Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-19-2018, 06:36 AM   #27346
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Has the world stopped reading lately?

I just finished Tokyo Zodiac Murders by Soji Shimada, a cozy murder mystery with typical Japanese flavor. Good page turner.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:35 AM   #27347
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Intrigues, the second in the Collegium pentalogy.
Which I followed up quickly with the remaining volumes. All good, quick reads. Most enjoyable.

Next up: Games Wizards Play by Diane Duane. The 10th novel in her Young Wizards series.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #27348
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
My plate has been a bit full lately, and teh book I am reading is not as engaging as I would think it should be, so... nearing the end, though, and hopefully I will pick up something a little more appetizing.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:07 PM   #27349
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Lost In The Grooves edited by Kim Cooper and David Smay

Contains a list of albums, with a description of each one, that you might have missed that are worth a listen (such as L.A. [Light Album] by The Beach Boys).
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #27350
RobertLCollins
Groupie
RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Yesterday I finished Royal Assassin, the second book in Robin Hobb's "Farseer Trilogy." It was a really good novel. Took some turns I wasn't expecting, especially towards the end. I read Assassin's Apprentice, the first book in the trilogy, earlier this year. I'm going to wait a few days before starting on the third and final book, Assassin's Quest.
RobertLCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:52 AM   #27351
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'm reading The Great Halifax Explosion by John U. Bacon, August's choice for the New Leaf Book Club. How have I never heard of this event before? It is a remarkable retelling of a boat crammed with various explosive materials which blew up in Halifax harbour in 1917. To say it was a catastrophic event is to play it down, like saying a tornado is just a strong breeze. Painstakingly researched and well told, I am riveted.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #27352
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm reading The Great Halifax Explosion by John U. Bacon, August's choice for the New Leaf Book Club. How have I never heard of this event before? It is a remarkable retelling of a boat crammed with various explosive materials which blew up in Halifax harbour in 1917. To say it was a catastrophic event is to play it down, like saying a tornado is just a strong breeze. Painstakingly researched and well told, I am riveted.
Perhaps you may also like to read The Town That Died by Michael J. Bird, another chronicle of the Halifax disaster. I read that a few years ago in paperback format and I was stunned over the first documentary account of this disaster told from the personal experiences of survivors - before, during, and after the disaster.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #27353
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I'm 6% into Heroine Complex by Sarah Kuhn, but I'll probably start Halifax next, so I don't hit the discussion late again.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #27354
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Perhaps you may also like to read The Town That Died by Michael J. Bird, another chronicle of the Halifax disaster. I read that a few years ago in paperback format and I was stunned over the first documentary account of this disaster told from the personal experiences of survivors - before, during, and after the disaster.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to find The Great Halifax Explosion in paper form today, for my Mother's birthday next week, but apparently it just isn't available (at least here in the UK). I'll have to see if The Town that Died is. She has a Kindle, but just doesn't really get on with it, so a DTB it has to be.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #27355
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I'm also currently reading The Great Halifax Explosion, along with the 9th book in the Leary/Mundie RCN chronicles by David Drake. Those I've been binge reading, but mostly as audio books. More Space Opera than MilSF, but really somewhere in between. And definitely an homage to the Aubrey/Maturin series from Patrick O'Brian. Delightful reads, and so far no duds in the series at all.

As for The Great Halifax Explosion, I'll save discussion of that for the club, except to say that I'll second everything orlok said above.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:40 PM   #27356
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Next I'll try, Something From the Nightside by Simon Green.
This is one of those books full of improbabilities purposely written that way. Once I understood that I mildly enjoyed it. Still, too much telling and not enough showing. In total about 230 pages, the author could have added more danger and suspense especially as he states how dangerous, wild and unpredictable the Nightside is on nearly every page! I liked how it was written in a gumshoe sort of way with a nicely unexpected ending. Could have gone two or three stars on this one but in comparison to other reads I stuck with two stars. Rated C- [2 stars].

Next, a library book, City of Endless Night by Preston & Child.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #27357
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
along with the 9th book in the Leary/Mundie RCN chronicles by David Drake. Those I've been binge reading, but mostly as audio books. More Space Opera than MilSF, but really somewhere in between. And definitely an homage to the Aubrey/Maturin series from Patrick O'Brian. Delightful reads, and so far no duds in the series at all.
I started the second of those last night, only to (temporarily) give it up for poor formatting. Turns out I have an old copy of the ebook, which has since been updated, so I’m putting that title on hold until I update my library.

I did notice a very early typo in both editions, though. The first page of Chapter One describes a spaceship “lowering above” the people who are talking. I’m pretty sure that’s supposed to be “towering.”
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #27358
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Possibly. But I think he was actually going for "lower" to rhyme with glower:
Quote:
1. look angry or sullen; frown.
"the lofty statue lowers at patients in the infirmary"
* (of the sky, weather, or landscape) look dark and threatening.
"a day of lowering clouds"

synonyms: overcast, dark, leaden, gray, cloudy, clouded, gloomy, threatening, menacing, promising rain
"the lowering western sky"
ETA: I might add that this interpretation is supported by the audiobook version.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:55 AM   #27359
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Finished The Great Halifax Explosion. 5 stars, and the rest will wait for the New Leaf Book Club discussion starting August 15th. Next up, a return to Flavia DeLuce. I started one, but got sidetracked by book club reads.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:06 AM   #27360
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Here's a tiny but memorable video about the Halifax Explosion https://www.historicacanada.ca/content/heritage-minutes/halifax-explosion.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote