Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #1
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bookeen
The most stable recent device that can run KOReader?

Hi

I use Android for KOReader, I love it but you know how it goes with Android and KOReader love. They have love and hate relationship, things are not always so smooth. However I love my KOReader.

I am thinking to get another device that is just for KOReader but I want stability and performance (compared to the Android KOReader experience that I have)

I read over hundred books (almost all were PDFs) on my Android w KOReader. It works but crashes, freezes etc not the things I want when reading inthe middle of the night.

What are your device recommendations just for the best KOReader experience especially for PDFs?

Last edited by loviedovie; 05-18-2017 at 11:44 AM.
loviedovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could get a Kobo Reader and install KOReader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #3
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You could get a Kobo Reader and install KOReader.
Yes but I am looking for a model number, and I am looking for a model that is recent like 1 year old at the most. Because I want to use it for couple years at least.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I would also suggest that the Kobo devices seem to make the best platform for KOReader. For PDFs the larger the screen the better.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #5
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Well, at the moment latest and "best" is Kobo Aura One (best is in quotation marks for a reason, it has some advantages and some disadvantages).

But, my choice would be Kobo H2O, not second edition, but original edition. You still can have it (I buy on ebay, but you can found it on some other places), it has decent screen size, IR for touch detection and all in all, koreader works great with it.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #6
loviedovie
Addict

@Alan_S

Thanks for the recommendation. I will take a look at that one.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
If you find an Aura HD available, mine have proven very reliable, and have the same screen size as the H2O. (The H2O has a newer Carta screen, though.)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:32 AM   #8
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
The H2O (first edition) definitely looks better than the Aura HD. Personally I'd probably go for the Aura One if I were buying a device today.

@Alan_S What are the disadvantages of the One?
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #9
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From what I read (never had one) KA1 has these main problems from my perspective:

-capacitive touch display which influences look of display (another layer between eyes and screen), but also some people find it very scetchy. It may depend on actual device, I don't know.

-flush bezel, I don't like it, it makes screen much more prone to scratches, problems with cover, all in all, you have device that have certain problems because screen is on same level with rest of the reader front surface.

-screen illumination, and I don't mean the one that don't function right because some factory error. I see there's a lot problems reported with how algorithm works. OK, that is nickel related, koreader at the moment doesn't support light temperatures (or I don't know something). Also, it looks it needs to have lights on all the time and it prefers higher light setting when there's more light in ambient. Of course, all of that can be solved by manually controlling lights.

-battery is much smaller. It doesn't need to be a problem. From my H2O I get about 10-14 days of reading, so I guess I would get 3-7 days with KA1.

All in all, I also very much prefer bigger screen than H2O, but if I would need to buy new device, I'd still try to buy H2O at the moment (first gen, not second). If I can't, I'll try KA1 and hope I don't have too much problems with device (you see a lot of faulty device reports, but this is just that, possibility with every device).

Last edited by Alan_S; 05-21-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. Do you literally mean a smaller battery or just that the same battery with a bigger screen depletes quicker? And the H2O v2 has the same problems from your perspective? Not being in the market for a reader I haven't really kept up.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:28 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If battery is a major concern, I'd suggest not getting an Aura HD, as they're pretty old now. Even my H2O is starting to show significant signs of battery life reduction, though more recently-manufactured ones should be ok. If you can wait, take a look at the new edition 2 H2O.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #12
loviedovie
Addict

So it sounds like KOreader runs the best on Kobo devices. FOr now I was more thinking a 6" one and Kobo only has KObo Aura.

Does KOreader runs fine on Aura?

I also do not see sd cards in these models, maybe it is related to the water tightness thing. Are there upgradable to 64gb mods at all?
Old 05-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #13
Frenzie
Wizard

That would be listed in the specs. The Kobo Aura H2O has an SD extension slot; the Kobo Aura v2 does not (but is that one even waterproof?).
Old 05-22-2017, 11:05 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
That would be listed in the specs. The Kobo Aura H2O has an SD extension slot; the Kobo Aura v2 does not (but is that one even waterproof?).
The new H2O does not have a microSD card slot, but it does have 8GB storage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #15
Alan_S
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
Thank you. Do you literally mean a smaller battery or just that the same battery with a bigger screen depletes quicker? And the H2O v2 has the same problems from your perspective? Not being in the market for a reader I haven't really kept up.
KA1 has smaller battery than H2O, capacity wise, not that screen is just larger. Also, people who use nickel (well, here it is not a problem, as we use koreader, don't we ) also use more power for light.

H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide ) is a bit different, but from what I read, it still isn't out, shipping should start today, so we will have first reports soon. So, I'm not that sure about it.

I know that H2O works great, I have one, I'm pretty satisfied with it. Maybe H2O2 will be great replacement, but that needs to be seen.

Still, if I should buy new device now, I'd first try to buy H2O, then KA1.

But, it always is important to know, these are just my preferences, others might choose differently.