Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
HD screen coming for eink?

Well, XGA any, 768x1024.

http://www.everythingusb.com/iriver-story-hd-20824.html

With eink, I cannot see the pixel structure so the current resolution is fine for me. My problem is the stupid gray background. I want something white, or whitish. I'll take better contrast over colors or high resolution any day.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
MikeRo
Connoisseur
MikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle 3
A 768x1024 6 inch screen works out to roughly 213 ppi. The current flock of 5 inch readers already have 200 ppi resolution so you probably won't notice a big difference. My tired old eyes don't see a noticeable difference in resolution between my 5 inch Sony 300 at 200 ppi and my K3 at 167 ppi although I do notice the improved contrast on my K3 versus the previous generation E-ink screen on my Sony 300
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
JonB
JonB doesn't litterJonB doesn't litter

Device: Sony PR-505
I agree - better contrast before higher resolution works for me any day. That's why I chopped my PRS-505 for a K3, because the Pearl display was so much better to look at. It's a pity I don't have much time to use it...
JonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:25 AM   #4
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
I want lasers to directly inscribe text onto my retinas so that crystal clear text is fed directly to my brain.

So why not make a 20 page thread crying about how we need VRDs, rather than rehashing the same bleeding *$%&@& post that has been made 5000 times before?
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:39 AM   #5
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
I want lasers to directly inscribe text onto my retinas so that crystal clear text is fed directly to my brain.
I can't believe you want to waste your time going via your low resolution retinas. I want my k3 to inscribe the ebooks directly into my memory so I can instantly recall having read the book without wasting my time reading them.

Of course, when amazon pulls the book ala 1984 I will forget that I ever remembered reading it... damn you DRM
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
A white screen would be like white paper, it would make reading a lot more tiring.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #7
JonB
JonB doesn't litterJonB doesn't litter

Device: Sony PR-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post

So why not make a 20 page thread crying about how we need VRDs, rather than rehashing the same bleeding *$%&@& post that has been made 5000 times before?
That's a bit stiff. What are you adding to this discussion?
JonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I really didn't take anything in this thread as "crying."

While many may be satisfied with the current contrast, I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't be happy with a background that was a little closer to the "white-ish" of a real printed page.

And I'm sure we'll get there eventually.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
InspectorHopkins
InspectorHopkins began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi + 3G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I really didn't take anything in this thread as "crying."

While many may be satisfied with the current contrast, I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't be happy with a background that was a little closer to the "white-ish" of a real printed page.

And I'm sure we'll get there eventually.

Even as a brand-new beginning newbie, I have to completely agree with your statements!

I love my Kindle, have had it ten days now (still on my first full battery charge), and read it 2-3 hours each day. I have no problems with contrast and fully appreciate the ability to change font size, but I do wish the background looked a bit "whiter" or "brighter" as a real printed page.

Perhaps the DX looks "brighter" to curstpriest than the Kindle 3?

All best, and loving his Kindle,
Joe
InspectorHopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorHopkins View Post
but I do wish the background looked a bit "whiter" or "brighter" as a real printed page.
Read in a brighter light.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:34 AM   #11
Caleb666
Zealot
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
Quote:
You don't understand that a white-black contrast is tiresome to the eyes. Sharp contrast is not good. For the best reading experience the background should be light-gray, as it is now, and not perfectly white.
Caleb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:45 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb666 View Post
You don't understand that a white-black contrast is tiresome to the eyes. Sharp contrast is not good. For the best reading experience the background should be light-gray, as it is now, and not perfectly white.
While very high contrast isn't desired (which is why many printed books use cream paper, not bright white), the current E-Ink screens (even the Pearl ones) could do with the white being a little bit whiter.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
InspectorHopkins

Okay . . . I'm starting to pick up on this, thanks!

I didn't realize that a sharp white/black contrast could be tiring to the eyes, as Caleb666 and mr ploppy have said. Also, pdurrant points out that printed book often use cream paper.

This is my first and only e-reader.

I am learning to adjust to it (in the physical sense of screen size and light weight), but I can't honestly say that I found printed books to be tiring to my eyes, and they were "whiter" and "brighter" looking . . . . maybe I just didn't notice it to be tiring.

So it seems that many of you are saying that the "grayish" background is actually better in the long run!

JMikeD: you may be quite right. I read under somewhat dim conditions indoors (haven't tried reading outside yet); didn't notice a problem with regular books, but will try brighter lighting with my Kindle, then.

I did note that in reviews of "Nook vs. Kindle", it was frequently pointed out that brightly lit LCD screens would be much more tiring to the eyes than the "E-ink" on our Kindles.

OK! Good! . . . I'm still learning, and am glad to be here!

Thanks very much everyone,
Joe

Last edited by InspectorHopkins; 02-15-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb666
I do understand that... perfectly. I don't want a stark, pure white background.
But reading physical books has never been tiresome to my eyes. It has worked wonderfully well for me for over forty years. I want to be able to view a pbook and a Kindle under the exact same lighting and have the background and the contrast be similar. They're not. I can compensate by using more light when reading the Kindle, but that isn't always handy.

Besides if eInk screens ever become too sharp for the average reader... I'm sure they'll add a contrast control where you can tailor the experience to your tastes. But right now, the contrast is maxed out on these screens and they're still not quite where they need to be.

IMO as always.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-15-2011 at 10:49 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #15
InspectorHopkins

Quote:
But reading physical books has never been tiresome to my eyes. It has worked wonderfully well for me for over forty years. I want to be able to view a pbook and a Kindle under the exact same lighting and have the background and the contrast be similar. They're not. I can compensate by using more light when reading the Kindle, but that isn't always handy.

Thank you, DiapDealer

That's what I was trying to express above!

Nonetheless, I can't believe how much I love my Kindle . . . this is one of the best purchases I ever made in my life!

I love reading more than ever now . . . it is SO much more convenient, and is changing my life quite a bit.

Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gone for the larger "DX" reader . . .

All best, Joe

Last edited by InspectorHopkins; 02-15-2011 at 11:02 AM.