Notices

Old 01-08-2021, 02:02 PM   #1
seby
seby began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
New 10" Likebook P10 from Boyue

Just seen it on the good eReader website:
https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...that-costs-279

It's essentially a cheaper version of the Alita (sells for 350$ against 440$). It has lower hardware specs: 2GB RAM vs 4GB Alita, no SD card (but 64GB vs 32GB Alita), lower display resolution (194ppi vs 226ppi), CPU with 4 cores vs 8 cores of Alita.

It might make sense for people that just want a bigger Mars but don't want to pay the price of the Alita. For me the absence of the SD card is a deal breaker, as I have a huge collection of comics (way more than 64GB), but for others might be great.
In any case, it's the cheapest 10" ereader currently in the market, I believe.

Last edited by seby; 01-08-2021 at 05:10 PM.
seby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 03:20 AM   #2
menpe
Enthusiast
menpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Boyue Likebook P78, Onyx Boox i86HDML+
As a manga-only e-reader user, this move fills me with joy.
Not gonna lie, when I saw the news yesterday, I started to think about it really seriously but as long as my current devices (I use a 8" e-reader and a 10" tablet, both old but do their job adequately) function, it should be the offer of the century which could force me to upgrade. I'd say I'm 90% there but even a half decent color capability is necessary to replace all my currently used devices with one which can do all at once.
But the direction is great, let's see how the market responds.
menpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2021, 03:39 AM   #3
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
Still well over priced. At least they have given up on the note taking function heralded for the Alita which is nowhere near the technologically advanced paper and pencil method I'm sticking with.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 03:51 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
Still well over priced. At least they have given up on the note taking function heralded for the Alita which is nowhere near the technologically advanced paper and pencil method I'm sticking with.
Wrong.
Look here
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:47 AM   #5
Merithyn
Nameless Being

Going with a lower ppi than Alita in a new model. Dunno.
Advert
Old 01-09-2021, 09:57 AM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merithyn View Post
Going with a lower ppi than Alita in a new model. Dunno.
Another technology - it looks like glass to me not Mobius.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:05 PM   #7
seby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Another technology - it looks like glass to me not Mobius.
Very likely. The display used by the P10 is probably the same used in the Xiaomi Moaan Inkpad X - it has the same resolution (1600x1200, 194PPI). According to Good Ereader (which can be wrong, as it often is), the Moaan (which sells for 400$) has a Carta glass screen.

Last edited by seby; 01-09-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:57 PM   #8
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
Good e-Reader reviewers are from another planet Seby so I share share your scepticism. However many cores these devices feature they remain sluggish. I remain convinced that the note taking function is poor compared with paper and pencil.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:23 AM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
I remain convinced that the note taking function is poor compared with paper and pencil.
But it is not very easy to make it computer usable.
With Notes devices it happens at the push of a button.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:04 PM   #10
seby

Not sure what's going on with pricing on GoodEreader. The price has been lowered from 350$ to 329$. Also, the html file name of the goodEreader web page is "boyue-p10-is-a-10-3-inch-e-reader-that-costs-279"! Some greedy people there
Hopefully, when the P10 will be available on AliExpress, the price will be even lower...
Old 01-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by seby View Post
Not sure what's going on with pricing on GoodEreader. The price has been lowered from 350$ to 329$. Also, the html file name of the goodEreader web page is "boyue-p10-is-a-10-3-inch-e-reader-that-costs-279"! Some greedy people there
Hopefully, when the P10 will be available on AliExpress, the price will be even lower...
Interestingly, the P6 is not available in the Likebook Reader Store on AliExpress
Old 02-16-2021, 03:58 PM   #12
p38lightning
Zealot
p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Lenovo Tab M9
Wow, here we go. For those of us who simply want an ereader for reading (and possibly for audio books) without all the bells and whistles is this step backward to 200 ppi a visual issue of significance? I am currently using a Likebook Mars (300 ppi) 7.8 inch screen and would love to move up to this unit which is much closer to my Nook HD+ 8.9 inch screen which was and still is my personal sweet spot as an avid reader. Two to three times a year, I still drag out the HD+ for a few weeks until my muscle memory reminds me how heavy that beast still is! If it wasn't for the weight issue, I would still use it until it dies as it had/has such an excellent screen. I even replaced the original battery two years ago! Getting back to my original point: What impact on visual appearance (printed words) and potential eyestrain would the reduction from 300ppi to 200ppi have on extended reading times.? Does the increased screen size help offset the loss of ppi and (perhaps) less contrast? Also, for my highly targeted usage as an ereader only, I am very resistant when it comes to exceeding the mid to high $200.00 range for a unit and this is already well over the $300.00 mark. Would love to see a version without this one's extras but with a 300ppi or higher simple touchscreen and wifi for the same or sub $300. price point.
p38lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:10 PM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard

Mars has a higher number of pixels than the P10; the P10 is also heavy.
In my opinion, the Alita is better.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:25 PM   #14
p38lightning
Zealot
p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Lenovo Tab M9
Thanks for the "heads up" regarding the weight. The HD+ comes in at 18 oz, while the new P10 is 16.2. I thought (the P10) would have been noticeably lighter. Less than a 2 oz. difference does not warrant the expenditure! The HD+ has 256ppi which is closer to the Mars than the P10.

Last edited by p38lightning; 02-16-2021 at 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling correction
p38lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:43 AM   #15
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by p38lightning View Post
Thanks for the "heads up" regarding the weight. The HD+ comes in at 18 oz, while the new P10 is 16.2. I thought (the P10) would have been noticeably lighter. Less than a 2 oz. difference does not warrant the expenditure! The HD+ has 256ppi which is closer to the Mars than the P10.
Ppi are only important when writing - when reading, you can hold a larger device further away from your eyes, which is less strenuous.
You can see a Likebook Alita (10.3 ') at a distance of 27 inches from the eyes, about the same size as a Likebook Mars (7.8') 20 inches away and because it has the same number of pixels, it is equally sharp.
Only when writing (Notes devices) do you use the same distance, and then you see 7.8 inch devices smaller, but also sharper than the 10.3.
Only the 13.3 incher have a higher number of pixels.