Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
Lianne
Nameless Being

Exclamation Tried to create 2nd library, now the original is MIA.

What I did exactly, tried to create a new library at a new location and then chose a new folder with different name. Damn what have I done. I searched the forum and saw this post.

Quote:
Yes - you can have a second library in Calibre, although in most cases it is easier to have only one physical library and create 'virtual libraries' by using tags.

If you have more than one library then every time you want to switch libraries you will need to go into the Calibre Preferences to switch to the alternative library. You can also specify the library to be used when launching Calibre by using "--with-library path_to_library_folder" as a parameter to the launch command.
Yet I see nowhere in preferences where I can just select the other library. I even looked for where my original calibre library was on my cpu and it is now gone and not in the Trash either.
WTF?

So since I see the new named library, is the old one just hidden and how do I switch it back again? Then the heck with a separate library I'll just use tags for it.

Last edited by Lianne; 08-14-2010 at 01:10 AM. Reason: typos
Old 08-14-2010, 01:43 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The default action in Calibre if a library does not already exist at the new location is to move the previous one to this location which sounds like what has happened?

If you had first copied the old library at the OS level then you would have two libraries ( which are initially the same but can now start deviating) which you can now switch between. Alternatively you could have used the Calibre command that creates a new empty library at the new location.

Last edited by itimpi; 08-14-2010 at 01:45 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 05:27 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianne View Post
So since I see the new named library, is the old one just hidden and how do I switch it back again? Then the heck with a separate library I'll just use tags for it.
Have you used the library icon next to view in the toolbar?

It tells you the location you are running it from across the top. Then shows three options below. The first option is to choose another existing library to view, the second option creates a new empty library and the third option moves your existing library to a new location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	library_options.png
Views:	236
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	56645  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
Lianne
Nameless Being

No none of the books from the original library are in the new library. Yes dwanthny that is the library icon I used and the new library is opening by default now. I chose the 2nd option; create a new library at a new location.

I have found the original folder which I was thinking was something else so that's good, and I have calibre opening with it now. Geesh, I'll leave things alone next time.

Last edited by Lianne; 08-14-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianne View Post
I have found the original folder which I was thinking was something else so that's good, and I have calibre opening with it now. Geesh, I'll leave things alone next time.
I sounds to me as if you did great. OK you may have shortened your lifespan with the fright you gave yourself, but you figured it out quickly enough and now you'll be able to share this experience with others in the future when they go into panic mode.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert