Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old Today, 03:15 AM   #16
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O2, iPad Air 2, MBP; support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
I think it was Washington State that had a ballot measure to defund all public libraries, on the grounds that Amazon is available to everybody, and has all of the books one wishes to read.
There was a ballot measure? I know there was a terrible article on Forbes advocating this, but it was very thoroughly panned and they took it down.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...lic-libra.html

There was this recent measure to fund Seattle libraries, which passed easily. I suppose you could squint and call it a measure to defund libraries, if people had unexpectedly voted no? https://ballotpedia.org/Seattle,_Was...x_(August_2019)

Or was there another measure I can't find? I'm not super accomplished at searching for ballot measures.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:47 AM   #17
Uncle Robin
Enthusiast
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
And remember when it was a given that if you were talking the librarian would shush you? Now days it seems people make all the noise they want regardless of the idea of courtesy.
I have several friends who are librarians, including one locally who looks after our local library's Teen/YA activities, and all are big fans of the modern approach, as opposed to the medieval approach. In our library, and in most of the libraries I've visited in my country, there is plenty of room for peaceful reading, and serious study, AND for kids and others to engage with reading and literacy in an active and vigorous manner that helps them enjoy being in a library while minimising the risk that they might think it's a tomb.
Uncle Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:52 AM   #18
Kindleing
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
There was a ballot measure?
Not in the almost 20 years I have lived here, at least not statewide. Local property tax issues are voted on every couple of years but that isn't unique to libraries. Library funding in Washington is decided on a local basis by local voters - city, county or special district. Some pass, some don't; there are election cycles where voters have to choose among competing needs that are funded by property taxes. Typically fire protection, emergency medical services (ambulance/paramedic), law enforcement, special-purpose districts and, of course, schools can be on a local ballot for any given year. All of these combined can add up to property tax levels that make life difficult for many people. I see that in my own county where average income is nowhere near levels seen in the Seattle area.

Wally
Kindleing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:08 AM   #19
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
There was a time in my teens when we were way outside of town and I'd ride my bike an hour in mostly downhill and an hour and half back mostly uphill to go to the library. My town wasn't much bigger than Lee's, but they kept the library open for generations before I got there and my nieces, nephews and little cousins still use it today.

I still keep a library card where I live now, just for Overdrive, Hoopla, Kongregate, etc. The first computer I ever owned, I went to my local library to order it online.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:04 AM   #20
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
There was a time in my teens when we were way outside of town and I'd ride my bike an hour in mostly downhill and an hour and half back mostly uphill to go to the library. My town wasn't much bigger than Lee's, but they kept the library open for generations before I got there and my nieces, nephews and little cousins still use it today.

I still keep a library card where I live now, just for Overdrive, Hoopla, Kongregate, etc. The first computer I ever owned, I went to my local library to order it online.
You need to get with the program! It was an hour and a half, up hill both ways!

I was telling one of my students (she was around 11 at the time) about how rough I had it when I was a kid, walking to school a mile and a half, up hill both ways, in 100 degree weather and a foot of snow! She was totally buying it up until the foot of snow, then she say "wait a minute"
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:10 AM   #21
Uncle Robin
Enthusiast
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
in 100 degree weather and a foot of snow! She was totally buying it up until the foot of snow, then she say "wait a minute"
One word would've saved it - "Kelvin"
Uncle Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:27 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I was telling one of my students (she was around 11 at the time) about how rough I had it when I was a kid, walking to school a mile and a half, up hill both ways, in 100 degree weather and a foot of snow! She was totally buying it up until the foot of snow, then she say "wait a minute"
Hmm... I remember walking to school when the temperature was -30°C and there were snowdrifts to the roofs of two story buildings. This while I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts. I will admit it was downhill all the way to school and uphill all the way home. The joys of living within spitting distance of the Arctic circle.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote