Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Cleared Out the pBooks!

I did it! Cleared off the shelves and overfilled the library's book drop box. They are gone and I have a wall of empty shelving to fill up again with rocks and gemstones. Sweet freedom and space!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When's the library book sale?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Soon, I imagine. It was mostly a lifetime's worth of college literature books, so hopefully they will be able to use them.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I sold 4 boxes of hard cover and paperback books to a local used book store. Less clutter feels so good.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Stuff the books - I'll have the gems and rocks .... then you'll have no use for the shelves.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oh, congratulations !! i'm jealous !! did you replace them all with ebooks, or just decide you wouldn't read them again so why keep them ?

i've been doing that too but it's been a slow and often painful process... there are some books i definitely want to keep and some i definitely don't need to but where do you draw the line ?? especially since i don't want to give away anything i would want to read again before i replace it with an ebook, and sadly, i have a LOT of books that aren't available as ebooks (yet ?). Léo Malet, i'm looking at YOU ! (among others). i love the Nestor Burma series and definitely want to have it around, but the editions i have now are those cheap pulp editions so they should really go as soon as possible. plus i have a LOT of them. *sigh* i wish i knew someone nearby with one of those scanners where you cut off the binding and drop the whole thing in... that would really make my life simpler. although with the proofing and the ocr error correction, it might also make me go right off Nestor Burma, and that would be a shame...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I could never give my pbooks away... As a matter of fact, I need lots more to fill our lounge...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I could never give my pbooks away... As a matter of fact, I need lots more to fill our lounge...
i might be able to help you out with that...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I did it! Cleared off the shelves and overfilled the library's book drop box. They are gone and I have a wall of empty shelving to fill up again with rocks and gemstones. Sweet freedom and space!
Lucky you.

I've been able to get rid of hundreds of books, but still have a few thousand on hand. I don't think I'll ever be pbook free though. To many non-fiction titles I doubt will ever be ebooks.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
). i wish i knew someone nearby with one of those scanners where you cut off the binding and drop the whole thing in... that would really make my life simpler. although with the proofing and the ocr error correction, it might also make me go right off Nestor Burma, and that would be a shame...
Oh! Don't try it with old yellowed fragile paper. It tears up into the machine at every few pages. You have then to fish tiny bits out and wind up typing everything by hand; after having to puzzle out the page. It happened to me while trying an old Bob Morane. I too wish I could find those old copies in ebooks .
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!

Tim got rid of all of his old electronic reference books - some talked about possibly sometine in the future having computers in our own homes! Imagine that! I had already given away my scifi collection, so these were mostly college textbooks of literature, so they really never go out of style.

I had been slowly clearing them out, but finally yesterday I thought, "You will never be able to read pbooks again. Just get rid of them." And it was easy after that.

If I ever want to re-read them, I know where to find them to download. See the blinking red arrow above the blue line and the link to "ebooks." Oh wait, there are no blinking arrows to draw attention to the link.

Geoff Sugar, you can have them. But you have to pick them up, because I ain't shipping them overseas!

We did keep all of our travel and art books - those are priceless to us!
Old 02-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post

We did keep all of our travel and art books - those are priceless to us!
So they are to me too!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Let's see, does any airline fly Scotland to Birmingham Ala ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Let's see, does any airline fly Scotland to Birmingham Ala ?
Naw, you have to change planes in Atlanta. Twice. And once in Dallas.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I have a few boxes I'm dropping off at the library soon (aka when I get off my lazy butt). Half of them are still packed up somewhere from when I moved back home. Trying to figure out if I should dig them out before I move or after.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote