Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
Can you read it in direct sunlight?

I can't find the answer anywhere though I have had an interesting time trawling through all the threads!
I can read my e-ink in direct sunlight and while something so much more sophisticated would be fun for me any device for reading would have to cope with sunshine.
Would love to know.
Thank you.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
You can actually "see it" in direct sunlight. But "read it"? I wouldn't be able to.
I do check email/twitter/SMS on my iPhone in sunlight with no problems, though. And the iPhone 4 screen is pretty amazing, even in direct sunlight. But its tough to beat eInk displays for use in direct sunlight for actual reading, for now. Some new technologies coming down the road may change all that, though.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It depends on how you define direct sunlight. I do have to take off my sunglasses to read, but I can read it in the sun. I can't read it if the Sun or any other bright light source is shining directly on it, but I can solve that by shifting slightly so the light source isn't directly on it. So far, I haven't found it a problem at all. Since I do have a Sony 505, I might choose to take the Sony with me to the beach rather than the iPad, but that's more to avoid getting sand on my iPad than worry about not being able to read it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
no, you can't. it will also quickly overheat in direct sun and shut down.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
It certainly loses some readability (like any LCD) in daylight but is still quite visible nonetheless. Reading eBooks is definitely possible. It doesn’t overheat either. However, in direct sunlight it is more difficult to use and may in fact overheat if left there for a long period. However, Kindles suffer in that scenario as well because of their plastic displays’ sunlight reflections. Personally, I wouldn’t even want to read print media in direct sunlight because they often get so bright that they hurt my eyes. After all, everything reflects the sun.

Last edited by Yoshi 1080; 07-05-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I can, but it is not a pleasant experience. Standing in the sun is hot, and not a place I want to read. With brightness turned up all the way it's readable, but not great. I read in the shade, and have no problem.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:48 AM   #7
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
How about sitting in the shade? No problem then?
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:01 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In the shade it's fine, but if you want to read in "real" sunshine you're a lot better off with an eInk screen. The iPad is primarily an "indoor" reader - you're not going to want to take it to the beach .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:38 AM   #9
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In the shade it's fine, but if you want to read in "real" sunshine you're a lot better off with an eInk screen. The iPad is primarily an "indoor" reader - you're not going to want to take it to the beach .
I fully agree. Tried the ipad on the balcony. With a little shade, it's perfect. Well, I wouldn't want to sit in direct sunlight the whole day either
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
It's not a great "sun reader". Shade is fine. I do often read out in the back yard in the shade. Then again, I'm not particularly fond of sitting in the sun to read anyway.

I've read in the car (wife driving) just fine as well.

I would not recommend the iPad for reading on the beach. Then again, I'd not take any expensive reader to the beach. I'm more than happy to get a paper back or a magazine to read for the .005% of the time that I really want to read outside next to sand and water.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #11
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
...I would not recommend the iPad for reading on the beach...Lee
No beach close by here anyways
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
no, you can't. it will also quickly overheat in direct sun and shut down.
Make that "may" overheat. Mine doesn’t. And I'm in Texas.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #13
tdmsu
Enthusiast
tdmsu began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova2
I agree with other posters - tilting will remove any glare, and I like to sit in the shade anyway.
tdmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #14
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
I'd say even shade reading is just OK, at best. If you're at all sensitive to glare, you may not be happy with it. I was out in the shade yesterday with the brightness turned all the way up, and regardless of the angle, the reflections on the glass were still a distraction for me. It was doable for surfing, but there's no way I would've gotten into the fully immersive experience that reading from e-ink can be.

Indoors (and especially at night), I can read very comfortably on the iPad.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
Thank you one and all.
I enjoy sitting in my garden in sunshine and reading keeps the guilt [if not the weeds] at bay!! I'll stick with my reader for now, the no-glare screen is so relaxing. I wouldn't want to lose that even for the joy of a screen swipe page turn.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote