Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-05-2021, 09:23 AM   #196
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
If you haven't read the original novel Spartacus, I recommend it. It's a great work conceived by the author while imprisoned during the McCarthy era. It's nothing like the film; a different story altogether.
I was talking about the HBO series, not the Kirk Douglas movie. I liked the movie and yes I'm familiar with the story of Howard Fast. Let's just say that Fast was apparently not a student of Roman History.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:49 PM   #197
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
This is actually an attempt to monopolise web serials.

Historically magazines and papers were easier to get published in than by a book publisher. Vella makes no sense for writers or readers, only for Amazon.
I don't know if THIS iteration is going to be successful or not. But the popularity of short video marketing (YouTube, Instagram, Tik Tok) tells me the market for intellectual property is changing. I think modern, younger users, are interested in short, SHORT media experiences. This is a valid experiment in my eyes. Writers need to consider if their stories can be tailored to fit into a short-read format.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:30 PM   #198
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I don't know if THIS iteration is going to be successful or not. But the popularity of short video marketing (YouTube, Instagram, Tik Tok) tells me the market for intellectual property is changing. I think modern, younger users, are interested in short, SHORT media experiences. This is a valid experiment in my eyes. Writers need to consider if their stories can be tailored to fit into a short-read format.
I guess Twitter and Vine have been attempts to find the edge of that envelope.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:26 PM   #199
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It looks like the launch of this will be in about a month.

Announcement: Kindle Vella readers are coming!

Quote:
We're excited to share that readers will have access to Kindle Vella stories in the Kindle iOS app and on Amazon.com by mid to late July!
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:30 PM   #200
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
So, I'm not interested at all in this, but seems odd that it's only available "By mid to late July, Kindle Vella stories will be available to readers in the Kindle iOS app and on Amazon.com."

No available to users with the Fire tablets? Just Apple devices, and via the web site?

Oh goody, I can give a "thumbs up" to stories I like.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:13 PM   #201
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I can't think of the term "Kindle Vella" without hearing it in my head the way the mice say "Cinderella! Cinderella!" in the Disney movie. "Kindle Vella! Kindle Vella!"
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:23 PM   #202
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I can't think of the term "Kindle Vella" without hearing it in my head the way the mice say "Cinderella! Cinderella!" in the Disney movie. "Kindle Vella! Kindle Vella!"
Now I have an ear worm.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:13 PM   #203
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
-
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:16 PM   #204
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
No available to users with the Fire tablets? Just Apple devices, and via the web site?
So Kindle Vella is not going to work on Kindles — not even "Kindle" Fires?

Maybe they should have come up with a different name.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:20 AM   #205
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post

I could be wrong, but my strong impression is that they are targeting the YA reading group, (Wattpadders, in other words and that ilk) most of whom read on smartphones.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:16 AM   #206
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post

Amazon has announced that support for Vella will be coming to the Kindle for Android app and that runs on Fire tablets.

They haven't said anything about support on Kindle devices either way, so it may come eventually.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:45 AM   #207
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Still, Vella, and ANYTHING else that isn't compatible with eink Kindles should not have Kindle in the name. It's marketing people being idiots.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:40 PM   #208
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Still, Vella, and ANYTHING else that isn't compatible with eink Kindles should not have Kindle in the name. It's marketing people being idiots.
That is actually quite true/funny. It's almost like an oxymoron.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:17 PM   #209
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
That is actually quite true/funny. It's almost like an oxymoron.
Marketing People and Idiot is an Oxymoron with the emphasis on moron.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:49 AM   #210
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
A lot of users only use the mobile app versions of reader software. I was that way originally long before I purchased a Kindle and Kobo. Since the Vella program is coming out for iOS devices this month, and soon for Kindle app on Android, it seems we are looking at a different market than is found with the Kindle eReader. To Amazon, they're all Kindles, and as they roll out support to more and more devices, we can only hope that Kindle eReaders will get in on the fun. (Though one hopes they roll it out faster than they did Display Cover support 😏 )

Emphasis on mobile devices could have everything to do with the way the books are being paid for. All modern phones already have system wide methods of in-app purchasing. Kindle eReader software, in contrast, leaves the book to visit the store. Amazon would have to change the OS to allow for in-app purchasing to make Vella's compulsive purchasing work. Since it's a new platform, I suspect they're leveraging already coded in-app purchasing on mobile devices to get the ball rolling before investing infrastructure to change the Kindle eReader.

Just spit ballin' here. LOL
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote