Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Unhappy Frozen/screen & charging problems

So I got my new 650 today, and connected it via the supplied USB to my PC a few hours ago (the store didn't have any power supplies). Ever since then I have been struggling to get the device to work: screen keeps freezing, it is very slow to respond, I have to keep resetting it etc etc. Finally it seems to be getting better. I think my problems may have been down to two things:

1. Possibly there was a bit of damp inside (the manual warns about this causing the symptoms I saw).

2. It was not sufficiently charged (despite the little red light going out).

I'm going to leave it charging overnight and we'll see in the morning.

I thought I would post this in case anyone else has similar problems. I was all set to return it to the store tomorrow. Probably won't now.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And make certain that your computer isn't set to go to sleep or hibernate after a certain period of inactivity... check energy saver settings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
So I got my new 650 today, and connected it via the supplied USB to my PC a few hours ago (the store didn't have any power supplies). Ever since then I have been struggling to get the device to work: screen keeps freezing, it is very slow to respond, I have to keep resetting it etc etc. Finally it seems to be getting better. I think my problems may have been down to two things:

1. Possibly there was a bit of damp inside (the manual warns about this causing the symptoms I saw).

I thought I would post this in case anyone else has similar problems. I was all set to return it to the store tomorrow. Probably won't now.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
If you do get a lemon, I hope they don't charge you the 15% restocking fee.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Quote:

Did you see 'Charge complete' message on the screen after PRS-650 is fully charged?

If not, I think your PC must have been in a state of not providing any current to your PRS-650. This also explains why the little red light turned off, not because it was fully charged, but maybe because your PC simply stopped supplying the power.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:57 AM   #5
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yts06mgr View Post
Did you see 'Charge complete' message on the screen after PRS-650 is fully charged?

If not, I think your PC must have been in a state of not providing any current to your PRS-650. This also explains why the little red light turned off, not because it was fully charged, but maybe because your PC simply stopped supplying the power.
You could be right. I get the "Charging battery" message, the red light goes out after a few minutes, and the after leaving it overnight it still says "Charging battery", (the computer did not hibernate). When I disconnect, the screen does not change, and now it won't reset!

I was using a USB port that I used OK to charge my PRS 505.

Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 03:47 AM   #6
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Quote:
You could be right. I get the "Charging battery" message, the red light goes out after a few minutes, and the after leaving it overnight it still says "Charging battery", (the computer did not hibernate). When I disconnect, the screen does not change, and now it won't reset!

I was using a USB port that I used OK to charge my PRS 505.

The user guide says it should take about 3 hours to fully charge a completely empty battery.
When you have 'the red light goes out after a few minutes', does the screen show 'Charge complete' message?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Stop diagnosing it and take it back for an exchange.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
ShellShock
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by yts06mgr View Post
The user guide says it should take about 3 hours to fully charge a completely empty battery.
When you have 'the red light goes out after a few minutes', does the screen show 'Charge complete' message?
No, it was frozen on the "Charging battery" message, and would not reset.

I've now got a replacement from the Sony store. They could not get the old one to reset. I have not connected the replacement yet to my PC, but I have switched it on and it is showing three quarters charged, and is of course working OK. Let's see if that is still the case after I have fully charged it!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #9
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
I have had my 650 for about three days now. I have been having the same problem. Mine freezes randomly, sometimes while turning pages, sometimes while accessing menus, etc. After searching this forum, I found that there's a thread about this for the 600 - I tried some of the things in that thread and they have helped.

I took out my SD card and loaded a few hundred books to the internal memory. No freezes or glitches at all, even while doing some fast page turns. The device worked easier and faster overall.

Right now I'm about to try out my SD card again, this time loaded with epubs only (last was a mix of epub and PDF) in case some of the PDFs are really large and hanging something up. Will report back if anything changes....

The thread for the 600 - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56621
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:38 AM   #10
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
I converted all my PDFs to ePubs and reloaded the SD card with about 2,000 titles. I put it back into the 650 and let it load everything up. Other than a single auto-restart during loading, I haven't had any freezes or lockups since doing this. With no freezes, I've been able to put the reader through it's paces and I'm much, much happier with it now. I hope this, or the 600 thread I posted a link to previously will be of some help to someone else.
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
paka
paka began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Anesthezea - many thanks for your tips. Having the same problems with uploading up to 6000 books. Constantly freezes and reboots without recovering. Have a mix of epub and pdf files. Some pdf files are large (up to 32MB). Will try again with epub only and report back the results.
PS: I am uploading to SD card only.
paka is offline   Reply With Quote