, the clicking keys on the GL3 are loud enough to wake my wife, who is a light sleeper.

Last edited by rcentros; 07-01-2019 at 12:08 PM.