Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-21-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Update on recent 'mobipocket only' issue at Fictionwise

Awhile ago, a bunch of people noticed some new titles at Fictionwise which were only available in mobipocket. Some of these became available in other formats later.

Anyway, I emailed several authors at that time and heard back from one of them (well, her assistant) assuring me that she was very concerned that fans were unable to buy the book in the format they had been accustomed to, and that she would look into it for me

Well, kudos to Kelley Armstrong's assistant for following through. I got an email yesterday which said:

"Here is what I found out: It was a mistake. The retailer had a problem with their system and many titles were temporarily unavailable in some formats, but they should have resolved that now, and you should be able to get it in your format. Sorry for the long wait to receive your answer."

So, it is not an plot by Evil Amazon to take over the word with their proprietary format after all And the book I wanted is now on sale, so bonus.

I said when this all broke that it was a lost sale as I for sure would have bought the book were it available in eReader format. I am true to my word. Now that is *is* available, I did buy it. And it pleases me that one of my favourite authors actually did care about their fan enough to look into this for me. Thanks, Kelley Armstrong's assistant!

Last edited by ficbot; 11-21-2008 at 08:24 AM.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thank you for the update ! i'm glad to hear that it's not an evil plot for world domination. and also that some authors are concerned enough to look into such things. good news all around.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
stxopher
Nameless Being

You know that you could have kept this quiet a bit longer. I was actually starting to make headway on my wishlist. Now all that may fall by the side if I need to see which of my wanted lists went back to usable formats.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Yet Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Series are in secure mobipocket only.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Yet Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Series are in secure mobipocket only.
In many of the other cases, ebooks were MOBI only at FictionWise but Books on Board (say) had multiple formats. In this case, everyone seems to have only MOBI.

At FictionWise, Palgrave Macmillan and Macmillan still seem to be MOBI only.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2008, 11:45 PM   #6
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
yeah

Yeah I noted that this showed up a few months ago commented on: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28475

They do seem to release in other formats after a few weeks. I figured it was the publisher issue, as ooposed to an author issue.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Now we have a new issue at Fictionwise. Some of the new eBooks are not showing up at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote