Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
SkipStein
Skip Stein
SkipStein began at the beginning.

Device: Augen
Post Amazon Kindle Purchase to Calibre Help

Hi guys. I'm pretty new here. I have an older Augen ebook reader and like it fine. I actually don't do a lot of ebook reading but am getting used to it. I really prefer a nice 'book', but there are new and exciting titles only available with ebooks; many are free too!

My dilemma is that I have been using Calibre and love it for most things. I have purchased just a few Kindle titles but can't really access them. I can read them on my Kindle app on my cell phone but that basically sucks. I can open and see the ebook on my phone and can read it online, but I want to be able to transfer it to my Augen via Calibre (I know there is a conversion tool).

For some reason, I cannot find the file on my cell phone (I have it connected via USB and it's a new Samsung Galaxy S3). It isn't in the Kindle directory.

Anyone else have this issue? I really hate the Kindle closed format and probably will never buy there again, but I've got a couple of items in the library I'd love to extract.

Your help is appreciated!

Sincerely,

Skip Stein
SkipStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You should be able to download the file to Kindle for PC, and use that copy in Calibre, if you can't find the copy on your phone. Of course, the files will be DRMed to Kindle for PC, if you don't remove the DRM.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I don't know much about kindle but I do have a Samsung android phone and I have tried the kindle app on it. When I purchased an Amazon free book (but with DRM) Amazon sent it to the phones main memory to directory
/sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files.

If I wanted to send my calibre non-DRM mobis to the kindle app, I had to put them in a different directory in the phones main memory, /mnt/sdcard/kindle
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Yeah, problem is, you buy from Amazon, and you are locked in to only using it in kindle branded stuff. You have to strip the DRM to convert it to other formats. Only way to do that is if you have something that legitimately has access to the files (meaning, you can't download files from some random person and remove the DRM to give yourself a free copy.) We can't give any details on how to do that, we can only tell you to search for Apprentice Alf, and that he can help you.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle format, transfer to calibre