Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
0.2.1 bug? (3 .xml files inserted into epubs)

I've noticed that Sigil has been inserting 3 .XML (pretty much) blank files into some epubs when I save. These 3 files effectively create 3 blank pages at the beginning of the ebook. If I manually remove them after I reopen the book, they don't seem to get re-added again.

The files are:

colorschememapping.xml
item0001.xml
filelist.xml

They are just blank html pages containging the following:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>

<body>
</body>
</html>
I'm wondering if this is due to a bug/change in 0.2.1, since I don't remember ever seeing it in 0.2.0.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Nothing in Sigil creates those files. I've never seen them before in my life.

EDIT: A quick google search seems to suggest they're created by Word 2007.

Last edited by Valloric; 06-20-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Nothing in Sigil creates those files. I've never seen them before in my life.

EDIT: A quick google search seems to suggest they're created by Word 2007.
I recently removed a bunch with Sigil S&R.
Your edit and other (style) clues would back up Word was involved.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Hmmm, yeah they seem to be residuals from Calibre .Lit->ePub conversion.

For some reason though, Sigil seems to move them from the bottom of the book to the very top. If I open the epub right after conversion, I can see the 3 blank pages if I skip to the very end of the book. Opening this file (the first time) in Sigil, shows the 3 files at the very bottom of the 'Text' folder. I make no changes and just re-save the file in Sigil and reopen it. The 3 files are now at the top 'text' files. Opening the epub in any viewer now shows 3 leading blank pages.

I thought the order of the HTML pages was predefined somewhere, is Sigil suppose to be reordering them automatically?

Since it seems that my Kobo extracts the cover of the book from the very first page, these 3 leading pages mess that up
Old 06-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
I thought the order of the HTML pages was predefined somewhere, is Sigil suppose to be reordering them automatically?
Attach the original epub file to a new issue on the tracker, I'd like to take a look at it. I think this reordering was probably caused by the XML files not being in the spine in the original epub, and then Sigil just added them to the bottom without a reading order specified. On save, they got a new, arbitrary reading order.

But again, this is all speculation. Create a new issue with the file.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
Stinger
Asha'man

Done.

Issue 460.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Hmmm, yeah they seem to be residuals from Calibre .Lit->ePub conversion.

For some reason though, Sigil seems to move them from the bottom of the book to the very top.
Whenever you open a book in Sigil that has temp files floating around (IE. ~cov0636.htm) any file preceeded by a ~ then on save Sigil takes those files and for lack of any other instructions throws the files to the front via (alphabetical sort) a predetermined sort order. I have seen this with temp files from covers. I just delete and files prefixed with a ~ before I save the file.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote