Notices

Old 03-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
davecabezo
Enthusiast
davecabezo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
New Paperwhite

Hi,
I've had a Kindle series 3 for years and have my books stored on Calibre and transfer them to the Kindle. I've had no problems up to now with being able to see and sort the books on the Kindle into series and order of publication.
Now I've got the paperwhite it seems to be much more difficult to set up.
I started with only 1 author and transfered the books to the new Kindle but I can only view the books 4 at a time (Front Cover) or when I manage to get a list of books on the Kindle it doesn't list titles etc it only say's PLUGBOARD Template error Sign not.... I'm getting frustrated.
I know I need to go to the Plugboard and alter some settings but I don't know where to begin. In calibre I have, Title,Author,Date,Size, Rating,Tags, Series,Publisher,Published,Order,and series order
I'm getting a bit long in the tooth now to be able to fathom this out, I like the paperwhite screen but I'm having difficulty setting it up

Help please in simple step by step instructions on what I need to do

Regards
davecabezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:43 AM   #2
davecabezo
Enthusiast

Hi,
Is there anyone on this forum able to help me???

Regards

Dave
Old 04-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The error is that the plugboard is invalid. We would need to see what you have as the plugboard to be able to guess what the error is. But, I suggest having a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=100949. This has example plugboards. Start by finding one that is close to what you want and try that. Then you can make changes to get exactly what you want.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
davecabezo
Enthusiast

Many Thanks for your reply,
I'm a complete novice when it comes to setting up a plugboard.
What I would like is to sort it by Author,Title,Series,Series Order,. Would that be enough to enable me to see which book is next in a series or in the case of stand alone novels which book was next in published date.
I see that there appears to be strict format rules and differences for different tablets.
Would it be possible for you to post a simple plugboard which would do what I basically want and I can then experiment.
The plugboard which was already set up in calibre is :- any format,any device, and the source template is :- {series:l l}{series_index0>2s | [|]}{title}} and destination field is title
Hope this all makes sense to you

Regards

Dave
Old 04-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
davecabezo
Enthusiast

Just an after thought, In Calibre the sequence for my books by Graham Masterton is:-
Title (The Manitou), Author (Graham Masterton), Series (Harry Erskin [1])

Dave
Old 04-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
You have typos in your plugboard.

Assuming you want:
Code:
Harry Erskin [01] The Manitou
Use:
Code:
{series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|[|] }{title}
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
davecabezo
Enthusiast

I would prefere the Author first then the title then series as Masterton also has a lot of stand alone novels
Old 04-18-2018, 12:02 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You can not LOGICALLY, sort by series_order if you sort by Title or (sometimes) Author before the series.
Some series have varied Authors contributing. Who knows how the index will fall.

For my K4:
I use the plugboard to insert the index into the Title. I also use Kindle Collections to create 'Collections' by Series
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #9
davecabezo
Enthusiast

So what would happen if an Author didn't have a series, also I would like all of an authors books to be together, would that mean making different folders for the various authors on the Kindle? and some authors have a few different series so how would I keep them under a particular Author?

Last edited by davecabezo; 04-18-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecabezo View Post
So what would happen if an Author didn't have a series, also I would like all of an authors books to be together, would that mean making different folders for the various authors on the Kindle? and some authors have a few different series so how would I keep them under a particular Author?
Your Kindle can display by Author natively. IIRC It biases the book order by title (the other native sort)
Since there are no Index values, the title falls after those that belong to a series, since digits (alpha) sort before letters
If you INCLUDE the Series name in the Title field, the name can get so long that you can't read it The real title) in the catalog
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #11
davecabezo
Enthusiast

Will try to digest the info you have all given me and I will experiment then get back to you with an update

Regards

dave
Old 04-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #12
davecabezo
Enthusiast

I have managed to make a collection called Graham Masterton and transferred some books onto the Kindle but even though I transferred the books while the collection was open the books still just went to the main page of the Kindle.
In Calibre I have the books listed in order i.e. Title = The Manitou, Series = Harry Erskine [1] etc for other books in that series but the plugboard did not sort the books in numerical order under the series.
The plugboard I used was :- any format:any device, {series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|[|] }{title}. So what changes do I need to make to the plugboard to get the books in the correct order

Regards

Dave
Old 04-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecabezo View Post
I have managed to make a collection called Graham Masterton and transferred some books onto the Kindle but even though I transferred the books while the collection was open the books still just went to the main page of the Kindle.
In Calibre I have the books listed in order i.e. Title = The Manitou, Series = Harry Erskine [1] etc for other books in that series but the plugboard did not sort the books in numerical order under the series.
The plugboard I used was :- any format:any device, {series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|[|] }{title}. So what changes do I need to make to the plugboard to get the books in the correct order

Regards

Dave
Plugboard is fine. You need to switch Sort Method on the Kindle to Collection (options are Recent, Title, Author, Collection). Then when you have the Collection open, Sort by Title.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote