Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
I just found this out today and it made me really depressed

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_N...ing_Fake_Prom/

Quote:
To prevent Constance McMillen from bringing a female date to her prom, the teen was sent to a "fake prom" while the rest of her class partied at a secret location at an event organized by parents.

McMillen tells The Advocate that a parent-organized prom happened behind her back — she and her date were sent to a Friday night event at a country club in Fulton, Miss., that attracted only five other students. Her school principal and teachers served as chaperones, but clearly there wasn't much to keep an eye on.

"They had two proms and I was only invited to one of them," McMillen says. "The one that I went to had seven people there, and everyone went to the other one I wasn’t invited to."
Last week McMillen asked one of the students organizing the prom for details about the event, and was directed to the country club. "It hurts my feelings," McMillen says.

Two students with learning difficulties were among the seven people at the country club event, McMillen recalls. "They had the time of their lives," McMillen says. "That's the one good thing that come out of this, [these kids] didn't have to worry about people making fun of them [at their prom]."
What made me so depressed about this is the same damn thing happened in 1965 to a black student.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...g=6862,5131613
Quote:
(Carolyn King) spent all Saturday getting ready, fixing her hair, slipping into the pink floral dress her mother finished the week before….She and her date drove that 1965 night with her father and a retinue of supporters and protectors toward the high school gym. They turned the corner. The gymnasium was dark, empty…..White mothers of the prom planners had kept the location of the Jones Valley High prom a secret so she couldn’t attend…."Of course they all taunted me about it -- `Did you like the prom, Caroline?’”
Shame on me for not noticing this earlier. How could a whole town be so mean? An entire town conspiring against a hand full of students... this is a new low I've ever seen in the civilized world.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:37 AM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Also, man has landed on the moon!
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 01:52 AM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Sarcasm aside, this story was widely reported around the world in March, plus this update from a couple of weeks ago.

As for "How could a whole town be so mean?", it is simple-- they are Christians.

http://lezgetreal.com/2010/07/americ...en-settlement/

Last edited by ardeegee; 08-05-2010 at 01:56 AM.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:28 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Religion can destroy more than anything else. And, according to those extremist (yes, I find them extremist), they are in the right and everybody else is wrong. And that goes with all religions, not only Christians.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:39 AM   #5
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Sarcasm aside, this story was widely reported around the world in March, plus this update from a couple of weeks ago.

As for "How could a whole town be so mean?", it is simple-- they are Christians.

Actually, although they may claim to be, I have issues with anyone that can do such a thing and still call themselves a "Christian". And although there are a many people bigots claiming to be practitioners of various religions that act or are capable of acting in such an abhorrent manner, I have met and/or talked to several nice religious people that actually seem to be what they claim, that is, tolerant and inclusive.

Religion doesn't make bad people, people make bad people. If religion didn't exist, bad people would find something else to justify their intolerance.

And, FWIW, I'm a self-realized atheist and always have been. You can't even imagine what they was like when attending a catholic school.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 02:43 AM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
And, FWIW, I'm a self-realized atheist and always have been. You can't even imagine what they was like when attending a catholic school.
I can - I was one too! I was an atheist altar boy .
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:46 AM   #7
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
A lot of nuts like to group together in an area and call themselves part of a religion.

Let's be realistic about things...the majority of Christians in America (where incident occured) dont give a damn enough about you or their religion to worry about this stupid crap. I can go to work and point at 10 people who go to church on Sunday and none of them will ever bring up God or their values to you. The majority of Christians simply do not care.

I think people are just rotten in general. A lot of people got smart and realized that starting a cult is a lot harder than twisting the hell out of an already existing faith.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:49 AM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Religion doesn't make bad people, people make bad people. If religion didn't exist, bad people would find something else to justify their intolerance.
But it can provide a "socially acceptable" unjustifiable pretense for unjustifiable actions.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:50 AM   #9
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
But it can provide a "socially acceptable" unjustifiable pretense for unjustifiable actions.
like politics or them global warming jackasses.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:56 AM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Sadly HT, actual science is not acceptable to those global warming denier jackasses. They a purely faith based delusional.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:03 AM   #11
happy_terd
Banned

Example...

If I wanted to have sex with animals and had a group of say 20 other people who liked having sex with animals and we call ourselves christians and live on a farm somewhere, then are we christians? If we get caught should the christian community, which 99% of the time is against the nut jobs, take the heat?

No. Because we are a bunch of jackasses that twisted the faith to support our own twisted beliefs and prejudices.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:13 AM   #12
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
No, religious extremism is not "socially acceptable" to the mainstream of society and it won't ever be unless the majority become extremists - but then, by definition, they won't be "extreme".

What religion does, is allow people to justify their own irrationality, that's it. They chose to interpret a religions teachings in a way that bolsters the biases that they already are inclined to have and ignore those things that don't.

But if religion weren't there, people would use something else. Just look at the Stalin years in Russia; all sorts of atrocities were justified by all sorts of people without religion entering into the equation.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:51 AM   #13
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
When are we as a so-called superior species going to realise that *Love is where you find it.* Also, who are we to criticise other people's sexual choices? Also, it makes no difference whether people are black, white or brindle.

Nice people come in various hues and shades. So do gay people.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #14
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post

Speaking as a news freak, how could I have missed this?

The thing that really scared me was that the whole event was planned by parents just like the 1965 case with Carolyn King. We're talking about adults here for god sake. Jesus H Christ.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote